LegacyGT.com

Stiffer springs and shocks without lowering it?

toomanytoyz

Hey Guys,

I would like to get stiffer spring rates all around on my 05 LGT wagon and firmer shocks. This suspension is too mushy at 107K miles, and the driver's rear sits a good 3/4" lower than the passenger side, so I am pretty sure that spring is toast... And the quarters are chewing the hell out of my brandy-new tires, even though there is a good 2 1/2" of wheel gap! Like I said, mushy. Might as well upgrade.

What springs have a higher spring rate, but DO NOT lower the car? I like my factory ride height for the snow we get up here.

What shocks are recommended? (Yes, I know they are actually struts) Are the Bilsteins the way to go? Or is there a more cost effective route that'll get me the same thing?

Does anything interchange with the wrx/sti/impreza stuff and is it worthwhile?

Yes I searched, and no, I couldn't find what I wanted. :p

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Yeah, but isn't the stock stuff sourced from KYB? I'd like to upgrade if I'm spending the money, not just return to stock. But thanks for the suggestion. :)

And I still need to address the spring issue. Does anyone make a "cargo" spring?

I never rode the Bilsteins before. You don't have to get the JDM ones, they have the regular Bilsteins. I know that if you use your stock springs for Bilsteins, the height of your car will be like a monster truck.

The Konis are nice as they are adjustable compared to the Bilsteins. Both are great struts and will give you a much better ride. As far as springs go, they pretty much all lower the car by some degree. I believe the STi pink springs lower it the least and will give you a firm ride.

Another thing to remember is that with a 107k on the car the bushings will be worn. Replacing those could make the car feel almost new again. Primarily shifter bushings, engine/trans mount, LCA if you havent done them already are all great ways to keep the car feeling lively.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

There are no stock height stiffer springs. Someone (Epic? MSI? There's a thread here somewhere) was planning to make one but it never panned out.

The Koni struts where designed to be used with the stock spring though you can definitely use that combo.

JDM LGT springs are purportedly stiffer than USDM LGT springs and don't drop the car. However, my experience that, when coupled with Bilstein HDs and the required Spec B/Bilstein-style top hats, they actually lift your front end about 5/8". :(

Your best bet would be to run stock USDM springs w/ Konis or, if you don't mind a taller front end, JDM LGT wagon springs w/ Bilstein HDs.

JDM LGT springs are purportedly stiffer than USDM LGT springs and don't drop the car. However, my experience that, when coupled with Bilstein HDs and the required Spec B/Bilstein-style top hats, they actually lift your front end about 5/8". :(

Your best bet would be to run stock USDM springs w/ Konis or, if you don't mind a taller front end, JDM LGT wagon springs w/ Bilstein HDs.

I agree. I kept the original springs when I changed out to Konis and Whiteline LCAs at 75,000 miles. A world of difference.

I'd like to see a shot of yours on the pinks. Is it a wagon?

I bought a set of used coilovers to see how I like them. Kills a lot of birds with one stone, and it was cheaper than kyb's and springs! ;) I like the fact that I can set my own ride height, stiffness, compression and rebound. Woot.

I also bought a set of low mile (7K) Tein H-techs used. Scored them before the coilovers. So I have a like-new set for sale for cheap. ;)

Anyone know the approx time needed to swap out just the shocks on an 06 LGT? I called my subaru dealer in town and they said it was an 8 hour job.....is that right?!??

My mechanic just did mine in about 2.5 hours or so. Struts, springs, AND the Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace.

BTW OP I didn't take pics yet as I was advised that the springs still have to settle for about a week with normal driving. So I'll take a pic of how they sit next week. I did end up using 3/8" saggy butt spacers in the rear and also had to extend the studs.

Eight hours sounds excessive. A shop should be able to replace all four in 2 or 3 hours. I did mine four years ago and I think it took me around four hours to get all four. It was my first time changing struts/shocks on my Subie, so I was taking my sweet time and making sure everything was torqued down to spec.

Archived