LegacyGT.com

So which car would be better? 2.5GT modded or 3.0R stock?

Saki

(Mods, I hope I posted this in the right place)

So, theoretically speaking, if you had the choice between a 2008 2.5GT and the 3.0R and were more of a driving enthusiast, would it make more sense to get the far less expensive 2.5GT and add an aftermarket suspension and maybe a Cobb chip rather than spend almost 10k more on the 3.0R model? I don't follow Subaru too closely but I'm thinking of getting a Legacy soon, and would like some opinions on best buy options... Thanks,

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much you think a turbo would cost for a 3.0?

Also, if you're a driving enthusiast, chances are the closest you're getting to an automatic is a DSG, so I don't think the 3.0, only coming in Auto, would be the best choice. If it were available in manual and I knew the options out there for turboing it, I think it would be a tempting idea to get the 3.0.

Tubro kit for the H6 isn't too realistic as it's quite the investment.

Stick with the 2.5GT turbo model and bump it up to stage 2 with Cobb programming and some exhaust swaps. Big power for a lot cheaper than a custom turbo H6.

The 3.0 N/A motor is good for if you like linear, typical 6 cylinder power and more torque, earlier.

My in-laws have a 3.0 Outback and it's a nice engine, very smooth and not peaky, but I am an driving enthusiast as well and wouldn't trade my current turbo 4 for the 3.0.

I would buy a 3.0 for my wife in a second though... as I wouldn't need another turbo car. She's a V6 type-of-driver too. She just wants to step on the gas and get going.

I assume you're talking about the legacy GT or outback 3.0R? You'll def have more aftermarket support for the LGT and it will definately be cheaper/easier to get more ponies out of the 2.5. Just the Cobb AP gives it ~30 hp with no other mods. Try that with an N/A engine.

I assume you're talking about the legacy GT or outback 3.0R? You'll def have more aftermarket support for the LGT and it will definately be cheaper/easier to get more ponies out of the 2.5. Just the Cobb AP gives it ~30 hp with no other mods. Try that with an N/A engine.

I'm pretty sure he's talkin' '08 Legacy sedans in GT or 3.0R trim, not Outback.

Depends on the kind of power you want. 3.0 H6 is very smooth and strong, and should move a Legacy sedan a little quicker than an Outback wagon, as the OB has at least 100 pounds more weight. 2.5 GT will offer more exciting performance and mod options. Pick your pleasure.

Try driving an '07 Outback XT and Outback LL Bean back-to-back. That's currently your only way to compare first-hand the different engines in the same vehicle.

The car will have to be an auto for the wife, but I have to drive it and I like fast cars.

I know a 2.5 GT can easily be modded for great power, so I'm kind of shocked at the sticker for a 3.0R with no turbo plumbing to work with like the 2.5.

It has me wondering why would anyone want a 3.0R over a 2.5GT...

The 3.0 N/A motor is good for if you like linear, typical 6 cylinder power and more torque, earlier.

I don't know if the 3.0 delivers more torque earlier but it has way less torque overall so the 2.5 still seems like the better choice.

huh? the 3.0R is much slower than even a stock 2.5gt

Much slower 0-60.

Little slower over the road. As one albeit poor but documented example, the LGT is 5.2 seconds in the CR 45-65 test. The 3.0R is 5.0. That's about one car length. A guy at work has an LGT with 5EAT at work and we've driven them back to back. They feel more alike then different.

A Honda Accord V6 was 4.4s in the same test. 0-60 has almost no relevance in how fast you get down a road.

When I bought LGT was too low; Outback was too high; standard Legacy didn't have turbo or H6; LGT or H6 wagons didn't have manual option. Welcome to America. XT has about 15% more whp stock and is much more easily boosted. H6 has better resale and uses less, less costly fuel. Last time I checked LGT Ltd Wagon and LLB H6 were pretty close in price. Don't know about the new H6 Legacy model.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Just had the director of my dpt in my car the other day. I went to pass someone in 2nd gear and he jokingly said "wow, a lot of power for a 4 banger." I said, "It is a 4 banger." His jaw dropped to the floor. They don't see too many Subarus in south Florida...

Doesn't the 2.5i non-turbo flat four make more peak horsepower than that ford 2.5 V6? like 12 more with two fewer cylinders?

The subaru turbo flat 4 (in Legacy GT tune) makes about as much horsepower as the 944 Turbo S 2.5 inline 4, incidently. The only really big 4 cylinder in a sporty car is the 944S2 and 968's larger 2.8 and 3.0 I4's... Most engines of that capacity are 6 cylinders, otherwise.

My 93 Probe GT 2.5 liter Mazda V6 made about as much horsepower as the newer Ford V6, and although not horrible due to the car's lighter weight, one would think that the mark has been moved since then, but I guess not, in Ford's case.

In a choice between Legacy GT and Legacy 3.0R, GT wins hands down if you want sporty. More torque, more horsepower potential with just a re-flash, let alone real mods, and manual transmission option. Unfortunately, the 3.0R gets the bilstein suspension, which the GT has to step up to the Spec B for. But struts can be added.

The 3.0R is much more the near-lux touring car, rather than a performance-oriented sport sedan, as much as they can be different, being the same chassis, and mostly the same options.

Archived