LegacyGT.com

Still waiting for my 3.0 GT

So, Subaru has a 3.0R Legacy and a 2.5 GT Legacy.

When, WHEN are they finally going to put two and two together and offer a 3.0 GT Legacy? (An sti Legacy, maybe?)

How cool would that be? A turbo boxer 6!

I'm sorry, as good as the boxer four is, you can only do so much with four cylinders.

Let the smaller lighter cars have the fours. Everything in the Legacy's class has a performance six model (turbo 3-series, AMG C-Class, S4, S-Type TL (though the TL is FWD so it's crap), S60 (ok, that's only a five) etc...).

I'd justify paying $35k+ for a 3.o GT, STILL save thousands over a BMW and have something cooler (and nicer IMO) than a BMW.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Subaru can justify a Legacy going faster then their flagship WRX/STI. I would be down for one! Correct me if I'm wrong, was the Supra the last 6 cylinder Turbo import? anyhow, a Turbo 6 would be a MONSTER! on top of AWD!!!

Everything in the Legacy's class has a performance six model (turbo 3-series, AMG C-Class, S4, S-Type TL (though the TL is FWD so it's crap), S60 (ok, that's only a five) etc...).

I haven't seen a performance 6-cylinder version of the Camry, Accord, Maxima, TSX, Mazda 6, etc. I think you're a bit confused as to the Legacy's direct competitors...

-Mike-

I haven't seen a performance 6-cylinder version of the Camry, Accord, Maxima, TSX, Mazda 6, etc. I think you're a bit confused as to the Legacy's direct competitors...

-Mike-

ummm what??

minus awd and they aren't that bad.

mazdaspeed 6 actually has gotten 13.7 from owners stock. that beats the all mighty spec b.

IF the mazdaspeed 6 was in an auto of some sort i wouldnt be here right now.

it's got better braking, cornering, etc than the gt/3.0.

the lexus is350 whoops the ass of any stock gt/3.0. fairly close to the 1/4 mile of 06 sti. not bad for a 3.5 liter 6.

tsx is 4cylinder man and my stock 5eat...ahem...trust me, they dont stand a chance not even with my a/c on and no brake torque.

anyways...half of those you mentioned have 3.5 liter 6's. the mazda 6 i think is getting one soon. the gt is already underpowered according to the competition and they get better gas mileage and trap speeds. the gt is not the balls of the world. in 05 it was good, in 07 it's mediocre.

IF and i mean IF subaru wants to have some kind of performane in the market, they need 300hp. otherwise they will be left behind and i surely will move on. btw, the new 335i is about as quick (heard quicker in some areas) than the out going m3. it also runs side to side of an sti. i don't mean to spoil your dreams of subaru being the balls, it's just not. in todays world they are mediocre.

I don't think Subaru can justify a Legacy going faster then their flagship WRX/STI. I would be down for one! Correct me if I'm wrong, was the Supra the last 6 cylinder Turbo import? anyhow, a Turbo 6 would be a MONSTER! on top of AWD!!!

the sti is for kids man.

legacy sti if for men.

on paper they are what? 200lbs difference from one another?? Subaru doesn't HAVE to water down the gt but they do. fit and finish is nothing to brag about in my 07 gt. body panel gaps are kinda big as well.

legacy sti with paddle shifters is what's needed next. not with 50 extra hp either. it could easily be 350 or more. anyways...

^^ So, on to a 335i you go. Spend the extra 15K, and we'll see who's complaining, down the line.

Lots of people I know, even on this board, went from WRX's to LGT's. For subaru, to make a turbo'd 6..., they have the better model, in Australia. It's just SOA that is SOL! and puts out cars that don't compete with the world.

Who knows what the future will bring....but if an LGT doesn't meet your needs anymore, I think you need to move up to those cars that cost about 7-20K more than an LGT.

Good luck.

^^ So, on to a 335i you go. Spend the extra 15K, and we'll see who's complaining, down the line.

Lots of people I know, even on this board, went from WRX's to LGT's. For subaru, to make a turbo'd 6..., they have the better model, in Australia. It's just SOA that is SOL! and puts out cars that don't compete with the world.

Who knows what the future will bring....but if an LGT doesn't meet your needs anymore, I think you need to move up to those cars that cost about 7-20K more than an LGT.

Good luck.

in a few years i probably will. ive only had this thing for 9 months. until then, i'd rather spend 5-7k and make it decent.

it's funny though. bmw uses a 3.0 TWIN turbo awd 6 speed auto...etc etc... all the features people here beg for. all that crap isn't free.

IMO, right now, bmw turboing the engines put them ahead of the game. everyone else is playing catch-up. all subaru has right now is awd...hold up though, there are plenty of awd cars out there now. let's face it, the 2.5 turbo isn't THAT great.

you aren't gonna get a 3.0 turbo awd, feature loaded subaru for 30k. there will be shortcuts.

pay for what you get.

sure i have a 2.5 gt...i know it's not the balls. it's ok for what it is. everybody is hitting something right and something wrong. it's ALWAYS a case of picking the lesser of the evils while choosing what fits for you. IF i had 15k more, i'd prolly have a 335xi. wait for dinan then rape what ever subaru i run into.

also...remember that the sti/wrx was just an econobox with speed before the ltd packages came into play.

i'm not brand loyal. can you tell?

yeah...at 99mph. same as a "slower" Camry.

the 335i has a speed of about the sti. stock for stock.

seems that subaru is pretty good at stop lights but suckage at hgwy speeds.

I would put money on a is350 out running a sti at hgwy speeds.

And if you added 15K worth of parts to an STi, it would probably be in the territory of a current M3.

Speed is cheap these days...and AFAIK Subaru is STILL the ONLY one with a S-AWD system. Everyone else claims AWD, but it's never quite full-time AWD.

And bimmers are bimmers....they have a brand image, tons of cars selling, making millions/billions for R&D, Advertising, etc. etc.

Subaru doesn't sell all that many cars; heck, it's not even that big a company. But, the cars that they do come up with are easily modded, for cheap, mind you, and aren't at all that hard to maintain, or expensive to maintain, for that matter.

Alas, life goes on...buy what makes you happy. This is my third Sub...and I am happy as can be. I don't like the image that goes along with most of those cars, BMW's, Infinity's, Lexus's, etc. They are nice in their own right, but no one has Manuals...with anything good. Everything you want has to come with an auto...though, I realize more and more they are offering manual trannies...but, again, with a nice pricetag.

who cares about stock numbers :lol:

apples to apples right?

in that case...throw a turbo on the lexus is350 and see exactly what subaru has that will keep up modded or unmodded.

btw...the is350 runs with an auto and is 2/10 behind in the 1/4 of the sti with an edge in higher trap speeds. according to mags anyways...

i'm not bagging although it may sound like it, but subaru is not the end all and be all of cars. faaaaar from it.

-Mike-

The Accord doesn't have a performance model cause Honda has the TL, and the TL Type-S. They're FWD though, so what's the point? My wife and I drove the TL, and a 6-speed V6 Accord and were surprised how boring both models were. Even though we like Hondas ( I had a Prelude for awhile, awesome car, but FWD kinda ruined it ), we looked else were.

The Mazda 6 has the Mazdaspeed version.

The TSX is more suited to the WRX class, and the Maxima needs a performance version as well. But I don't think it'll help w/o RWD or AWD.

As for the Camry, driving a Camry is about as much fun as using a washing machine. There's no hope for it. Plus, Toyota can't build them fast enough, so I don't think they care. Even a Ford (yes I said the F-word) Fusion has more character, and AWD, but character doesn't sell cars. Reputation seems to be #1 selling feature. I personally would rather enjoy my drive to work, instead of it being just another chore in my day.

Subaru already has the engine and the turbo, just put the two together. It shouldn't be hard to market it since the sti is more if a younger-buyer performance car, where the 3.0 GT could be more of a civilized performance car, which is BMW's bread and butter. I like the new turbo inline six 3 series, but it cost well north of 40 grand. I think Subaru has a real opportunity here, BMW-like performance for sub $40k.

And if you added 15K worth of parts to an STi, it would probably be in the territory of a current M3.

Speed is cheap these days...and AFAIK Subaru is STILL the ONLY one with a S-AWD system. Everyone else claims AWD, but it's never quite full-time AWD.

And bimmers are bimmers....they have a brand image, tons of cars selling, making millions/billions for R&D, Advertising, etc. etc.

Subaru doesn't sell all that many cars; heck, it's not even that big a company. But, the cars that they do come up with are easily modded, for cheap, mind you, and aren't at all that hard to maintain, or expensive to maintain, for that matter.

Alas, life goes on...buy what makes you happy. This is my third Sub...and I am happy as can be. I don't like the image that goes along with most of those cars, BMW's, Infinity's, Lexus's, etc. They are nice in their own right, but no one has Manuals...with anything good. Everything you want has to come with an auto...though, I realize more and more they are offering manual trannies...but, again, with a nice pricetag.

ok...did the v8 m3 come out yet? even so, the 335i is about where the sti sits now. don't need the m anymore.

how is acura's awd?

if bmw was a pos car, it wouldn't sell. with the new 270hp camrys out there they had to do something.

competition sucks doesn't it? especially when it's better than a subaru...you pay for what you get. 30k on a subaru is still a 30k subaru.

The Accord doesn't have a performance model cause Honda has the TL, and the TL Type-S. They're FWD though, so what's the point? My wife and I drove the TL, and a 6-speed V6 Accord and were surprised how boring both models were. Even though we like Hondas ( I had a Prelude for awhile, awesome car, but FWD kinda ruined it ), we looked else were.

The Mazda 6 has the Mazdaspeed version.

The TSX is more suited to the WRX class, and the Maxima needs a performance version as well. But I don't think it'll help w/o RWD or AWD.

As for the Camry, driving a Camry is about as much fun as using a washing machine. There's no hope for it. Plus, Toyota can't build them fast enough, so I don't think they care. Even a Ford (yes I said the F-word) Fusion has more character, and AWD, but character doesn't sell cars. Reputation seems to be #1 selling feature. I personally would rather enjoy my drive to work, instead of it being just another chore in my day.

Subaru already has the engine and the turbo, just put the two together. It shouldn't be hard to market it since the sti is more if a younger-buyer performance car, where the 3.0 GT could be more of a civilized performance car, which is BMW's bread and butter. I like the new turbo inline six 3 series, but it cost well north of 40 grand. I think Subaru has a real opportunity here, BMW-like performance for sub $40k.

he said performance not fun to drive.

last i heard a tl pulled a .9 on the skid pad fwd or not. brakes that are crazy and some fat ass tires. IF it had awd, subaru would lose tons of sales and probably fail.

also...the ONLY thing wrx has over a madzaspeed 3 is awd.

apples to apples right?

in that case...throw a turbo on the lexus is350 and see exactly what subaru has that will keep up modded or unmodded.

is350 is RWD 6, legacy is AWD turbo 4.....apples and oranges

My point is; I like my LGT, LOTS of value for the $. I'd like my next car to be a Subaru but they don't have anything, so BMW it will probably be.

So, at min cost to Subaru, take their existing turbo, and their existing 3.0 six, and make the next level.

Yes, the TL Type-S would be the perfect choice if it were RWD, or RWD based AWD like the BMW. Or, even better, like Subaru designed ground up AWD.

is350 is RWD 6' date=' legacy is AWD turbo 4.....apples and oranges[/quote']

what exactly is the point in modding?

more power?? for what?? racing? street racing?

subaru isn't that great man.

start modding both and see what happens.

there would be a 1000hp lexus well before a subaru.

and you forgot one thing...is250 awd. gs350awd. mod either and again see who gets raped.

what exactly is the point in modding?

more power?? for what?? racing? street racing?

subaru isn't that great man.

start modding both and see what happens.

there would be a 1000hp lexus well before a subaru.

and you forgot one thing...is250 awd. gs350awd. mod either and again see who gets raped.

more power...to have more power. i never said subaru was perfect man. your wallet is going to get raped when modding the lexus. good cars yes. but i'll take my nice little 27K Subaru with a few mods that can deliver the same zip or more as a 40K+ lexus (stock). lexus prices are not for every one or the additional cost of modding them.

1000hp, who cares....nobody could afford it but rockstars and sports stars.:rolleyes:

perhaps you've forgotten you only mentioned the is350.

Just buy an Enzo Ferrari and that'll solve all your problems.

For those of us w/o unlimited funds, a Subaru offers more bank-for-the-buck than Infinity, Lexus or BMW. The only problem is Subaru's "bang" stops with the LGT. So, for still < 40K, Subaru could have a serious performer with the 3.0 GT.

Archived