LegacyGT.com

Starting / running issues 1990 Legacy L

STATXXX

I just bought a 1990 Legacy L w/the 2.2 engine, and it runs reeeeeally bad. At first cold start, it actually starts fairly quick and revs to about 2500 rpm before idling way down, and it's a very rough idle. When pressing the gas pedal, it will initially rev up, but will not hold the rpm, it's like I am pumping the gas pedal but in reality I'm holding the pedal down. When warm, it will not stay running at all, and I have to have my foot in the pedal to get it to fire at all. Once it's running, it will not rev when pressing the gas pedal, it just bogs and sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders. Ok now for something interesting (and what I did to get the thing home LOL) I unplugged the MAF sensor to see if it made a difference, and when the MAF is unplugged, it actually runs better, it runs a hair smoother and actually accelerates when I get on the gas, although if I let the gas all the way out it still dies. I tried this with the TPS too, but nothing different happened.

I would appreciate any help y'all could provide, I really wanna drive this thing :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update:

I replaced the MAF sensor and it smoothed out, and the dingbat I bought it from had broken the IAC trying to remoive it LOL so new IAC as well and it runs like a champ :D Still giving me a knock sensor code but the running problem is fixed :)

I also own a first generation Legacy and have been told "If you encounter a complaint with code 22, it will be necessary to replace the affected Knock Sensor with a new one - part number 22060AA031" It's up to you as to whether or not that's worth it.

Hah yeah I pulled the knock sensor off and it has infinate resistance across the windings LOL I built a 560k resistor and wired that in place, no more CEL and it cost a whopping 6 bucks :) Thanks for the suggestions and help all, it's much appreciated!!

• 4 years later...

I have been searching posts for similar problems to mine and saw yours and thought I should start here. I have had fault codes for O2 sensor, Canister purge valve, MAF sensor fault and knock sensor. I have also read that my problem could be from sticky valves - would like any input you all may have.

Problem is the car will start fine run fine for a while then will die or stutter some (if I pump accelerator peddle) then die. It will start right back up again and maybe run or maybe just die again. This can go on constantly or it might run fine for awhile before doing it again. A sour smell (not a raw gas smell or typical exhaust smell but a foul unusual smell). I have cleaned the MAF sensor w/ CRC MAF cleaner but have not repalaced other items showing up on fault codes - don't want to start replacing (money tight right now) until I can pin point what is wrong. It seems to be related to the ECU or electronics but what I read about sticky valves on late model legacys also makes some sense. Supposedly I did have some stuck valves on the left hand head after the car had been parked for 6-months but I don't know for sure since when I got back I checked valves (valve cover off and could depress valves by hand) and strted the car up and drove it for a couple months before this problem started occurring.

Sorry for the long winded post but figured I should get all I know into it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

What's the car? If it's a first gen (90-94) legacycentral.org might be more helpful, if second or third (95-99, 00-04) sl-i.net might be a better resource.

A little Seafoam or carb cleaner in the IAC can be helpful, but you might also have a vacuum/intake and/or exhaust leak.

Archived