LegacyGT.com

Spec B certified letter

Anyone know how I can get a letter from SOA certifiing the limited nature of my 06 spec? I'd like to get 5 year collector plates. (the first step in catless madness)

UPDATE: I called SOA, the young woman said she will try to find some kind of certificate, letter or something. She said she will email by the end of the day whether or not she found anything.

I'll keep you up to date...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why not just leave the "Limited" on the back of the car? BOOM question solved!! :)
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

How will an 06 subaru ever be eligible with these rules?

5 Year Collector Passenger

About: Motor vehicles that are model year 1975 or earlier or motor vehicles with a model year 1976 or later that were registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009 which are not to be used in a commercial manner. All taxes and fees shall be five times the annual taxes and fees normally assessed.

Available For: Passenger cars and trucks that do not exceed sixteen thousand pounds empty weight.

Misc. Info: Motor vehicles that were grandfathered in prior to September 1, 2009 may remain registered as a collector's item until registration is allowed to expire or upon sale or transfer of ownership.

Fees: One time fee of $50.00 for issuance or replacement, in addition to other taxes and fees.

Number of Plates Allowed: Unlimited.

I've got a GRP, 5MT GT wagon and I hear that there were only 77 of these cars (color, man. trans, and trim pkg) sold in the states. I think that warrants me a collectors plate for sure... Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

Actually, another member is responsible for that little tid-bit of info. and I don't recall who it was. Just thought I'd throw that out there. It may be complete and utter hogwash but until it's disproved, it makes me feel special!..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

UPDATE: She said she will email by the end of the day whether or not she found anything...

That sounds a lot like a "maybe" when maybe really means "No":mad:

How will an 06 subaru ever be eligible with these rules?

5 Year Collector Passenger

About: All taxes and fees shall be five times the annual taxes and fees normally assessed.

But I can get a smog cert on the most modded car I would drive on the street for less money than 5 times the annual taxes and fees normally assessed in the most nazi smog state in all the land. All of a sudden this is sounding dumb.

"...motor vehicles with a model year 1976 or later that were registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009..."

If I can prove its a collectors item (because it's #/500) with some backing from SOA I should qualify...

When I got a call back from NJ, the nice young woman said she had asked around, and someone told her there was nothing they could offer because " the spec.B was a standard issue model offered from 2005 to 2009."

... anyone?... anyone...?

I mentioned how only 500 were made in 2006, and mine was #273, and surely there must be something -But I kindly thanked her for looking into it for me, and told her to enjoy her upcoming weekend, knowing I wasn't gonna get any further through that avenue. (She thanked me for being a Subaru owner)

I'm not giving up yet despite all the snarky spec haters. ( I had to double check I was on LGT, not AWDP )

I just need to find another avenue, someone in SOA who knows a little more.

Ragman- About: Motor vehicles that are model year 1975 or earlier or motor vehicles with a model year 1976 or later that were registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009 which are not to be used in a commercial manner. All taxes and fees shall be five times the annual taxes and fees normally assessed.

Maybe you're right, I'm wasting my time. But until I hear from someone with some official clout, I'm gonna keep it up.

Let me try and explain it....Colorado used to have a rule that said your vehicle had to be 25 years or older to get Collector Plates. In 2009, they changed the rule because people were getting Collector plates on 80's K-cars. The new rule says the vehicle has to be older than 1975. All the people who had already registered their 1976-1984 (or whatever...I think that was the last year) as a collector car prior to Sept 1 2009 are "grandfathered" into the program, and can continue to renew the plates every 5 years until they sell the car or let the plates expire. Then, those cars must get normal plates.

That is why you'll never get collector plates on any spec b,,,period, sorry.

BAM! Now that's an explanation. That's what wasn't explained properly (shock) by the DMV guy. So, I'm might still pursue a certificate or something's, cos I'm a pretentious dick, but I'll drop my expectations on getting that plate. Cheers for the education.

I sent a letter to SOA as well trying to find out some production numbers on the 3.0R, but have heard nothing back yet. If I find someone that knows something, I will pass the information along.

Well, that hit a dead end... :lol:

I am sorry as we do not release production numbers. I can advise you that we no longer manufacturer the black exterior with black interior which is highly sought after.

We have something like the same idea here in VA......but it's Antique plates not Collector. Difference is only thing you need to qualify is that it has to be 25 years or older.

But once you have the plates there are restrictions like how many miles you can drive and crap....not interested.

to get collector plates on a newer car there are a few steps you need to take. the first thing is you need a letter from Subaru showing how many were produced of your car by year and entirely. if is is 500 or less in a year or less than 1000 in three years you can take you can take that letter to the county clerks and vehicle registration and they will give you the paperwork to fill out and submit. after god knows how long you will get a certificate from them allowing you to get collector plates if they approve. good luck. i have only heard that is is a time consuming project that will get you nowhere. that is the info that i have gotten for trying in colorado.

I sent a letter to SOA as well trying to find out some production numbers on the 3.0R, but have heard nothing back yet. If I find someone that knows something, I will pass the information along.

i did the same. They responded and said they dont have that information, just sales numbers for the entire legacy line.

(which is bs, they just dont want to release it.)

Archived