LegacyGT.com

SPT Intake Shield SILENCER????

MIKEBRAVO

Well, it finally came today 74.26 form subaruparts.com. Packageing , like the intake is very good. White box with SPT printed on it. Straight forward install. You have to remove the intake from the boot, but you only have to unplug the MAF this time. No need to disconnect the battery. The rubber shielding material is a PITA but it is exactly enough, so use it all. Do the top first per the instructions

then cut with small bolt cutters, use the rest on the bottom rail for a cleaner install.

First impressions: Ive been running the intake without the heat-shield for a few weeks now and have become some what accustom to the whoosh and wine, so it was very surprising to hear a different sound after the installing the heat shield.

I would say there is a 15% reduction in cabin noise. You still a very audible whoosh and suction in the lower rpms, but it appears to be slightly muffled. It is a welcome relief actually, I was concerned my wife would drive the car one day and freak.

Mind you I only drove the car a coulple of miles in my neighborhood, up and down the block. I'll know more tomarrow on the way to work.

Has anyone else installed the shield after running the intake for a while?

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

bump? :lol: it's Friday night on a holiday weekend...please don't keep bumping all weekend. :eek:

I'm still waiting for mine...intake and heatshield. nothing so far. :(

Interesting. I thought it was loud enough as it is. I wouldn't have thought it would be louder without the heatshield.

Hmm, maybe I should make a carbon fiber one just to see if that will deaden the noise even more and perhaps apply some heat shielding material.

bump? :lol: it's Friday night on a holiday weekend...please don't keep bumping all weekend. :eek:

I'm still waiting for mine...intake and heatshield. nothing so far. :(

For some of us this forum is our holiday weekend:( :lol: . More info though. It is definitely quieter and cooler on the heatshield side. However, I did find an install problem.

For those of us who installed the intake without the heatsheild you must adjust the bracket that attaches the intake to the fender. If you don't, the intake filter will hit the hood liner. It appears that when you add the heatsheild it lifts the filter just high enough to deform the liner, and I have the dings to proof it!!!:icon_mad:

To adjust the intake loosen the two bolts that connect the fender brackets together. The bolt holes are oblong and allow for compression (about a 1/4 in) then re-tighten the bolts. To ensure the hood didn't touch place a piece of paper on the filter and closed the hood. When you reopened the hood the paper should show no sign of deformation. Here are some pics of post install, and my new SPT oil cap:icon_bigg

1194615396_SPTheat001_320x240.jpg.5aaa7b788a8d22385938d10fb753f47e.jpg

1482179110_SPTheat002_320x240.jpg.febee6494c83d597692490966502f8b9.jpg

1403153925_SPTheat003_320x240.jpg.852d39823620d109fe19d897c906e904.jpg

Uh that's cuz you didn't follow directions. I know, what directions.

Step 11. Install filter and tighten filter clamp. Check for interference and adjust accordingly. Tighten all hardware.

Reason why your filter hit the hood is because the bushing is now mounted on top of the heat shield which adds another 3/16" to the overall height.

Its hard to tell unless you close the hood and peer in the crack with a flashlight. Well ,lesson learned hope others will learn from this. No real damage.

Update: The intake sound is definatly muffled. I do notice a change in performance too. I attribute that to a tighter seal and cooler air. In fact, there appeared to be enough of a change, that I figured I should reset the ECU again.

I have to say I really like the Intake before, but now I love it:wub: . Its no longer obnoxious at lower rpms and you hear the engine grow sooner.:icon_bigg :icon_bigg

Looks good! :)

I wonder what the IATs are like with this unit in-place?

------

Also looks like this unit is "generic" enough that it can be used with various other short-ram systems, wouldn't you say?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Exactly. :)

Not charge temperature, but this is a factor that the ECU takes into account in its calculation of various parameters that "gives us power," so to speak. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Ok, I won't be able to install the heatshield because it interfears with the JDM ABS cover.

Mike, would you mind doing a closeup pic of the powersteering where it meets the heatshield?

TIA!

^ Agreed.

But it'll be interesting to see someone's comparative logs (w/ and w/o heat-shield) or even simple "dangled-in-compartment" temperature probe observations. :)

^ Hum...this does throw a monkey-wrench into the equation - thanks, brother Leo, for the update!

I really thought I had one of these coming to me in the near future, but with this info., I think I might again need to go the "home-made" route.....

Archived