LegacyGT.com

Smashed into Curb

So I smashed the passenger rear rim into a curb while whipping a donut at around 15-20mph - yes, I'm completely stupid.

Drove it today and the entire car is moving about - rather difficult to control the car. Will take pictures tomorrow but similar threads are on NASOIC:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181225

My tire definitely has some major camber going on. I did a quick check under - can't see visible sheared/broken sway, links, etc but i think things are bent. The NASOIC post indicates - right rear knuckle / hub / bearing / seals / lateral arm possibly subframe damage.

Anyone have suggestions on where I should take it in? I've read Sixstar but its a bit far from Chicago and is closed Sat/Sun. Would the dealer seriously rape me on this?

Thanks. You think i should stay away from the dealer on this one? I of course am overly paranoid and want it back to tip top shape which is how everyone operates but also how the dealer ends up f***'ing people over.

happened to me on ice being slightly stoopid myself. Brought it to the dealership...ended up costing me about $3K in parts/labor. New control arms, new wheel bearings, new spindles, 2 new wheels....not a fun experience. dealers work was done well though, the guys over at metric subaru are pretty reliable.

What was their turn-around time? With the Holidays and traveling - im hoping to get it done before Xmas.

happened to me on ice being slightly stoopid myself. Brought it to the dealership...ended up costing me about $3K in parts/labor. New control arms, new wheel bearings, new spindles, 2 new wheels....not a fun experience. dealers work was done well though, the guys over at metric subaru are pretty reliable.

Thanks. You think i should stay away from the dealer on this one? I of course am overly paranoid and want it back to tip top shape which is how everyone operates but also how the dealer ends up f***'ing people over.

unless it warranty work or a recall, i wouldn't ever take my car to a dealer for service. there will be plenty of local shops who'd be happy to work on your car. and being chicago, you might find a shop that specializes in subaru, if not no biggie, but google is your friend.

i can put anything i want down here?!

If your young and plan to stay in that area for a long time, now is a good time to meet important people.

I would start with body shops that do a lot of restoration work, which is what my buddies shop does, he has a wealth of knowledge about where to get things done. Also ask around and see who is a good repair shop.

With those contacts you can get just about anything you done on or to your car.

My repair shop, body shop and auto machine shop all know each other they take good care of me and my family. Been going to these guy's for almost 30 years now.

BTW, my tranny guy work for the machine shop. It's all about who you know.

I even know a great wheel repair shop a couple miles from work.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If your young and plan to stay in that area for a long time, now is a good time to meet important people.

I would start with body shops that do a lot of restoration work, which is what my buddies shop does, he has a wealth of knowledge about where to get things done. Also ask around and see who is a good repair shop.

With those contacts you can get just about anything you done on or to your car.

My repair shop, body shop and auto machine shop all know each other they take good care of me and my family. Been going to these guy's for almost 30 years now.

BTW, my tranny guy work for the machine shop. It's all about who you know.

I even know a great wheel repair shop a couple miles from work.

I couldn't agree more. Words of wisdom right here.

Go to a junkyard, pull the parts yourself and do it yourself. I bought my car wrecked, replaced just the lower control arm (aka lateral link) , maybe something else, but parts were around $300, plus an alignment, $375. Not bad, that is if everything else is fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Went to a shop near me - guys said my upper control arm was bent and they bent it back into place instead of replacing it. Should i have the part replaced? I'm interesting in taking it to a more legit shop - before i can take it to sixsport i want to check out my options and if i need it replaced. any feedback is great, thanks guys.

Archived