LegacyGT.com

Spec b or 09 WRX

Hello,

I am looking into buying a Subaru. Currently driving a 07 MS3. I am looking for something with awd and good performance, hence Subaru. Right now I am debating between a new 09 WRX or used Spec b (07 or 08). Just wondering how a legacy deals with cold weather (its been -25 to -35 'C in Saskatoon SK for the past two months). Also how reliable they have been for you (minor things are ok, i'm thinking major problems). And if anybody has happens to have them both what they think about each car.

Test drove a 09 WRX and hope to test drive a Spec b soon (only one dealership in the city).

thanks

a lot of people are going to say the spec b is far superior than any other car, but does tend to have a gravity field around it - accidents, scratches

just letting you know some people the insurance for the wrx is can more then the spec b, and also if you want a car to blend it - spec b, or get noticed - wrx.

the wrx does have more power stock

i had the legacy gt for 3 months and have had no problems so far except for the recall for the turbo oil supply line

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I live in northern Ontario and probably get similar weather to you. Just finishing my 3rd winter problem free.

All in all the cars are both quite similar. Engine setup is very similar. Haven't driven an 09 WRX but I have driven an 05 WRX. Both the WRX and SpecB are fun to drive and the potential to mod is endless.

Personally I find the SpecB a great combination of everything. There is room. It is subtle. It has great performance. It is practical.

The WRX has a lot of the same characteristics but is smaller and a little more bold. You will get attention in it ..... and a lot of it may be negative.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input.

just letting you know some people the insurance for the wrx is can more then the spec b
Yeah the insurance for the WRX is a little more. Actually because I live in Saskatchewan we have SGI which i have no idea how it sets it rates but a spec b is about 1200 a year

WRX is 1500 and get this

a GT-R is about 1500 too!!!!:eek:

Spec B > God
Would that make the WRX= to Jesus on speed?

SpecB, non contest, unless you really need hatch. The WRX is overpriced turd with econobox interior.

6 speed, suspension, interior amenities, exterior look, framless windows.... LGT SpecB >>> WRX. By far.

SpecB, non contest, unless you really need hatch. The WRX is overpriced turd with econobox interior.

6 speed, suspension, interior amenities, exterior look, framless windows.... LGT SpecB >>> WRX. By far.

Sucky and completely non replaceable audio head unit. Don't forget that part.

I have to disagree on the econobox interior. I think it looks pretty nice. Although I haven't sat in one they look pretty nice in the pics.

It's also got more power stock than a LGT. I will say I don't like the exterior though, but some do look nice.

Like Discowagons STI for example.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/10424777/112_0811_04z+2009_subaru_impreza_WRX+interior.jpg

http://image.motortrend.com/f/10719309/112_0810_01z+2009_subaru_impreza_WRX_sedan+front_three_quarter_view.jpg

The hatch looks better IMO.

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/media/580x348/8a/8a726470859d4793a604e91a32dcc585.jpg

Did you guys see the new STI sedan? I think it's kind of ugly, but then agian, I also thought the 08 STI was but then it really grew on me.

http://www.scoobyblog.com/uploads/2007/04/01sti.jpg

http://www.scoobyblog.com/uploads/2007/04/02sti.jpg

I have to disagree on the econobox interior. I think it looks pretty nice. Although I haven't sat in one they look pretty nice in the pics.

That's the key. Hard plastic galore. I was really surprised how much it sucked in person vs. how it looks in pics. It really sucks.

It looks great in pictures, but feels cheap in person. Especially compared to the LGT (which isn't exactly a rich interior, it's just not cheap feeling in 90% of places).

Drive both: IMO, the WRX is going to have a much more raw, powerful, agile feel than the Spec.B. It will be faster too. But it's also going to be louder and rougher.

No point is asking until you drive both, then you can ask educated questions.

Joe

That's the key. Hard plastic galore. I was really surprised how much it sucked in person vs. how it looks in pics. It really sucks.

Yep, I sat in a new STi after I bought my Spec and the interior on the STi just felt cheap with all the plastic and "plain" shapes"

To the OP, drive them both. If I were to redo my purchase, I would have looked more at the WRX/STi.

On a side note, is it STi or STI? I've heard both. It stands for Subaru Technica International yes?

i have an 09 forester with same interior as the new impreza. SAME. It is cheap, flimsy, last night i started getting a squeek. 1800 miles on the car. Just tap the dashboard just above the radio/cd player. The noise will make you think twice.

i have an 09 forester with same interior as the new impreza. SAME. It is cheap, flimsy, last night i started getting a squeek. 1800 miles on the car. Just tap the dashboard just above the radio/cd player. The noise will make you think twice.

My Legacy has gotten a little noisy the colder its gotten outside too. It's understandable since things will contract with the cold. I won't complain unless it stays that way in the summer too.

A friend of mine who has an 04 WRX had it in the shop the other day. The gave him a regular Impreza sedan as a loaner.

The only gripe he had about the car was the REALLY high trunk. He is 5'6" or so, and the rearward visibility out of the new Impreza wasn't nearly as good as his "old" car (the 04). So, I'd say it would depend on how tall you are.

I wanted a STI, but when i drove one I did not fit in it...6' 4". The LGT has more of a refined feel to it, and does fly below the cop radar. If you want raw power STI, if you want comfort and horsepower.. ie 350 whp or so with a few mods then LGT.

The Spec B interior is the nicest of the Legacy group but comparing a new 09 Rex to "our" 05 non-limited wagons, they are practically the same- its a wash.

The Spec is great though with upgraded materials, stock Nav, etc, etc.

The Spec B interior is the nicest of the Legacy group but comparing a new 09 Rex to "our" 05 non-limited wagons, they are practically the same- its a wash.

Did you sit in 08 WRX? Try the hard plastic and compare it to the soft plastics of the fash and upholstery in the door, etc in LGT. It has nothing to do with the leather. I have two LGTs, one limited and one not. And WTF does navi have to do with the interior materials quality?

You're crazy if you think it's a wash.

Yep, I sat in a new STi after I bought my Spec and the interior on the STi just felt cheap with all the plastic and "plain" shapes"

To the OP, drive them both. If I were to redo my purchase, I would have looked more at the WRX/STi.

On a side note, is it STi or STI? I've heard both. It stands for Subaru Technica International yes?

My understanding is that it used to be STi and then they changed it to STI

Archived