LegacyGT.com

Smaller wheel gap on rear drivers side... completely stock suspension...

al-gorithm

Hey guys...

I just noticed this the other day but i have the rear driver's side wheel well gap smaller than the rear passenger's side wheel well gap. The driver's side is 1 1/4" where the passenger's side is 2". The springs, struts and all the suspension components are stock and so are the wheels. The only thing not stock are the tires (WS50s) and I don't think they could wear down 3/4" on the one tire. The gap difference is really noticable. The front wheels seem to have 2" of wheel gap, consistant to the rear passenger side wheel gap.

I have subs in the back but they are evenly placed in the middle of the car and I have just under a 1/2 tank of gas. I tried measuring it in several places but still the same result. I will try to remove the boxes and measure again but i don't think that is it.

What do you guys think? Anything I can test or should i just take it back to the dealer and have them check it out? I would like to have an idea of the possibilities of what it could be. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Al.

No it has to do with the fact that the springs on our cars are as stiff as a wet noodle and the rear sway bar has less bending resistance than a twisty tie.

Any change in pitch of the car IE road Crown. A Dip in your driveway ect will shift weight in the car. I noticed this then when I installed my coilovers the diffrence was not apparrent.

i parked on a flat spot in my work parking lot and still the same... the other three were the same gap except for the one... it was slightly better but very slightly....

I tried parking in the opposite direction in my underground parking spot and still got the same results... I don't know what it is...

I know when i go over dips in the morning, there is a creaking noise but that comes from the front of the car... i just thought that was the sound of warmed shocks because I don't hear that noise after the car has been parked in the cold for 9 hours...

+1 here also for passenger side higher regardless of how I park...I've also been having squeeky suspension, especially on the right side of the suspension (all stock for now, but I might as well lower it since it's a little noisy anyways :D) and in colder weather (more in early morning) and when I go up/down inclines at an angle...irritating and kinda worried...gonna have it checked out soon...(15000 miles on car, no accidents, don't drive on uneven surfaces that often)...can the struts be shot?
In Taiwan now...:spin:

Get it checked out you may have a weak coil. However most likely the dealer will tell you that there is nothing wrong cause they are lazy and don't want to deal with it.

Just tell them somthing is clunking when you go over bumps and give them a reason to actually check it out.

+1 here also for passenger side higher regardless of how I park...I've also been having squeeky suspension, especially on the right side of the suspension (all stock for now, but I might as well lower it since it's a little noisy anyways :D) and in colder weather (more in early morning) and when I go up/down inclines at an angle...irritating and kinda worried...gonna have it checked out soon...(15000 miles on car, no accidents, don't drive on uneven surfaces that often)...can the struts be shot?

Struts have ZERO effect on static ride height. Its your springs if anything.

• 2 months later...
my car has been like this stock, with Bilsteins, with Cusco coilovers and now with the current setup. Seems the norm.

Yep.... every LGT I have seen is this way.... I don't know why.

Yep.... every LGT I have seen is this way.... I don't know why.

i just noticed this today and it's really making me angry... anyone actually speak to their dealer about this yet? i rarely get the creaking noise but the driver's rear is noticably lower.

I just measured mine...from the ground to the top of the wheel arch at the wheel center. The front left is 1/4" lower than the right front and the left rear is 1/8" lower than the right rear.
It is still ugly.

Springs are the same part number left-to-right, so it's unlikely the spring itself is causing any difference. It seems more likely to me that the car actually weighs more on that side. Has anyone corner-balanced their Legacy? If the spring rate is 200 lbs/inch (say), and the height difference is 3/4", then shifting 75 pounds -- 2% of the car's overall weight -- from left to right would account for that height difference.

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

Has anyone corner-balanced their Legacy? If the spring rate is 200 lbs/inch (say), and the height difference is 3/4", then shifting 75 pounds -- 2% of the car's overall weight -- from left to right would account for that height difference.

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

I have it listed up here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3906

but my guess is that it's a build tolerance somewhere.. 18mm worth of difference is a lot..

Keefe

Archived