LegacyGT.com

Spun out on the highway today..

So i live in CT where the snow and ice are brutal, once i got onto the highway, an rv was blocking the lane i had to get on so i had to make 2 decisions. Brake, or accelarate. Figuring nothing but ice and light snow, and the first time of the season, i would brake.

As soon as i pressed the brakes, my car started rocking left right left and then 2 360's until i fell in a ditch and was ok. So my $300 front lip just snapped of in an instant, and i damaged my tire.

I want to point out HOW MUCH I HATE my 18' Spec b Rims Bridgstone tires. They SUCK in the snow. I felt like i was on an ice ring and just slippin and sliddin. Anyone have any suggestions or what tires are good like all season, also if anyones has any ebooks on any type of awd driving techniques, please let me know! Very willing to learn lol thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's too old and reposted by now to be funny anymore... :(

But so true. OP is a total dumbass to drive on summer tires in such conditions and should be glad he got away with so little damage. Should hate his stupidity, not the tires.

Anyone have any suggestions or what tires are good like all season, also if anyones has any ebooks on any type of awd driving techniques, please let me know! Very willing to learn lol thanks

Summer tires and snow do not mix. It's too bad you had to learn that the hard way. :( You'd probably have had much better luck keeping the car on the road if you had snow tires, or even all-seasons.

Here's your ebook on safe snow driving:

0) don't use summer tires

1) brake gently

2) steer gently

3) follow at a large distance so you never have to violate rule #1

4) take corners at a slower speed so you never have to violate rule #2

5) hope that the people around you understand rules 0-4.

Anyone else got anything to add?

Some good all-seasons for the winter are Continental Extreme Contact(quite reasonable). Other choices include the pricier but excellent all-seasons called Nokian WR (G2). They are the only all-season rated to be severe winter duty rated(winter tire).

Not sure this car is your first. But once you place reasonable tires on it (all-season or winter) it should brake no different than any other RWD or FWD vehicle you have owned in the past with at least all-seasons.

Even with all-seasons or winters I barely apply the brakes if it all and drive very slowly with lots of space between vehicles. No sudden moves and all will be well.

the dealer didn't bother to tell you the spec B has summer tires? I would think in states north of the mason dixon it would be required to have a long conversation with every buyer what "summer tire" means.

They should also put large caution stickers on the visors.

On a somewhat unrelated story, I witnessed a guy do something similar in a pickup truck during my holiday back in AUG. It was raining tho.. and well into 60 degrees. Why he slid off the road is unknown tom e.. its like he was going straight and suddenly.. he was in the grass of the county water system office.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I drove last night with summers on and was fine.... i was just going 35-40mph on the highway ... along with a couple other cars... so it's all good... I can't seem to find cheap 18" winters though :-

You live in VT, how far do you think "cheap" snowtires are going to get you. Buy good all seasons or real snow tires.

I drove to CT from VT yesterday afternoon/evening in the same storm. BUY GOOD TIRES.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Why? It doesn't snow much in VT.:lol::munch:

That may be true in your eye's but it's the lack of snow and ice removal by VT highway dept that is the real issue.

Thats a different topic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

AWD driving techniques won't help if you're driving 18" summer tires in treacherous winter conditions :eek: Living in CT I would get a set of 17" winter tires and rims just to slap on every November-February.

Archived