LegacyGT.com

Smoked Tail Lights

wagonmaster87

Does anyone know where I can get smoked tail light lenses? Not that stupid vinyl tint overlay sticker stuff, like actually new tail light lenses that come smoked or something that would possible just snap onto the factory ones. I tried some vinyl ones and they looked like crap. I noticed some VW that come with smoked lenses from the factory and I really like that look hopefully some of you guys can help thanks.

:whore:

They aren't up on the site!

Been crazy busy - not yet on site, but here's some photos. $375 shipped (anything "purchase related" - pls PM and keep this thread clean).

Thanks!

J.

HKC-speed.com

http://www.hkc-speed.com/images/uploads/bl5_hanabi_bp5/34165827/1.jpg

http://www.hkc-speed.com/images/uploads/bl5_hanabi_bp5/34165827/3.jpg

If you're that concerned about output, wagonmaster, just get the "clear stacked ovals":

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10964&highlight=clear+stacked+ovals

The oval cutouts over the lighting elements (brake, marker, and turn signal) will allow much of the light to shine-through without attenuation at all, and the complete cut-out where the reverse-lamp is will allow that element to shine through without *any* attenuation whatsoever.

Look at that thread - I know it's long, but there are some good photos of the varying tints, from OCDetails. If you're

Also, some pix from various members here, including my own (see page 2, post #22), which shows night-time comparison pix:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82612&highlight=clear+stacked+ovals

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ :( That sucks. :(

I looked at the ClearGuard site, too. I didn't see any such kits - and I'm 90% sure that I did see it, just a few months before. :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Regarding the tailights,

I dont have a picture of my car on this computer, but you can see them in my avatar. I just went over my stock tailights with this stuff called VHT Nightshades. It's basically sprayable tiny. It's like 8 bucks on ebay, at least when I got it. Go over them after that with some spray on clear coat, and you're done. I like them a lot. You basically have to black them out the whole way, so it depends on if youre a fan of that. Personally, I like them totally blacked out the way they are.

Regarding the tailights,

I dont have a picture of my car on this computer, but you can see them in my avatar. I just went over my stock tailights with this stuff called VHT Nightshades. It's basically sprayable tiny. It's like 8 bucks on ebay, at least when I got it. Go over them after that with some spray on clear coat, and you're done. I like them a lot. You basically have to black them out the whole way, so it depends on if youre a fan of that. Personally, I like them totally blacked out the way they are.

Frostbite, you just sprayed over the outside of your taillights?

How does it hold up against water/soap water/snow/ice, etc?

How long have you had them on, do they show any signs of fading/wear?

Could you please take some closeup pictures?

I've been looking at tinting taillights too and I was looking at lamin-x... any opinions on that?

NightShades will typically last for at least 2 or more years, as long as you've properly applied it, and they're very durable.

Obviously, you don't want to take the edge of a snow-scraper against it, but a typical snow-brush, as well as typical washings (either by-hand or even by those bristled washes) won't faze it at all.

I used to use it on my DSMs. :)

Frostbite, you just sprayed over the outside of your taillights?

How does it hold up against water/soap water/snow/ice, etc?

How long have you had them on, do they show any signs of fading/wear?

Could you please take some closeup pictures?

I've been looking at tinting taillights too and I was looking at lamin-x... any opinions on that?

The spray on ones can not be removed i believe but im not sure I never had any experiance with them, and the lamin-x ones can be removed without damage to the lights.

Yes, the VHT is "permanent," and will require solvent and/or wet-sanding to restore the surface for removal.

^ All of the various types of films - ClearGuard, RockGuard, Lamin-X - stays on exceptionally well.

I haven't had any trouble with my ClearGuard (Jinsu's) Clear Stacked Ovals, which I've had on my OEM USDM tail-lights since they were first available, which I just changed-out to JDMs this late summer. That's well over 3 years of active service on a daily-driver that sees Cleveland's winters. :)

Archived