LegacyGT.com

STI Brembo's Front & Rear....Finally!!!

edmundu

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you know that I have finally, completed my STI Brembo brake setup! I have had the fronts on since July, and because noone has fitted these to a LGT (except for eavr4 who is in Singapore) there was a lot of trial and error.

I have been working with TWR Racing on this project, and although the WRX R160 Kit was supposed to be a bolt on, being that our brakes are interchangeable, it was NOT! There are enough differences between them that I had to have a custom bracket machined here locally. Of course from attempting to put on the rear setup 3x and failing all 3x, I knew what had to be done, and we used the existing bracket as a template. As a bonus, my new custom brakcets are made out of Titanium, rather than the 6061 Aluminum. These are much stronger, and lighter! I was able to get it done in Ti only because the shop had a small block leftover from another job, and it would have cost me a few $$ to have it done in Al anyway.

Anyhow, I had picked up my new brackets the other day, and tonight I was able to fit them! My measurements were right on the money! I actually needed to shim the left rear, but not the right. Pictures speak louder than words, and of course I will post pics, but I only have a few shots with the wheel off, and since it was dark, they aren't the best showing. I can snap a few shots tomorrow though.

Of course I need to break in the rotors, as well as the pads(Ferodo ds2500), but I have already noted an increase in pedal stiffness & response! And I had already been running with SS lines F&R, and they were a step up from stock as well, but these Brembo's are AWESOME!!!

Just to note, I only have the caliper's from the STI, the lines, pads, & rotors have all been upgraded! Pads are Ferodo ds2500 Clubsport, SS lines are Goodridge, and the Rotors are full floating 2pc fronts, and 2pc rears, with billet aluminum hubs Front & Rear!

And Finally here are the Pics:

Edit: Forgot to add the Front pics!

Edit: I took some more shots!

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/8735/smdscf04419hs.th.jpg http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/1038/smdscf04407lr.th.jpg http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/3721/smdscf04392qb.th.jpg http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/613/smdscf04374vi.th.jpg

Sm100_4079.JPG.333989ac4b42faba40e5263478610673.JPG

SM100_4081.JPG.7cf78d77af6fc2aa0dea312f36329d11.JPG

SM100_3073.JPG.35e8068df292dfc2eaaab7bf96f3137d.JPG

SM100_3074.JPG.00dbe2535b26580b22f764660dfc3fa7.JPG

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmmdef: You'll get your turn soon enough Dave! First I need to be gentle on the rotors, for a few heat cycles, and then bed the pads in. So by next week, it should be all taken care of.

Racingfish: Final Costs as in Total Conversion price? Or just what it cost to have the custom brackets made? I'll give you both, but they aren't cheap! With selling my stock brakes, my total costs on this project was in the $2,250 range, give or take a few bucks. The custom brackets were $160 alone. By fat the most expensive part, and frustrating, was the rear setup! My costs on it basically equaled what a NEW rear Brembo kit cost, but what I gained were 2pc rotors, better pads, and I was able to keep the dustshields! Plus I never liked the slotted/drilled look, and that's the only way they sell them.

Nsaglibene: I will take some full shots today!

^ +1 Gorgeous - STi/Brembo gold + ABP = teh w1n. :)

I'm totally jealous....and bro, take a pic or two of the trick Ti brackets, too! You should have them "Strider-flamed" to add bliing! ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Totally nice indeed. I remember that driveway!! hehe. and it's finally done. BTW how's the young'en, and the wife? Hope they aren't too mad!

Thanks! The wife and boy's are doing well!

Xenonk: Yes, you are right, this is a 5x100 setup. No hubs/knuckles were replaced, just the braking components!

Jesse: No problem, I'm sure we can figure out a good time for all of us. I'm going to try to make the next Palisades Meet! I might have another surprise by then.....stay tuned......

Wow, that's awesome! Where's the $ shot of the caliper bracket?!

That'll have to wait another day! But really, other than it being super light, it is almost identical looking to the 6061 Al bracket. Plus you only see a piece of it, as the rest is hidden by the rotor & backingplate.

Edmund, looks good. I remember seeing the car with the fronts on when I bought your stock wheels.

Are you selling your stock brake setup? Let me know, b/c it would make a nice little upgrade for my Forester.

Edmund, looks good. I remember seeing the car with the fronts on when I bought your stock wheels.

Are you selling your stock brake setup? Let me know, b/c it would make a nice little upgrade for my Forester.

Edit: Meant to pm you!

Dam thats sick, but I'm pretty pissed that the Brembos don't just bolt up like everyone is saying, thank god I didn't take these peoples advice and go out and buy them.

Well, the fronts do! And my rear kit was for a WRX R160, with 2pc rotors, and had never been fitted to a LGT before, hence the hard time to get everything to work.

Archived