LegacyGT.com

Stock springs: Konis or Bilstein HDs?

Casezilla

I'm going back to a stock spring setup and I'm wondering which of the 2 major damping options people recommend for these springs.

I've been running Epics+Konis for a while, but have recently found myself driving on crappy roads that are harsh and jarring with this setup. This car is strictly a DD at this point, so I'd like to move to a setup that's a bit more comfortable (while still avoiding the floaty/boaty feeling of the completely stock setup). And while I like the lowered look of the Epics, the ride extra ride height is just more practical for me right now. My Konis are nearing the end of their life, so I'm just going to replace the dampers at the same time.

Konis seem like the logical choice since they're cheaper, designed for the stock springs (from what I've heard at least), and adjustable. I'm fairly confident I'll be able to dial in an acceptable setting with Konis.

For me, the main draw of the Bilstein HDs is ease of installation. One of my current Koni'd struts recently developed a bit of a clunk in some situations, and I believe it's because I cut it a tad short. So, if I go the Koni route I'm going to have to find another donor strut and go through that process again. It'd be nice to be able to skip all that with the Bilsteins. However, I haven't seen too many reports from people using Bilsteins with the stock springs, so I'm hesitant to go that route.

So stock Spec Bs are Bilstein. I think the spring rates are pretty similar between them.

I have HDs with stock JDM springs and my understanding is they are pretty similar to the US OEM rate. I love them sporty and not too stiff.

However, lifetime warranty on Koni. Just get a busted OEM strut and throw your stockers on.

has anyone used this? i dont have stock struts so inserts are less appealing and looking for more bolt on options i found these

http://www.emnotek.com/p-5776-subaru-legacy-2005-2009-koni-sport-kit.aspx

The picture for those doesn't show any attachment points for the knuckle, so it would seem that you still need donor shocks for those too.

I have the Koni + stock springs and am happy with them. The roads here are atrocious, so it can be pretty harsh at times. On nicer roads they are relatively comfortable and very well-controlled.

The picture for those doesn't show any attachment points for the knuckle, so it would seem that you still need donor shocks for those too.

I have the Koni + stock springs and am happy with them. The roads here are atrocious, so it can be pretty harsh at times. On nicer roads they are relatively comfortable and very well-controlled.

Me too. I did have a front go bad leaking fluid, and by the time you pay the shop to replace the insert and align the front end, the "warranty" isn't exactly free coverage. The rears are not inserts; they bolt up as replacements.

First, don't take anything I say as gospel, though I mean well.

But, one thing might be to find a stock spec B setup: springs & struts. Maybe some Spec B owner bailed on them expecting ultimate track performance. Unfortunately spec B struts / shocks are way more expensive than HD's, not because they are better, but because they are Subaru part #'s. But, they are much "softer" than HD's. Yet, for DD, I bet they are just fine. My front HD's are too stiff. Great on decent roads, harsh on bad roads.

2nd thing, if Koni's have lifetime warranty, why wouldn't you try that approach first. Why not swap to your stock springs with fresh Koni's under warranty?

I've thought of trying Koni's because of their adjustability and reputation, though have a bias toward monotube.. But if you are forced to buy new struts or shocks, just know that HD's are pretty firm, though I have no idea how they compare to Koni's in that respect. All I know is KYB screwed the pooch when it came to Outbacks. I've loved their Gas-a-justs on other vehicles, but not their Excel/GR2's, or OEM equivalent, on Subarus. But we all know that.

BTW, GREAT Superbowl in progress!!

im replacing coilovers so i have no stock units to make koni's work. i just popped on hd's with H&R spings...hope they are a decent compromise but if they slide a bit more towards harsh.....i just plan to start driving more aggressively.....

I've got JDM Legacy GT bilsteins on my OBXT. Love the ride quality, and I drive some fairly rough roads. It's not like a rolls, but I do want some feedback too. The main advantage of the bilstein is that it's an inverted struts, which makes them have considerably less unsprung weight.

Anyone know if the Konis set to full soft are stiffer or softer than the HDs?

Also, I've been reading more about the HDs and it sounds they sit a bit higher than stock in front after switching the top hats, spring seats, etc., to spec B parts. Can anyone confirm? If so, is that mostly cosmetic, or does it have performance implications as well (e.g. throws off suspension geometry)?

Anyone know if the Konis set to full soft are stiffer or softer than the HDs?

Also, I've been reading more about the HDs and it sounds they sit a bit higher than stock in front after switching the top hats, spring seats, etc., to spec B parts. Can anyone confirm? If so, is that mostly cosmetic, or does it have performance implications as well (e.g. throws off suspension geometry)?

Koni's full soft are softer than the HDs. They seem to sit slightly higher in the front. It doesn't have any performance implications that an alignment won't fix.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm gonna go with the Bilsteins. I figure if I don't like them, I can send in my Konis to be rebuilt, then swap back to a Koni setup.

Any point in considering replacing my front springs with stock '06 spec B springs? After some searching, it sounds like this may reduce the lift in front that occurs with the stock GT springs.

Also, the Fred Beans kit seems to include every single component, rather than only what's required...anyone know what exactly I need to replace with spec B parts to support the Bilsteins? Is it just the front strut tops? Front dust covers too (spec B does have a different p/n for these)? Any new nuts, spacers or washers? Am I right in my understanding that I won't need to reuse the front bump stops, because the Bilsteins have built in bump stops (since they are inverted)?

Konis have a lifetime warranty. you can get them replaced for free! spend 0$, call koni.

Doesn't the warranty just cover defects? That's what it sounds like based on the text on Koni's site. If it covers wear too, first off, wow! Second, how does Koni determine if they are worn enough for warranty replacement? If they actually test to confirm they are indeed completely worn out, I'm not sure mine have reached that point yet. I have almost maxed out the rebound adjustment while compensating for wear (initially started in the middle of the range) and am no longer happy with with the ride quality. But, I think this is partially due to me now driving on crappy roads more often, and partially due to being on stiffer aftermarket springs. I have a feeling I'd get a lot of additional miles out of the Konis if I switched back to the stock springs. That makes me think they aren't technically worn out, and might not be accepted under warranty if Koni tests them. Is that how it works?

If the op is interested in selling his epic Springs I'd be interested. Not thread jacking....

If I'm satisfied with the stock spring setup, I'll be interested.

I flipped flopped again and decided to just fix up the clunking front passenger strut and switch back to stock springs with my existing Konis and just run that setup until the Konis are truly KOed.

I'll either do the work this weekend or next weekend, depending on when the donor strut arrives. So within a couple weeks at most I'll know whether I want to sell the Epics.

Archived