LegacyGT.com

Sti STS vs The Rest

No, if had it to do over, I would go with a Kartboy or Cobb. I still wonder 6 years later, if my OEM STS is really what they say it is.

Go after market.

If you put one in your civic, go with the Skunk2 single bend. Everything else is a POS compared to it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^ I'll second this - the STI STS is shorter throws, but stock height. This makes more some slightly ackward shifting based on the height of the stick. The Kartboy and Cobb end up having a shorter stick, which I think makes for a more natural shift (for the shorter throw distance). After having driven both (mine has the STI STS, versus my friends with the Kartboy) I would take the Kartboy in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the input everyone ... Kartboy STS sounds like a winner

If you put one in your civic, go with the Skunk2 single bend. Everything else is a POS compared to it.

Lol...I actually have the skunk2 dual bend in the civic and love it!

I really liked the Cobb adjustable shifter on my WRX because I could adjust the height and throw to my preference. Personally I prefer a tall shifter (Gr N rallycar style) so the knob is only a hand span away from the steering wheel. I have a long torso, so the really short shifters seem like a long reach down for me. The Cobb allows a high knob but still a short throw.

I would highly recommend the kartboy shifter. Ive had it on my car since about 5 days after I bought it. Great purchase.

This. I have a Kartboy STS + bushings on my Spec B. I had the 5 speed Kartboy STS on my WRX. Great mod for the $$$.

Tom sent me candy in the mail with my purchase too! /no pedo.:)

You will be very happy with the Kartboy STS. Get the bushings as well.

ive had bad luck with sts, always felt they made the gearbox feel notchy. is this still the case with lgt st shifters?

You must be used to a Honda, all my Legacy's shifter/tranny's have felt notchy

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

+1 for the Kartboy as well, have had it for about 2 weeks, absolutely love it. Can tell the stock knob is lower, but will probably get a Delrin STi knob to reduce the height a little bit more. Had the stock STS in my 06 WRX and the Kartboy wins imo

How is the noise? Ive heard there is vibration, and Im worried about any noise as a result of this. Rattles drive me crazy.

If installed correctly and lubed (the shifter bushings that go on both sides of the shifter), there is ZERO noise or vibration.

I had to dremel the lower shifter plate on my Cobb STS for certain settings (Depending on the lower shifter lever adjustment) I have the kartboy on my WRX . If I were to do it again I would stick with the kartboy even though it can't be adjusted like the Cobb, they seem to get it right from the start.

Here is a link to page 3 of the write up/install guide. Alot of them mention dremelling the metal shroud to get it to fit, though in the write up he says he flips the shroud 180 degrees and it fit OK.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/kartboy-sts-front-bushings-install-16708p3.html

Question: Are the bushings necessary? Both front and rear?

what does the brushing really do?

i have sti short shifter on my 08 specb. it doesnt feel like it bites in to the gears or has that stiff feeling very soft imo, but other then that i like it and i cant compare with others but stock one which was too long in every way.

I had the KB sts on my 98 impreza and made a world of difference in throw and feel.. I like the detailed notchy feel, it just felt more like I was in control. I also had the front bushings and didn't notice a HUGE difference, but it was good i replaced them b/c my one-piece bushing was starting to deteriorate. The KB bushings are a little stiffer and are 2-piece as opposed to the standard rubber 1-piece bushing stock....theoretically it should affect feel. Def. go with the shifter, skip the bushings if you want, but Oakos automotive sells the bushings for cheaper when you get the shifter!

I just ordered my KB STS and I cannot wait to get it into my new LGT!!!

what does the brushing really do?

i have sti short shifter on my 08 specb. it doesnt feel like it bites in to the gears or has that stiff feeling very soft imo, but other then that i like it and i cant compare with others but stock one which was too long in every way.

I just put both the front/rear bushing on yesterday and WOW what a differnce. You know when you're in gear! When you shift, it simply goes in with a good/firm feel. It's really tough to describe, however makes all the complaints go away!

Archived