LegacyGT.com

socal bd 98 trying to go full ver 9 sti swap

hey everyone i just purchased an 98 leg gt....and this thread is for me to get some usefull info and tips from the rest of u out there that have done or are going to be doing the same thing.

i had an 07 sti obsidian black pearl may she rest in piece well sad to say i was it on the freeway by a car hauler big rig and totaled her but frame damage was the culprit motor and drivetrain in perfect condition(i am the original owner of this sti picked her up fresh off the lot) and brembos well what my questions are is that my sti brembos need to be on the legacy and im wondering if its the same swap like the wrx with just the rear adapter or do i have to do something else and also my dccd when i transfer over my r180 is it hard to wire up the dccd to the center consoul like it was in my sti......o and ya before i forget im going to send the sti block to get get bored out to a 2.7 instead of a 2.5 but can i use the sti heads with the larger bored motor please somone help and if ur in southern california im in the process of dismanteling the sti so yea im new to this side but not to subaru

your gonna bore to get 200 more cc's. have fun with your paper thin walls.

the whats the differance when u send it out to cosworth and they do the 2.7 is it a different block or what on that i will take any input becuz i want to have a set in stone idea before i get into the build up

the cosworth engine is not 2.7l it is actually only 2.519, which they get by using an 81mm stroke with the stock 99.5mm bore. Stock is 2.457 and a 79mm stroke.

going to the 83mm BC crank gets you up to 2.581. With sleeves bored to 102mm and the BC crank you can get up to 2.712. The factory limit on stock sleeves is 100mm which gets you a negligible gain in displacement (0.08l)

the cosworth engine is not 2.7l it is actually only 2.519, which they get by using an 81mm stroke with the stock 99.5mm bore. Stock is 2.457 and a 79mm stroke.

going to the 83mm BC crank gets you up to 2.581. With sleeves bored to 102mm and the BC crank you can get up to 2.712. The factory limit on stock sleeves is 100mm which gets you a negligible gain in displacement (0.08l)

so with the different sleeves and differnt crank i get get the desired bore and dissplacement now is it worth it on power gains with the stock sti heads or i could also go with different heads. im looking for most reiliable/ most power for the ver 9 sti block and my brembos do i just use the rear adapter like the wrxs do or what

depends how much you want to spend, how much power you want, what you consider reliable.

for your brembos, if you are swapping the drivetrain, the suspension and uprights and brakes should go with it. you can't use an STI R180 and axles with the legacy uprights and hubs.

depends how much you want to spend, how much power you want, what you consider reliable.

for your brembos, if you are swapping the drivetrain, the suspension and uprights and brakes should go with it. you can't use an STI R180 and axles with the legacy uprights and hubs.

your right when i transfere over the the full sti drivetrain but for right now im just going to be putting the struts brakes and interior over till i have the motor done to do the full swap so for right now i am putting the brakes onto the legacys 5x100 so is it the same as doing it to the wrx with some kartboy adapters.

but im interested in hearing any ideas for motor build up to while i have it out im going to build the motor up i want this to be my RELIABLE track car i have many tracks within the area for different events and my sti was stock for the most part besides a aps coldair so its time to build while out of car i was thinking a rotated set up but what i want is good power so i understand cheap is outa the question so whats everyone thinking

im going prepped ej251 with sti internals looking to make 350 at the crank with a garret t3/t4 hybrid .70ar

and in my honest opinion, your shouldn't be looking at stroker cranks and boring, this is not a big block v8, its flat 4 turbo. and last time i checked high cr and boost goes boom.

so your saying you have entire sti car to swap over, sweet, but if you think its a walk in the park its not, for now i would recommend just getting the parts swapped over and forgot internals. you still need to merge the wiring harness if you dont pay someone 500 bucks to do it.

and for 500 bucks you could pick up a fully loaded megasquirt standalone ecu. but the sti ecu is already tunable.

Later on when you want more power a simple piston up grade can get you past that 400 hp mark. go with rods too and you could pump 600 with the right gas and tune.

im going prepped ej251 with sti internals looking to make 350 at the crank with a garret t3/t4 hybrid .70ar

and in my honest opinion, your shouldn't be looking at stroker cranks and boring, this is not a big block v8, its flat 4 turbo. and last time i checked high cr and boost goes boom.

so your saying you have entire sti car to swap over, sweet, but if you think its a walk in the park its not, for now i would recommend just getting the parts swapped over and forgot internals. you still need to merge the wiring harness if you dont pay someone 500 bucks to do it.

and for 500 bucks you could pick up a fully loaded megasquirt standalone ecu. but the sti ecu is already tunable.

Later on when you want more power a simple piston up grade can get you past that 400 hp mark. go with rods too and you could pump 600 with the right gas and tune.

Ok I kinda figured it wasn't going to be a easy task I wasn't looking at it like that but I do want somewhere around the 500 marker to the wheel hp and yea I understand on the fact its flat four but I made this thread to find out more so pistons and rods where going to be replaced while I have the motor out I don't want to drop a stock sti motor in while I have the time and money to build (I was hit by a big rig) so I want the power and sus to go with it to so basicaly have u gone on nasioc lately and seen that car of the month that black sti well picture all that onto a leg and 2nd gen at that I don't want sponcers I think I just want to go have a weekend warrior as to say so any ideas on how to make thatat power and have it to where if I wanted to drive it as a daily I could but I'm not going to but I want that reliability

O and before I forget I was thinking sti ecu with a piggy back or tune I have to get the ecu rebooted tho due to the accedent

piggy back and 600 to the wheels dont mix. period.

have you ever been in a 600 awhp car? it not an easy task nor would i call it a weekend warrior, full blown track cars dont commonly have that much power, its to much, 600 to the wheels is more a car for the strip, to get 600 to the wheels your looking at over 700 bhp. plus supporting mods, much larger turbo, bigger then mine which only can do 550 at the crank. very spendy fuel system, and the drive train and suspension to go with it. sure that stock sti stuff can handle 600 whp but keep in mind thats double what they were built for.

not sure on prices on stuff but i bet your looking at 6 grand

Why not sell the legacy and get an 07 base impreza? Wouldnt that be easier? the frame would be stiffer too, and the car would be newer in general.....if not good luck, sounds like it is going to be one big project

I think an STI motor with stage 2 supporting mods tuned through an cobb accessport would suit your needs. there you are looking around 250awhp. competitive on the track when you go, and not that bad on gas as a daily.

If you wan the wiring done quickly, and professionally look up iwire, he is the man for the job.

I been in awhp 500+ STI's.

Downside: They are not street legal at all.

Upside: Fun as hell on a freeway

Downside: your looking at 20+grand for a properly built track car. People i know have sponsors.

Upside It's Fun as hell!!

Downside: Tracking it that much there are alot of forseen problems

Upside: once problems are fixed its Fun as hell!!

i understand what u all r saying about a 600 awhp feels like been in multiple of them and both evos and sti's and yes ur right an 07 impreza would be fine but i wanted a project thats running right now and so i had time to set everything up exactly the way i want its not going to be cheap and i know that and i kinda wanted something that u dont see every day like a wrx swaped sti or the 02+ wagons swap i wanted something that i knew was going to be a lil more sleeper and i feal that i accomplished what i wanted with tha with the 2nd gen legacy and im going to be putting a full cage in it so i dont expect to drive on street very much its a track car/autox grip night things like that i want to have different tunes set up for so i was looking some rods and pistons but also i dont mind spending the money for reliability so billet crank might be 1500 but worth it when i dont have to fix something every time i take it out just dialing in the tune i have a shop for the wire harness iwire so i have that already figured out but the motor set up im still working on so what does everybody think i dont want stage 2 tune been in those not what im looking for not the power im looking for i want to have it set for a mild tune for some tracks and others i want it to have more power for the long sweepers and straights as in a couple tracks within a hour of me. so i need the power for some and others i will just change my set up lower boost and different fuel will do for pump gas and for when i need to have the power just switch to my fuel cel.......witch im still thinking i might want to go with e-85 but c im just not quite sure what i want to do with the motor but i want a good set-up....

Archived