LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 (cont'd)

fishbone

Thread revival. So Jarrad and I thought we had this shit dialed in, per my last logs, barely any knock, -1.76 timing pulled here and there which I was seeing even on the stock tune. Well, surprise surprise, last night I pulled some more logs, -8 degrees FBK. Same tune, same gas, SAME PUMP, same outside temps as a year ago. Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints, makes my skin crawl thinking how many WOT runs I've had since then and I've been filling up exclusively from the same BP pump.

I think them f-ers honestly dumped regular on top of whatever premium gas was left in the pump. I'm going to siphon out a few gallons and go hit up Sunoco 95 racing gas. Then I'm going to give Shell another shot, we got a brand new pump that's not even a year old where I live and they have 92 as opposed to 91.

Nebraska has some downright shitty gas. Apparently it's a gamble. I was up in Canadaland couple weeks ago and I filled up with Sunoco 94 for the same price I get crappy 91 in my state.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seriously man. who the f knows what dumbasses are putting what fuel into what tank. i'm sure this stuff is screwed ALL the time. 93 in the 87 tank, 87 in the 93 tank blah blah. and they probably think, "oh this doesn't even matter, it's all the same stuff anyway."

back in the day when i was young(er) i wanted to move myself to vancouver and live the rest of my life there. they have it good.

You are not alone. I think it has something to do with transitioning from winter to summer fuel. I had the same thing on my car. I have a tune that ran perfectly clean with no knock for nearly a month(logged daily) after the turbo swap, then after a fill at a Shell station; I started getting serious low load cruising knock. I mean I went from ZERO knock on a 2 hour drive to being able to watch the knock count climb every time I touched the gas pedal. I'm not 100% sure what happened, but this sucks. I've pulled massive timing in the effected areas and it still knocks a little here and there.

I even tried adding a couple gallons of 100oct too and that helped a little, but it's still not right. I'm trying to drive it down to the bottom of the tank and try again. Hopefully it's just from a mix of winter and summer additives. Makes it real hard to tune when the gas is different every time you fill up:mad:.

Let's kick this pig!

Nope. It's the 110oct that's low lead. I'm driving my car down to fumes before I put any more gas in. I has been doing better though. I ended up pulling 6 degrees on everything below 1.15 load just to keep it happy while cruising. I just had to make a few little tweaks here and there to clean up my WOT runs. I still think it's the transition from winter to summer additives in the fuel.
Let's kick this pig!

Got gas the day before yesterday, 12 gallons on top of about 5 remaining of the old stuff. Shell 91. Still pulling timing, 6 was the most I've seen and 4-5 was the average. Looking a bit better so I think it's the gas. I'm going to try and get 2 gallons or so of E85 in there and see what happens.

So now that scandepot is gone, from what it seems, any other similar place to post logs? It was very convenient. Sad to see it go for whatever reason.

Good to know, I'll try that.

Since my Autonostics cable stubbornly hic-ups and ends up dropping data, I'm forced to datalog with the AP, which according to Jarrad is plenty for what he needs. It's got all the info he's looking for.

No FBKC parameter in AP however, there's only dynamic advance. So I'm trying to draw a paralel, what should I be seeing as far as that goes as compared to feedback knock correction? It is my understanding it's a sum of what's in the DA table and knock feedback. In other words, what numbers should make me go "oh sh-t" :D

Here are some logs. Should I be taking this over the tuning section?

9-25-08

Basically the last day I pulled logs before all this debacle. As you can see, pretty clean looking?

Then, come a few days ago, filled up at the SAME station, same pump, I get the other ones ...

I don't have the ones from last night handy, after I had gotten the 12 gallons of different gas, but I definitely didn't see anything over -6 deg of timing

9-25-08 6-23-PM.csv

9-25-08 8-38-PM.csv

4-22-09 8-20-PM 3RD-GEAR-WOT.csv

4-22-09 8-28-PM 5TH-GEAR-40MPH-WOT.csv

romraiderlog_20090422_201001.csv

romraiderlog_20090422_201203.csv

romraiderlog_20090422_201335.csv

romraiderlog_20090422_201928.csv

Good to know, I'll try that.

Since my Autonostics cable stubbornly hic-ups and ends up dropping data, I'm forced to datalog with the AP, which according to Jarrad is plenty for what he needs. It's got all the info he's looking for.

No FBKC parameter in AP however, there's only dynamic advance. So I'm trying to draw a paralel, what should I be seeing as far as that goes as compared to feedback knock correction? It is my understanding it's a sum of what's in the DA table and knock feedback. In other words, what numbers should make me go "oh sh-t" :D

ah so your VAG-COM cuts out during logging too? damn it, I'm gonna need to spring for a tactrix.

Just because mine cuts out doesn't mean yours will. Qikslvr's is rock solid. I just think I need to fiddle with the COM PORT settings, is all. Can't quite get it right it seems.

I'm going to just stick to datalogging with the AP for now. Hate not having FBKC plain as day though. For example dynamic advance of 1.0 means nothing to me :D

WHAT IF all this timing crap is a fabrication of the crappy Autonostics cable? Is that even a remote possibility?

Dude those logs look like SH!T! Your are pretty much knocking any time you are in boost. Your "Target" Dynamic Advance is set for 8 on the right side of the DA table. So yes if you add the FBKC number to the DA number you get the real target DA. Looks like he basically needs to pull about 8 degrees of timing in the higher load areas(across the RPMS) and drop the DA to about 4 and see how it runs.

Where's your boost? We may need to be looking for a vacuum hose that popped off or something. Ya, the high octane helped, but something else isn't right. We need to get together and log with my cable/laptop. You are missing data, but what is there is scary.

Let's kick this pig!

Here are the logs I pulled using the AP earlier today.

datalog7.csv is a 1-2-3rd pull. Look at that valve body mod go :lol: Grabs gears like a dream, eh? :)

How are they looking? Just as shitty?

So run dynamic advance by me again please? You add what and what? I basically peaked a -6?

Oh, and you're right. I haven't been watching boost on the AP, but I ain't seeing no 18+PSI on them logs.

datalog3.csv

datalog4.csv

datalog6.csv

datalog7.csv

someone commented on one of my logs i posted in the tuning forum that I was missing data like the connection cut out, this was just two days ago so it was odd to see someone else comment about the same issue.

So what do you think Qikslvr, this could be mechanically induced? The car feels absolutely the same. Anything I can inspect visually? Hoses? We clamped the vaccuum lines when we did my TMIC swap.

To reiterate, I did not add any race fuel or E85, this is "plane-Jane" 91 premium. My mistake was not running it dry on the supposebly "bad" fill. I had 5 gallons of the stuff left. I think that what I'm going to do is either run this one dry or add E85 or Sunoco 100. I want to eliminate the possibility of a tune too aggressive for our premium grade gas before I start getting into other stuff.

Here are 3 logs I pulled tonight.

Who stole my boost?!?

15 gallons of as good as it will ever get gas, Shell 91.

I think I heard whistling. It may be time to check/listen the up-pipe. Would it be possible that it developed a leak almost a year after I had the install done? The shop didn't listen to my instructions and reused the stock gaskets :spin:

Thoughts?

datalog1.csv

datalog2.csv

datalog4.csv

Sorry I missed your call the other day. I had a major computer failure to take care of.

Those look different and the boost looks a little more realistic. Did they change your map at all? Please take a couple logs and add-in Knock Sum and FBKC.

Let's kick this pig!

Hey man, I called you on a whim to have you listen my newly done hogzhaust :D

He has reviewed those logs and has sent me another revised flash that I have yet to post logs on here. Jarrad is the man, the guy seriously takes NO days off. He's sent me a reflash on a Sunday evening, not even an hour after I had e-mailed him logs.

Now I have revision 4 pending a reflash. Per revision 3 I have absolutely ZERO knock across the band and have hit 18PSI again, albeit only for a bit. Consistently over 17 though, so that's a start.

I can't add knock sum and FBKC because I'm logging with the AP :( My VAG-COM is still unreliable and at this point I just want to get a good map and then go from there.

I'll try to flash and log some more today. The good news is that I'll be at my parent's house out in the boonies so I should be able to get a clean 1,2,3 pull all the way to redline without fear of getting pulled over.

Archived