LegacyGT.com

Strange Metallic Sound

Omen

I recently noticed that when I give the car some extra gas getting into first gear (when going up a hill or just giving it gas from a stop) I hear a metallic sound somewhat in the background of the regular engine sound. It's weird and the dealer said they don't hear anything and that it is normal.

The sound is not a rattle or a buzzing. It does not happen if I barely gas it, but when I'm taking off from a light and giving it some gas to get it going I hear the metallic sound every time.

Any thoughts on this?

No just a metallic sound that comes and goes with the rise in RPMs. Maybe it is just a normal engine sound but I have never heard it before. It is not loud it is faint but audible if listening for it. Don't know.

When I had this sound it turned out to be the front diff spider gears. The whole front diff was shot. I noticed this after making several tight 3 point turns. Oh yeah this was not related to the creaking and popping sound I have since received several thousand miles later. My car is back in the dealer now for 2 weeks due to a bad 4th gear syncro.

If it makes the sound only under boost its your wastegate control solenoid, mine does it and i hate it. The dealer had alot of people trying to find what the hell it was. atleast thats what they tell me it is?

I am noticing a similar noise as well. Mainly in first gear because there is little road noise at that point to cover it up. It occurs during clutch uptake and in the initial throttle input shortly thereafter. Kind of like a raspy metallic noise underneath the normal engine noise. Not a creaking or popping sound.

Ding Ding Ding.....Yes that is exactly it. Now we must find out if that is normal or not. Dealer says it is but they always say that. HHMMM. I'm going to keep my eye on it for it to get worse. Hoping it doesn't though. Thanks for chiming in I thought I was going mad.

Ding Ding Ding.....Yes that is exactly it. Now we must find out if that is normal or not. Dealer says it is but they always say that. HHMMM. I'm going to keep my eye on it for it to get worse. Hoping it doesn't though. Thanks for chiming in I thought I was going mad.

It's always good to know you're not going mad :D.

Does this sound get worse or louder if you mash the gas in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear?

Not for me it doesn't, mainly because engine and road noise are much louder at that point and cover it up. I think its probably normal, just some gears meshing or possibly clutch noise, but I'll keep my ears open too.

most likely it's your transmission gears. first and second wine like a bitch.

or if it's a ting ting ting rapid noise, or some say ping ping ping... :eek:

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

most likely it's your transmission gears. first and second wine like a bitch.

or if it's a ting ting ting rapid noise, or some say ping ping ping... :eek:

It definitely isn't the transmission, this noise is separate from that whiney thing. I suppose it could be a different noise from the transmission. I was listening to it closely today and I do hear the mystery noise in second gear during low speed as well. It occurs just after clutch uptake, so I'm pretty sure its not that. The noise doesn't increase with more throttle, stays about the same tone and consistency until it gets drowned out by the engine noise. I suppose it could be the turbo in its first stages of turning......it is kind of a metal ringing sound.

Maybe I'll get out a mic and make a clip.

Archived