LegacyGT.com

SSR Comps problem -- advice please

specinvstr

SSR competitions in silver 18x8. Here is the problem, SSR does not make the rims in silver (they make similar ones Type C RS, but not in silver). I have two bent and banged up rims. The car vibrates a little...that's how bad the rims are...shop says they can't be balanced. Here are my questions:

1. What kind of damage would continuing driving on these banged up rims do?

2. Am I screwed because SSR does not make the competiions in silver anymore?

3. Time to man up and get 4 new rims?

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks. The two damaged rims have serious curb rash too. Not sure if straightening them will fix them up...

You might be surprised what can be fixed by a good shop. I have not (knock on wood) had to use any shops but have had a couple friends use Wheel Worx in Maryland to repair some damaged wheels. They came back looking like new w/o vibrations. May be worth looking into.

http://www.whlworx.com/

Depending on your location, there may be a good local wheel repair shop. You can ask some higher end dealerships where they get their factory wheels repaired. Good luck.

You might be surprised what can be fixed by a good shop. I have not (knock on wood) had to use any shops but have had a couple friends use Wheel Worx in Maryland to repair some damaged wheels. They came back looking like new w/o vibrations. May be worth looking into.

http://www.whlworx.com/

Depending on your location, there may be a good local wheel repair shop. You can ask some higher end dealerships where they get their factory wheels repaired. Good luck.

+1 to what he said. I've seen some nasty ass rims come back from repair shops in great condition.

Its usually less than buying a new set of rims, especially SSR's. I think Wheels America (close one to me) charges $125 per wheel. SSR's might be a little tougher to do and some lower quality or inexperienced shops might not do them because they take just a little more care, but reiterating other comments, you'd be surprised what a good shop can fix.

Thanks. The two damaged rims have serious curb rash too. Not sure if straightening them will fix them up...

the wheel shop i used fixed my curb rash like it was almost never there, the paint job they insisted on doing despite me just wanting the rash fixed was a whole different story.

tell them not to repait the wheel and just fix the rash and straighten the rim if that's all that needs done.

plan on ~99$ a rim or a bit more incl straightening

just get the rims fixed by a good shop, it make take awhile, but it's worth it to just fix them. my cousin had a set of some uber rare 17x9 SSR comps for a BMW fitment which he HIT the curb during a drift and took a chunk of the lip off.. the shop I took his rim to welded and fixed it right up. I cost him $200 to straighten the wheel and weld back the lip in place and polished it up.. you couldnt tell it was welded unless someone sat there and touched it with your finger to feel the slight bump. A new rim in that size would have been well over $480. Plus, it was the anthracite color (which is also discontinued just like your silver ones are). Well, all old original SSRs in the gold, silver, white and anthracite are discontinued. Tanabe bought up SSR and they introduced the new colors in the RS series (of full gunmetal and bronze). It's how they distinguish the old SSRs from the new ones that Tanabe bought up.

I wouldnt drive on bent rims for too long.. this puts a toll on the suspension parts and possibly the wheel bearing too. Dont drive at high speeds.. the oscillations just puts more wear on the rest of the car.

Oh, and dont early apex.. that's how most rims end up kissing the curb and having curb rash.. turn deep and late.

Keefe

Keefe, did you ever get that SSR comp I sold you straightened?

yea, it was so minor of a bend, only cost me $120 to get it fixed.. now it's sitting in my room as a wall ornament along with an AutoArt Big Red Caliper clock behind it. I was going to mount a Hooiser tire on the rim and have on my wall, but I didnt want to come up with tacky looking hanger for the whole thing. I should take a pic of it some time.. now i just need part of a fender, front bumper and and even part of a headlight so i can have some pop art for my wall.

Keefe

Levish, what wheel shop did you use? I am in Northern NJ. Anybody have suggestions for wheel shops in this area?

I'm in northern NJ as well and have used http://www.wheelcollision.com/ twice in the past.

They ARE going to have to repaint your wheel if it's bent. The process they use involves heat which will probably ruin the already painted surface. You will then at that point also have to get new decals if there are any there. If you can't get them they have a service where they will reprint them after scanning your old ones (for a fee).

Guest JessterCPA
Anybody familiar with USA Wheels LLC in Wayne, NJ?

Wayne?? Them's my parts! I have no clue where that is.

I hod my LGT rim straightened at Greg & Sons in Wayne. I knwo they sent it out somewhere, maybe it was there. :confused:

Jesse

edit: I found it. That's not in Wayne, it's in Fairfield, down Bloomfield Ave down by Home Depot near Pine Brook. That's like 2 miles from my office. Let me know if you go.

Basic Yahoo search turns up results of people who seem to liek them.

Yep, that is the spot Jesse.

I think they charged just under $200 a rim...these were seriously messed up. I might pick the car up today, so I will chime in with the results. Unfortunately, it looks like I have to take off after the pick up otherwise I would suggest a last minute meet Jesse -- need to check out that infiniti.

Archived