LegacyGT.com

Speaker Instalation questions

bberry007

Hey ya'll! I just bought a 2014 Legacy Premium and although the speakers aren't that bad, I have a pair of really nice 6.5" Polk Audio Components for the front and three way speakers for the rear doors that I am thinking about installing. I looked at some pictures on Crutchfield and saw that it is three hole mounting whereas the polk speakers are a four hole design. is there an adapter ring availible somewhere? Also, for those that have installed components in the front, did the tweeters go in ok? I want it to look completely stock.

Oh, and I have a very nice Kenwood eXcelon four channel amp that I would have installed too. Does anyone have a four channel amp installed under the passenger seat? Or is there a better spot for it? I don't have the exact dimensions in front of me, but it is very compact, especially for a 4 channel.

Also, any pictures would be awesome!

Thank you for the help! I am very excited about having this car!

Hey ya'll! I just bought a 2014 Legacy Premium and although the speakers aren't that bad, I have a pair of really nice 6.5" Polk Audio Components for the front and three way speakers for the rear doors that I am thinking about installing. I looked at some pictures on Crutchfield and saw that it is three hole mounting whereas the polk speakers are a four hole design. is there an adapter ring availible somewhere? Also, for those that have installed components in the front, did the tweeters go in ok? I want it to look completely stock.

Oh, and I have a very nice Kenwood eXcelon four channel amp that I would have installed too. Does anyone have a four channel amp installed under the passenger seat? Or is there a better spot for it? I don't have the exact dimensions in front of me, but it is very compact, especially for a 4 channel.

Also, any pictures would be awesome!

Thank you for the help! I am very excited about having this car!

I am in the process of doing this myself this weekend on a 2011 Legacy. The adapters according to crutchfield are Scosche SAC-656 Multipurpose Speaker Mounting Brackets

From everything i have seen and read you will need to drill new holes to mount speakers regardless. I read a thread awhile ago where someone took factory speaker and made that into a bracket I'm sure you can find that online if you google it.

As far as tweeter I'm on the fence on dash mount in factory location or use window sail. Guess i will burn that bridge later today lol.

As far as amp i personally don't like mounting an amp under a seat. Anytime someone is in back seat you run the risk of them spilling something that could damage amp or kicking it and damaging a connection. When in doubt bolt it to the rear seat.

PSX_20161009_085709.thumb.jpg.d8cb8d55c4cc9f6a822ab64029c6650c.jpg

Thank you for your reply!

I found these: http://www.carstereoadapters.com/subaru-speaker-spacers/directions/

I like to support enthusiasts who do custom work. I will try them, take photos and let you all know how they work.

Next question...Due to my budget, I will do the speaker installs and amp install at different times. Which should I do first? I was thinking the amp. Or does it really matter?

I found these: http://www.carstereoadapters.com/subaru-speaker-spacers/directions/

I like to support enthusiasts who do custom work. I will try them, take photos and let you all know how they work.

Next question...Due to my budget, I will do the speaker installs and amp install at different times. Which should I do first? I was thinking the amp. Or does it really matter?

Well i tried the spacers i mention and ended up not using them. Instead used the factory speakers like i mentioned.

PSX_20161009_175952.thumb.jpg.f6976e76a5419ddca7eaebd89aceddc7.jpg

PSX_20161009_181515.thumb.jpg.6f0a949dbcdcfa23b15dc7f6b906d27b.jpg

As far as speakers first or amp. If your running new speaker wires do amp first. Otherwise i don't know any real difference off hand,

• 5 months later...
I am in the process of doing this myself this weekend on a 2011 Legacy. The adapters according to crutchfield are Scosche SAC-656 Multipurpose Speaker Mounting Brackets

From everything i have seen and read you will need to drill new holes to mount speakers regardless. I read a thread awhile ago where someone took factory speaker and made that into a bracket I'm sure you can find that online if you google it.

Well i tried the spacers i mention and ended up not using them. Instead used the factory speakers like i mentioned.

[ATTACH]238981[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]238980[/ATTACH]

Those Scosche that crutchfield sells (gives away) are useless and require drilling. That is why they don't work properly, plus they are flimsy pieces of junk.

The carstereoadapters.com / subaruaudio.net ones are the correct fit.

Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to get the correct info out there. I was searching for a different thread and saw this and wanted to chime in.

Those Scosche that crutchfield sells (gives away) are useless and require drilling. That is why they don't work properly, plus they are flimsy pieces of junk.

The carstereoadapters.com / subaruaudio.net ones are the correct fit.

Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to get the correct info out there. I was searching for a different thread and saw this and wanted to chime in.

Like i posted i ended up just cutting up factory speakers and using those as my brackets. They definitely fit like OEM since they are the OEM speakers lol. And best part is they didn't cost me anything, besides buying the car that went with them.

subaru.bracket.jpg.522c8477c53b34fcdacd6c3f34cbbbe4.jpg

subaru_door.speaker.jpg.c421b338a897569141f03e1e655c7744.jpg

Like i posted i ended up just cutting up factory speakers and using those as my brackets. They definitely fit like OEM since they are the OEM speakers lol. And best part is they didn't cost me anything, besides buying the car that went with them.

Those Quarts are a relatively small 6.5" speaker (not all 6.5" or 6.75" speakers are the same diameter, despite what what might be logical) so while those and some other models do fit in gutted stock speakers, not every speaker model will work. Plus you now have no way to go back to stock unless you buy another set of speakers. For someone installing a $400 set of JL or Focal speakers, leaving them in the car isn't the most prudent course of action, plus those premium brands (for instance) don't fit in gutted stock housings.

I am just getting the info out there so that someone does not get their doors torn apart and realize that they need to take a different approach. I average at least an email a week with that exact situation.

Those Quarts are a relatively small 6.5" speaker (not all 6.5" or 6.75" speakers are the same diameter, despite what what might be logical) so while those and some other models do fit in gutted stock speakers, not every speaker model will work. Plus you now have no way to go back to stock unless you buy another set of speakers. For someone installing a $400 set of JL or Focal speakers, leaving them in the car isn't the most prudent course of action, plus those premium brands (for instance) don't fit in gutted stock housings.

I am just getting the info out there so that someone does not get their doors torn apart and realize that they need to take a different approach. I average at least an email a week with that exact situation.

Well anytime you cut something up you have to be willing to go all in. Anyone willing to pay $400 for a pair of door speakers and trying to cut corners on other things is asking for poor performance. In those cases do the research and ask questions before hacking stuff up. I'm was just trying to offer a solution to someone on a budget. Someone spending $400 per pair is not on a budget.

Otherwise quit posting stuff just to sell more of your things.

Well anytime you cut something up you have to be willing to go all in. Anyone willing to pay $400 for a pair of door speakers and trying to cut corners on other things is asking for poor performance. In those cases do the research and ask questions before hacking stuff up. I'm was just trying to offer a solution to someone on a budget. Someone spending $400 per pair is not on a budget.

You'd be surprised at how many people don't do the research first.

As I have said multiple times, my only intent is to put the info out there. People may not think about their options until it is too late. Do you know the specs on what speakers fit in hacked up stock speakers and which ones don't? I do- because I did the research. Your experience is representative of your single experience. Mine is based on 20+ years of cumulative experiences.

You'd be surprised at how many people don't do the research first.

As I have said multiple times, my only intent is to put the info out there. People may not think about their options until it is too late. Do you know the specs on what speakers fit in hacked up stock speakers and which ones don't? I do- because I did the research. Your experience is representative of your single experience. Mine is based on 20+ years of cumulative experiences.

First thing i tell everyone i know that is thinking of hacking up any part of their car. Measure twice before you cut!!

Well in my case i have been installing car audio for over 20 years too and have made my share of mistakes and have learned allot over the years. First i am not an expert and don't claim to be. I knew going into my install they would not fit and had to grind a great portion of factory speakers to make mine fit. I installed MB Quart XK1-116 6.5" speakers in the rear doors and MB Quart XC1-216 6.5" component speakers in the front doors.

I initially was going to buy adaptors like yours. Matter fact may have been off your website can't remember off hand. But in my case i knew i could make them work and if need be hack them up and fiberglass them.

Personally to me i enjoy installing audio so that is why wife's car, yes the Subaru is hers, has all aftermarket audio even though she rarely listens to music at a volume above a talking level. And why my 16 year old son's first vehicle has three 12" kickers, four 4" kickers, and two 6.5 Cadence XM68HCI that we fiberglassed into the doors, 2 amps, one for doors and 1 for subs. His truck hit139.9 SPL last summer and that was with stock 80 amp alternator, this year hope to break 140 with new 200 amp alternator. I admit i did get carried away with his especially since he didn't even have his license yet.

I drive a crossover, 2013 Dodge Journey. Currently i deleted 3rd row and installed a stealth box where 3rd row was with 2 MB Quart shallow mount 12", 4 alpine 6x9 and 2 kicker 3.5". I'm running on 2 amps, one for doors and one for the subs that are hidden in a compartment. She looks stock but don't sound it!!

I'm thinking of , odds are i will lol, is walling off my vehicle and doing four 15" instead.

So if someone is a novice or just not good at fabrication buying brackets like yours is a good option and will simply the job allot! But if your a do it yourself kind of personal there is always options.

P.S. Reason i didn't use brackets that crutchfield said is because the opening wasn't large enough. If i am going through that much effort to make them work i figured might as well build something right. Plus i enjoy it, gives me a way to spend time with my son.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived