LegacyGT.com

Spec B wheel width 18x?

rallysquirrel

That's unfortunate. That means when I get the spec B I'll be selling the rims and tires as soon as I get it and getting 2 sets of 17" rims. STi for summer and 17x7 for winter.

Why would you get rid of the Spec B 18" wheels?

because they're overly heavy and too damned thin. he could use them as winter wheels but no point paying for 18" winter tires.

How much do they weigh, btw?

And you can put 225/40/18 tires on them, which is pretty good size...

Last I heard, Spec B rims were ~22lbs... for a 7" wide 18" rim. Heavy compared to some aftermarket, probably about avg for OE wheels.

A 17" wheel with higher profile tires, like say 225/50 series, is actually better in the winter, as the tire can flex a bit more to grip snow and such, and can take impacts better from snow-buried obstacles or chunks of ice, etc...

Plus one shouldn't be pushing the tires hard enough to REALLY need low profile stiff tires during most road conditions in the winter climates that deserve dedicated snow tires.

The Spec B wheels aren't too bad looking. Pretty nice, actually... But there are good looking wheels of lesser or similar weight while being wider to accomidate a wider than 215-225 section tire.

Unless you are fitting 235 width tires, 7" is good enough. I have the SpecB wheels on my wagon with stock 215/45/18. When the time comes to replace it, I plan to change to 225/40/18. But if you are changing it primarily for the weight, then that is a different story. I like OEM stuff so if I have the money, I'd go for the Legacy STi wheels.

Plus one shouldn't be pushing the tires hard enough to REALLY need low profile stiff tires during most road conditions in the winter climates that deserve dedicated snow tires.

Oh, I would not use 18" wheels in winter, either. But for summer with 225 wide tire, I think it would be a good combo. I like the looks of the Spec B wheels and I am thinking about getting a set. Or maybe the 04 STI 17" wheels... anyone has idea how much those weigh? The problem is that the STI are in high demand by regular WRX owners...

I'm looking to go with this setup on 07' SpecB

Summer: 235/45/17 Diameter Difference: 1.14% reads fast

with 8" rota or 7.5" STi wheels (STi would be way lighter)

Winter: 215/55/17 Diameter Difference: 2.67% reads slow

on some 7.5" Rotas just in case I want to put Brembos on all 4 corners. (7" wide won't fit)

My current WRX setup:

Summer: 225/50/16 on 98' RS 7" wide rims (which I'll also be selling when I get specB)

Winter: 205/55/16 on OEM 16" WRX

a 225/40 18 will have a better contact patch and less sidewall rollover on a wider wheel. if you care about driver feedback, you want wider wheels.

I'm not understanding. I'd get at least 7.5" wide rims. That's wider than the stock 18" wheels that are 7" wide.

The difference in 235/45/17 as far as handling should WIN over the 225/40/18 because:

1) wider tire

2) smaller rim and wider(17" and forged) means less inertia, helps accelerate and brake and helps with unsprung weight.

3) cheaper and less pothole prone

i'd go 8 or 8.5 for the 235 ......... I'd probably go 245/40 17.

you're completely correct. sorry for not clarifying that I was directing that at waxiboy's comment about using spec b wheels and replacing the factory tires with 225/40 18.

Archived