LegacyGT.com

Slightly used 05 a good choice?

Dean

Greetings everyone, I have browsed this site for weeks gathering info and the help has been tremendous. So I finally test drove a GT limited Sedan today and it met the expectations I had for it.

I got a quote for a Leg.GT Black almost fully loaded for 28800 out the door. Black is the only color I want and 05's are very rare these days so that is why I am interested. The catch is it was a Subie Execs car and it has 4200 (approx) miles already on it. Dealer said the car had only been used by one exec and was in great shape. I told him I was concerned that the proper break-in period may have been neglected but he assured me it would be fine. First I think the quote was pretty high since I've seen people getting 05's for 24-25 brand new. How low should I shoot for? Second is it worth it to buy a used car if I'm looking for a new one. I can afford to just order an 06 with everything I want and I was quoted at around 30 for that. Although the 5-7k difference seems nice (Put it back into MODS maybe:D). Advice? Suggestions? I'm not sure what to do.

Welcome to the board. As for buying a used one, if it has an early build date, I would NOT buy it. There's too many darn issues with these things...i.e. studdering, brakes, etc. I don't know how much could be fixed in the '06's, but I am almost sure that the studdering is fixed. Trust me, it ANNOYING as hell.

Also, if he did/did not treat it nice, who knows. And for 28K at that? No way! I would go for like 21K at best.

I should have waited for an '06 back in '04, but, oh well, I have an '05, and have been driving it for a year.

Good luck....and welcome again.

"Dealer said the car had only been used by one exec and was in great shape."

Translation... It was probably a demo model.

I bought my OBXT with 2300 miles on it. Basically you are buying a new car minus the initial depreciation of driving it off the lot. Use the money you save to get the extended warranty and enjoy.

Welcome to the board. As for buying a used one, if it has an early build date, I would NOT buy it. There's too many darn issues with these things...i.e. studdering, brakes, etc. I don't know how much could be fixed in the '06's, but I am almost sure that the studdering is fixed. Trust me, it ANNOYING as hell.

is this studdering problem common in the '05s?

Well, not all of them. There's a certain number that are affected...we just don't know how many. I know that mine experiences it...around 2500 - 3500 RPM...in most gears. I have taken it to the dealer, with no resolve...but I will have to go back again, one of these days, and take them out for a test drive...to 'reproduce' the issue, that they could not. Check the 'Studdering Fix Released' thread.

please do not buy mine had a 100 miles on it and still having brake issues with it they sure did a bad break in on my brakes so please do your self a break and take note of what we are tell you before you fall for the sales pitch I would have just had them find one with no miles then could blam some of the stuff on my self:( :(

Seems kinda high to me. One dealership here had a 2005 black LGT automatic non-limited with about 7000-7800 miles on it, for $23k (pre-tax). It was a rental car. Thank goodness I didn't buy it.

I had my heart set on a new car and I got one. Cost me more but the peace of mind was worth it for me.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

what everyone is saying is true, the 1st few miles on a car on or off the lot are going to be REALLY hard on the car, mainly cos people who test drive "wanna see what this baby can do" and rag on it. My car had 312 miles on it when I bought it (didn't know this till I got it, but it had been on the lot almost all of 05.. it was an early 05) and the rotors were warped. An easy warranty fix, but still its just one of many possible problems that can come along from people ragging on it.

Personally I wouldn't worry about mileage under 1000, but 4200 sounds like a lot. Also..$28,800 sounds ridiculously high to me. I got mine for $26,9 out the door, 05 GT 5EAT, homelink, taupe, thats about it, obviously it will be more if you get the accessories, but the way I see it you can install those later.

Personally with 4200 miles on it, thats a used car, and I wouldn't pay any more than 1 year old prices from a used car. Edmunds says this car has nearly $9000 depreciation, and being a 31k sticker price, I'd say offer them 20k out the door and see what a happy median you can work up to. I would say worst price on a 4200 mile "used" 05 LGT 5EAT with every option is 24,5 to NOT walk out on. They have some nerve trying to charge you invoice on a car thats a year old and programmed. Just because it hasn't been titled doesn't mean its not "used"

What you have to do is not be afraid to walk out on the deal, everyone told me that, and it really helped me out. Also, if you are still looking for a car, and you think you can do the 26 or so, most people on the forum I have read about are doing decently equipt ones for this by price shopping. What I did (and this becomes harder now that 05s are not in production) is find one you like, and call around to other dealers up to a few hours away from you and try and get them to beat prices. I wound up driving from Augusta GA to Savannah GA to get my car, it saved me $1000 off the walkout price.

Good Luck, whatever your desicion.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Thanks Everyone for your help and input. What build date should I look for to be safe from problems. And 28k I know is way too much and I would never pay that, unless the dealer will negotiate significantly I'll order an 06, 21-22k sounds more reasonable for the used one. Thanks Again

I just got a used black '05 limited wagon for 22500 with 12000 miles. I prolly paid a little more than I should have, but it has everything I want. I was quoted 26500 on a new '05 that a dealer was trying to get rid of (I didnt even try and get it lower, thats where they started). I would maybe look for an '05 sitting on a lot new and see what they will let it go for. Now that the '06 is coming out, they are prolly going to try and clear out all the '05s.

Shoot for a low price - especially with the '05s being so nicely discounted now - and be extra careful on your inspection of the car pre-delivery - test-drive the car extensively, and have someone knowledgeable look at the car, too.

Winky was a demo, and I fell in love with her and got her despite having been offered a new LGT with the same optionis and trim level, at the same price.

Winky has an 06/04 build-date, and came to me with some 6,300 miles on the odo.

No "brake shake," no "studder/stutter," no "clutch stink," not a single ratle or creak.

There's a distinct group of Scooby enthusiasts who believe that our cars actually benefit from a harder break-in. Although whether or not this will hold true over the long run, no-one really knows, but certainly, there's enough of us around who can testify that this has not yet caused an issue. Similarly, there are those who advocate a harder break-in based on a different school of mechanical thought, as well as cite that the vast majority of new-car engines are truly "broken-in" at the plant. Search for "break-in procedures," and you'll get some good hits.

In the end, it all comes down to whether or not the car's mechanically sound and whether or not you're comfortable with the purchase.

Drive a hard bargain, and hey, best of luck! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I went the demo route. I have no regrets. I found an 05 Black LGT ltd wagon black on black 5speed with 7K on the clock. I got it for 20,000. It was a "dealer exec car" whatever that means.

With the $$ I saved I bought the extended Subaru Warranty. I have not had any of the problems listed above. No brake warp or other issues. I have a "slight" and I mean "slight" studder on accelleration when I do not have enough revs for the gear, speed and throttle position. While possibly making myself a paraiah -- I do think the studder is more closely related to driving style rather than any problem with the car. I know that many will disagree -- but that's my opinion after driving several small displacement turbocharged cars.

Anyway, I must say that I would not have done this deal with a VW or Audi or BMW -- or even Volvo. A big part of my decision was based on the stellar relaiability ratings that Subi has from just about every source. I was ready and willing to buy an new 05 -- I actually had put a deposit on a Silver LGT Ltd with an auto. After driving the manual -- that went out the window.

In the end I am quite happy with the deal and the car. Probably one of the most fun cars I have ever driven -- and to boot I was able to but all the junk my family needed for a 10 day vacation.

My Wife summed it up best when she said "Dan got the car he wanted at the price I wanted."

Good luck.

-Dan

I bought a demo with 7k kms on it as well, got a nice discount which allowed me to get into the LGT ltd. I havent had any more problems than people that bought their cars "new" off the lot, with issues such as studdering and clutch stink, some people notice them and some do not.

If you think the discount is good get the car youll love it.

That's WAAAY high. We bought our "exec car", a black, loaded LGT Limited, for just under 25K. It was closer to 10,000 miles, but it was months ago. We spent some the money we saved on the extended, 60,000 warranty, but have had no problems.

I wouldn't pay more than 25K for it.

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

Greetings everyone, I have browsed this site for weeks gathering info and the help has been tremendous. So I finally test drove a GT limited Sedan today and it met the expectations I had for it.

I got a quote for a Leg.GT Black almost fully loaded for 28800 out the door. Black is the only color I want and 05's are very rare these days so that is why I am interested. The catch is it was a Subie Execs car and it has 4200 (approx) miles already on it. Dealer said the car had only been used by one exec and was in great shape. I told him I was concerned that the proper break-in period may have been neglected but he assured me it would be fine. First I think the quote was pretty high since I've seen people getting 05's for 24-25 brand new. How low should I shoot for? Second is it worth it to buy a used car if I'm looking for a new one. I can afford to just order an 06 with everything I want and I was quoted at around 30 for that. Although the 5-7k difference seems nice (Put it back into MODS maybe:D). Advice? Suggestions? I'm not sure what to do.

$28800 is too much for that car. I used to sell cars, so I know.:) First off, what does the car sticker for? Whatever it stickers for, you should NOT pay more than $4000 CHEAPER than the sticker price. There is much more room to negotiate with a used car than a new car.

If you can't get a good deal like this, keep looking. Also, you shouldn't pay more than about $400 over invoice for a new model. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Archived