LegacyGT.com

Sorry! New to Turbo.... Cleaning question!

Decay

Okay its been 7 days and 700 km (435 miles). I am well on the way to breaking in the car. The car is now kinda dirty and I need to wash it. Stupid question of the day: How do I clean around the hood of the car without spraying water into the hood scoop? I have never owned a car witha hood scoop before and don't ant to do something seriously stupid onthe first wash of my car. Lastly, has anyone heard of a car wash brand called "Clean Through"? I think taht is the name someone game me of a good car wash detergent. thanks DK

[quote name='Decay']Lastly, has anyone heard of a car wash brand called "Clean Through"? I think taht is the name someone game me of a good car wash detergent. thanks DK[/quote] I use the Meguiers Gold Class car wash. It's highly concentrated so it takes very little and suds up great. I used to use Westley's Car wash but I couldn't find it anymore.

[quote]Just remeber when ur in the rain, itz not like u can block the hood scoop. [/quote] i read in the manual not to allow water to get into the scoop when washing the car....i was sitting there for quite some time thinking about how contradictory that statement was. you couldn't of said it better....when it's raining your scoop gets flooded and when u wash the car it gets sprinkled...so dont even worry bout water getting in there.

[quote name='KayGT'][quote]Just remeber when ur in the rain, itz not like u can block the hood scoop. [/quote] i read in the manual not to allow water to get into the scoop when washing the car....[/quote] i think they are trying to get u to not spray water in there. if it gets wet it gets wet. but jsut dont put the garden hose down the scoop. and even if u did. i dont think it would hurt any thing. to strong of a spray could possibly bend the fins making the intercooler more of a .... well not an intercooler

[quote name='meier motor sports']i think they are trying to get u to not spray water in there. if it gets wet it gets wet. but jsut dont put the garden hose down the scoop. and even if u did. i dont think it would hurt any thing. to strong of a spray could possibly bend the fins making the intercooler more of a .... well not an intercooler[/quote] On a similar matter, I had to remove some leaves sitting on the intercooler and ended up bending slightly some of the fins. So be carefull. Next time I'll use a vacuum cleaner.

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']Wash it after you've taken a good long drive. You'll hear the engine sizzle like your frying eggs...:)[/quote] This is fun, but it's better for the finish to wash a cool car (or coolish, at best). Also, if you wash it just after a drive, be careful of the brake rotors, as they will still be pretty hot. Warping has been known to occur if the rotor is hot enough and the water cold enough. Seems crazy I know... Kevin

[quote name='il collaudatore']Oh, I never thought of that... So taking your car to the carwash isn't going to do harm it, right?[/quote] As long as you don't treat the drive to the car wash like a tarmac rally special stage, you'll be fine. That aluminum hood and the front 1/4 panels stay quite hot for a long time after a spirited drive. Thermal shock is the big thing that the paint doesn't like. My usual post-drive washing rule is when you can touch the brake rotor without saying "Yeow," washing is alright. :lol: Touch your rotors sometime after a drive. Those things get HOT. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='il collaudatore']Oh, I never thought of that... So taking your car to the carwash isn't going to do harm it, right?[/quote] As long as you don't treat the drive to the car wash like a tarmac rally special stage, you'll be fine. That aluminum hood and the front 1/4 panels stay quite hot for a long time after a spirited drive. Thermal shock is the big thing that the paint doesn't like. My usual post-drive washing rule is when you can touch the brake rotor without saying "Yeow," washing is alright. :lol: Touch your rotors sometime after a drive. Those things get HOT. Kevin[/quote] Well, not quite so immediately after you drive...hehe, otherwise, you will definately burn your fingers. Later, i.

[quote name='inthedeck'][quote name='gtguy'][quote name='il collaudatore']Oh, I never thought of that... So taking your car to the carwash isn't going to do harm it, right?[/quote] As long as you don't treat the drive to the car wash like a tarmac rally special stage, you'll be fine. That aluminum hood and the front 1/4 panels stay quite hot for a long time after a spirited drive. Thermal shock is the big thing that the paint doesn't like. My usual post-drive washing rule is when you can touch the brake rotor without saying "Yeow," washing is alright. :lol: Touch your rotors sometime after a drive. Those things get HOT. Kevin[/quote] Well, not quite so immediately after you drive...hehe, otherwise, you will definately burn your fingers. Later, i.[/quote] try working as a mechanic. customer drives in. wants there brakes checked. and they need brakes and want them. HOT BRAKE JOB! :o

[quote name='gtguy']This is fun, but it's better for the finish to wash a cool car (or coolish, at best). Also, if you wash it just after a drive, be careful of the brake rotors, as they will still be pretty hot. Warping has been known to occur if the rotor is hot enough and the water cold enough. Seems crazy I know... Kevin[/quote] I was reading [url=http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-wheels.html]this site[/url] last night and saw this: [i][b]Warning[/b]: Do not clean your wheels if they are still hot from driving. Let them cool, or thoroughly hose them down. If your brakes are hot, spraying them with cold water may cause severe damage.[/i] So what if I use [b]warm[/b] water? Also, the sales guy said I could wash the whole engine compartment with water, as long as the water pressure isn't high... what do you guys think?

This Space For Rent

Brakes get very hot from usage so the difference between cold and warm water may not be sufficient to reduce the thermal stress of a sudden cool-off. I would wait a little (shouldn't take too long since the GTs brakes are vented) and then clean them. Also, I think the first statement refers to using a wheel cleaner. Many of them are highly acidic or alkaline and high temperatures amplify their corosive properties. As a general rule of thumb, you don't want to wash a car that's warm. You'll develop water spots as well as shorten the life of any wax you're using. Washing the engine comparment is fine as long as the engine is cool and you don't use high pressure. Cover the alternator with a plastic bag to be safe, spray the engine bay with a general purpose cleaner like simple green, wait a few minutes and then rinse off with a gentle stream from your garden hose. Dry the engine by running it. Ken

I would hope by now he has figured out that it doesn't matter. Does anyone else find it hard to wash to inside of the front rims? Damn big brakes. I know, some people are never happy. I normally take the car for a short drive to "blow dry it" after washing, then come back a wipe the inside of the wheels again. Damn vented rotors. I normally hose the engine off a few times a year. It's no big deal, I've even washed it at the self car washes with there pressure. When I do that I leave the engine running. Been doing that for years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Brakes, hmm sounds common sense, bit like putting cold water in a hot glass and vice versa. Not sure about the water on the motor, make sure the motor is running if you do. I would use a sponge to clean and quickly rinse if you were going to wash under there but try NOT to get anything electrical wet and with the motors these days, that could be impossible. When I get my car serviced, I always ask the dealer to complete an engine bay clean too. Usually done free of charge. Adam.

why the big deal over water on the engine and brakes?? Any car needs to be durable enough to handle a sudden downpour, a puddle, etc. And considering the adverse conditions that Subarus thrive in, why would anyone think that normal use won't expose the motor or brakes to the occasional "hosing" of water or snow?? I know there are splash shields in certain areas, but I am sure the motor still gets hosed down pretty good from weather.

[quote name='TurboAddikt']why the big deal over water on the engine and brakes?? Any car needs to be durable enough to handle a sudden downpour, a puddle, etc. And considering the adverse conditions that Subarus thrive in, why would anyone think that normal use won't expose the motor or brakes to the occasional "hosing" of water or snow?? I know there are splash shields in certain areas, but I am sure the motor still gets hosed down pretty good from weather.[/quote] Have fun spraying your hot motor/brakes down with cold water.

Archived