LegacyGT.com

Speeds while driving on the freeway..

axis008

I'm posting this in the SoCal forum because I'm just mostly interested in our area.

I got a lame ticket I didn't deserve last winter near Merced (middle of nowhere California) for passing a truck in an empty highway (didn't see the cop because he was behind another car on the other lane). Anyways, I don't want another ticket.

Soo.. on freeways such as the 5 and 405 (any in SoCal for that matter), what is the average speed you guys will drive without being paranoid about being pulled over?

I'm at the point where I think there's a cop around every corner and onramp/exit. I stop fully at every stop sign and everything. I don't follow speed limits strictly (go with the flow... but that excuse doesn't work in court), which is why I am asking this question.

-ben

I'm posting this in the SoCal forum because I'm just mostly interested in our area.

I got a lame ticket I didn't deserve last winter near Merced (middle of nowhere California) for passing a truck in an empty highway (didn't see the cop because he was behind another car on the other lane). Anyways, I don't want another ticket.

Soo.. on freeways such as the 5 and 405 (any in SoCal for that matter), what is the average speed you guys will drive without being paranoid about being pulled over?

I'm at the point where I think there's a cop around every corner and onramp/exit. I stop fully at every stop sign and everything. I don't follow speed limits strictly (go with the flow... but that excuse doesn't work in court), which is why I am asking this question.

I usually cruise at 80 mph in most areas around greater LA when traffic is light. Really you need to moderate your speed to the flow of traffic. That means driving 65-70 mph if traffic is heavier and no one is going much faster.

On open stretches of freeway going up to NorCal I'll set the cruise at 90 (or whatever the max for the cruise is) and I don't worry at all.

Really though, if you want some peace of mind, get a Valentine 1. It has easily saved my butt numerous times.

After helping my gf try to fight her ticket I've decided that, for the most part, do the crime, do the time. Considering I speed almost every time I drive, paying a ticket isn't a big deal.

True that. I once had to fight a ticket and got the cop to testify that the highest speed he reached when he "paced" me was 60 mph (in a 45 mph). The problem being that I started about a 1/8 mile ahead of him and he caught up to me within 1/4 mile. Hmmmmm, the fastest you went was 60 mph and you caught up to me.... think I was going 60 mph too?:confused: Regardless, judge still found me guilty. While some people seem to have good luck fighting tickets and some sites claim all kinds of tricks, if the judge wants to find you guilty you are toast.

Just space out your tickets to one every 18 months so you can take traffic school. Just do the online version and it'll only take you 20-30 minutes to finish. Waaaay easy.

• 2 months later...
as for the Valentine, i can see how it can help out on open stretches (i.e. likely what axis got nailed on), but around here on local freeways, don't they just normally pace you?

Yes, most likely on an urban freeway you will be paced. Its only once you get out into the "boonies" that you'll find cops sitting with their guns on. Now, all of this may go out the window at 2am....

LOL you don't count because you're in Idaho! I'd sh*t my pants if I were driving that fast in LA. Apparently I'm not as lucky as others.

Nebraska actually lol.

You can always tell if there is going to be cops out on the day you do it. Yesterday i actually saw a rolling roadblock :icon_mad: on the omaha metro section of of I-80 ... needless to say i was happy i was on the other side of the road.

Most nebraska drivers drive 80 in the 75 mph zones and will crank it up to upwards of 90 in light traffic.

I love my car ... basically.

I make it a rule never to drive (much) faster than traffic around me. Doing so makes you stand out and attract the wrong kind of attention. Normally, though, when traffic's moving, between 75 and 80 is a good speed. 80 seems to be the norm nowadays anyway.

Then again, when I was driving down the 5 from San Jose several years ago, I had my cruise set at about 110, and out of nowhere, a cop came up behind me, and then passed me, and went about his business. He must've been going about 120-130, but wasn't chasing anyone, and I didn't see anyone pulled over later. Made me crap a brick, that's for sure. That would've been an expensive ticket.

-Mike

Nebraska actually lol.

My bad... I don't know why I thought Idaho. The word Omaha does not look like Boise. I am blind.

Anyways.... 110 on the 5?!? Wow... Driving up to Davis I couldn't go over 80 :(. I feel like a pansy, but at least my wallet ain't hurtin'. Did you slow down after seeing that cop in your rearview?

-ben

Archived