LegacyGT.com

Skid plate options?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Rallitek one, it's really nice! not mounted right now because i need new spacers because i melted them.... (had to cut the hardware off when i removed it a few months back)

I've heard some pretty loud bangs off of it before, chunks of ice, rocks, etc... has some nice scrapes down the length, a few dings, but it still looks good, and doesn't have any signs of failing, or being... bad?

I have a primitive skid plate and I can tell you that shipping on the rallitek for me was like 80 dollars to ship and the primitive was like 15. I don't know for sure but I think the rallitek has a little more protection on sides then the primitive one. It definitely gives me more confidence in winter with ice chunks. If I was to buy again I would not have paid extra for the oil filter hole it's basically useless.

I have a Primitive one as well. I just installed it. Primitive was really easy to deal with and as mentioned above, his shipping was really inexpensive. The piece itself is nice and the installation was easy. I liked the design of the Rallitek one, but I had some customer service issues with them, so....

I have the primitive engine and rear dif skid plates. They are pretty well made. Design isn't amazing and it doesn't have the side protection of the Rallitek. My only real complaint is how low the stock hardware hangs down on front, makes the mounting bolts the lowest point on the front of the car. Mine got pretty banged up and eventually tore out one of the threaded mounts on the car. I ended up replacing them with really long carriage bolts that go all the way through the lower radiator support beam. The rear dif plate is pretty slick. super heavy duty and a good jack point for the rear of the car.

I have the thicker primitive with filter and drain holes on the OBXT. Should have bought the thinner unit without the drain holes. I have been taking it off each OCI. It's a mess if you dont, least I was not pleased the first time I tried and didn't experement how to make it better... Agreed it's not the most sophisticated unit out there but effective. Still need to put the diff guard on. Waiting for a need to for the most part.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/taporsnap_25/0C8A0F80-0B3E-4551-84B8-0C9CE0E5DE04_zpsodvdbfeg.jpg

Here's the downside of the primitive there's a big gap under the airbox. I put a piece of card board under so you can see the gap better.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/taporsnap_25/F9CCD439-53ED-4D26-B28C-FEE8FFAD843D_zpsczaj1icn.jpg

Was reading back on the Primitive options and there is a "stinger tail" option as well for the GT/XT that extends back for more protection of the AT transmission.

I'm considering a valve with hose nipple to make OC cleaner affair.

Additional wings would be a nice addition to it and I'm going to get that done once I get the car tune settled in. Not sure if I'll look into the stinger panel as this thing is already over kill for what I'm doing with the car.

I have a primitive skid plate in front, no holes so I remove it for oil changes, no big deal. On the occasions where its been used/made contact, the paint on the bottom of my oil pan is scuffed up a bit so I might add a spacer on the rear bolt.

I also hacked up my OEM under tray and fixed the sides of them to the primitive plate to give the extra coverage.

Have a Primitive skid plate. 3/8" (thicker) without any holes. It's a very high quality and well-made piece, and I was a bit surprised by its weight/solid feel. Have to remove it for every oil change, but it's just an extra step - hardly a PITA. Side coverage isn't great, but I haven't had issues with anything coming up that small gap, so for all intents and purposes, it works just as needed. It's also incredibly satisfying to hear crap bouncing off when you're driving on a dirt/unpaved road. Also, very excellent customer service, which was a big deciding factor, actually.

Unfortunately, they don't anymore, unless you're lucky enough to stumble across some rare NOS, which I wasn't. I searched high and low for a GTSpec since it appeared to have better side coverage (but can't vouch for its durability) - I must've emailed 30 vendors to no avail before I went with Primitive.

Why not go custom. I spent 50 bucks and have a great product with more coverage. If I wanted to get side protection I could get a few pieces welded up.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/hobbit13/null_zps2ccbf874.jpg

Got a piece of alum that was 36"x36". Got the company that picked it up for me to bend it 10* at 9" from the front. Had to make a template and cut it to fit. It tucks nicely behind the bumper (big problem with most plates is that they don't protect the rad supports etc).

This way my bumper is better supported and I know I'm fully protected underneath. It has gotten a good workout since it has been installed. It's been a snowy and cold winter up in northern ontario. Nice to hear a solid thud and know that it's my skid plate not my oil pan.

Archived