LegacyGT.com

Stock clutch--> Spec--> now ACT

what

75,000 miles and I am on my third clutch. SWEET! I am being totally sarcastic. All 3 clutches are quite a bit different. The stock clutch just plain sucks, I think everyone knows that pretty much. So I wont talk about that much. The stock clutch is good for daily driving at stock power levels, and thats it.

So then I went to a Spec 2+ with the stock flywheel still being used. This clutch never slipped, until the clutch disc was basically completely gone about a month ago. So that clutch lasted around 40,000 with street driving and drag racing for about 2 years. I was quite dissapointed with the short life. But it did give me what I wanted, something I could dragrace with and drop the clutch without it slipping. When the clutch was taken out 2 days ago, the rivets that hold the clutch pads on were actually digging into the flywheel, but it was still holding. I could still drive the car. If I went full boost in 3-5 gear, it would chatter. But it still worked fine for just regular driving. So, I would have to say that the spec pressure plate really does apply a lot of pressure.

So now I have the ACT stage 1, and ACT lightweight flywheel. It seems to hold just as well so far as my Spec 2+ clutch, which is a puck style clutch. So I am hoping for longer life out of the ACT because its not a puck style. The ACT clutch with the lightweight flywheel engages almost just like my Spec clutch did. So that I am used to, but if you go from stock to the ACT stage 1 it grabs a lot faster and pressure plate does have a lot more clamping force it seems.

The clutches do engage differently though. With the ACT clutch you can really feel it almost click with your foot when the clutch is engaged. The Spec clutch you cant really feel it. So I think that is going to be nice with the ACT clutch. The car as a whole even drives a lot different with the ACT clutch and lwfw. It does rev faster, which is great, but its jerkier. It acts less like a turbo car. So now I know why Subaru puts a heavy flywheel and hard material clutch in this car. I really dont care that it jerks around, cause I constantly floor it anyways. But for those who want a smooth luxury feel car, a high performance clutch isnt going to help that.

I am happy with the ACT clutch so far. I just hope it lasts longer than my last 2 clutches. I have spent like $2500 already in new clutches and installation. I would have loved to spend that money on other things. I hope this info might be good for anyone whos looking at new clutches.

That was a nice write up....use more paragraphs in the future for ease of reading :)

I enjoyed the driveability factor of the multiple clutches....individuals like me, who wouldn't intend to go beyond ~250 whp, but who want a nice easy clutch engagement for daily driving, would seem to want the stock clutch even though it may not last beyond 60k (with no launching).

Joe

What?, Thanks for this usefull writeup.

You mentioned you don't care about a smooth luxury feel because you usually drive hard, as a lot do at StgII. However, some of us are concerned about bumper to bumper situations. Is the jerkiness really bad or is it something you just have to get use to?

I know with my luck the first day I drive with this setup I will be in bumper to bumper traffic on an incline for 2 miles.

Did you consider the WRX flywheel? I believe this is less jerky and drives close to stock.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

My 06 Civic SI is about as jerky as can be in bumper to bumper, due to poor throttle programming (DBW from hell), incredibly short gearing, and a flywheel that weighs like 8 pounds (I think it's between 8-13, don't remember).

It's quite annoying, but as long as you are not in it everyday you won't curse the car.

Much.

God I can't wait to own a smoother car (in another 40-60k miles...)

Joe

My stock clutch only lasted like 10k at stage 2 levels. It was slipping like crazy. Plus I wanted to launch for drag racing, and the stock clutch would just slip. So if you dont launch a car at all, the stock one should last longer.

As for the jerkiness, the ACT clutch is getting better. The engagement with the pressure plate is closer to the floor when pushing the clutch pedal. So as soon as you let off a little its grabbing. The Spec pressure plate was more middle of the pedal movement. This engagement point may be adjustable, I really have no idea. Maybe someone who installs clutches could say. With both the Spec and ACT pressure plates the clutch pad just grabs quicker and with more force. So there is less area for smooth clutch engagement. With practice, that I am sure could get better. Or with the heavy flywheel, that would probably also help some.

I am looking forward to dragracing the ACT clutch with the lwfw and see if my times change at all. I am also interested to see how this clutch works with launching. I am not going to drag race nearly as much though because I would like to get atleast 60k out of this one.

I'm coming up on 40k on my stock clutch and it's fine. I've been stage 2 since 10k miles and stage 3+ since 25k miles.

Do you ever run full boost?? Thats pretty amazing that yours is still good.. ha ha. Mine didnt last long at all. Mine was slipping very soon after I went stage 2.

If I drove my car as hard as you do, I would have not installed a full face clutch disk. Puck style clutches, IMO, are better suited for your driving style. 40K miles seems like a pretty useful lifespan from a clutch installed in an AWD car with consistent launching... to me anyway.
ignore him, he'll go away.

So its been 5 days now on the new ACT clutch and lwfw.. and I am liking it even more and more. It is also getting easier to get into gears without jerking around as much. One problem I had when I got was that the car revs easier and faster, so I was used to having to hold down the gas for a second or 2 before the revs came up, so it was a habit I had to change with the new lwfw. So if any of you go with the lwfw, it took me a couple days to get used to.

I also found there was a learning curve in changing shift habits with the ACT LWFW.

I would not hesitate to recommend it over the OEM unit though. Shifts better, revs better....

The WRX FW may be a nice compromise for those with a lot of S&G traffic or having to stop/start on a lot of hills. I could see where that may be more difficult.

Love mine though..

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

I'm still on my stocker with a full year on a 20G and a full year at Stage 1 and then Stage 2 power. It hasn't slipped at all unless I really try and launch the car, and then it just gets overpowered.

I want to run some good times at the track this year, so I think a stronger clutch will be in the cards for me very soon.

Thanks for the review.

Dave

________

Arrya

Do you ever run full boost?? Thats pretty amazing that yours is still good.. ha ha. Mine didnt last long at all. Mine was slipping very soon after I went stage 2.

the car has been driven fairly hard. never to the strip or launched very hard, but it's spent plenty of time @ WOT.

I like my ACT clutch and LWFW but the car is jerky and there is an obvious increase in NVH which I kind of learned to avoid: it is like a harmonic resonator: only at certain rpm and certain gears.

Archived