LegacyGT.com

Should I Klass my new wheels?

^+1 Always put something on your wheels it needs protection just like your cars paint. Klasse is pretty tough.

I use collinite 845. As tough as it is on paint it works really well on wheels.

If you do use it, then plan on using it again and again every two months or so just to be safe. Nothing is going to protect them forever, so just like your automobile paint, you need to keep up on it and maintain them. Klasse and any other sealant you put on your wheels will help keep the dust from sticking as much, but it isn't going to perform miracles. Don't expect to never have to wash your wheels again or anything like that. Until you switch to ceramic pads then you are going to constantly have to deal with the brake dust issues on your wheels. Having a sealant on them will protect them from damage that this dust might cause, but you still need to wash the wheels frequently.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanks everyone. I do wash the wheels when I do the car as outlined by OCD instructions! ;-)

I guess my main point was putting Klass or something else on the wheels would actually help protect them. So now I know my answer!

Protecting them is always good. Even if you use normal car wax then it is better than nothing. Because of the heat and harsh environment that the wheels live in, a sealant is really the best choice. Which sealant is just up to you, but since they are silver it doesn't really matter. Pick the one that seems to last the longest for your circumstances.

OCDETAILS BLOG

The three layers aren't really necessary. Since they are just wheels and there isn't a whole lot of paint to shine up, one layer every 8 weeks should do the trick. Applying Klasse to wheels can be a little tricky and is best done with the wheel off the car. It would be a bit of a paint to take the wheels off every night for three days just to put a coat of sealant on them when one will do the trick. You won't get as much bang for your buck with three layers on wheels as you will with three layers on the rest of the car.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Also for maintenance once you have them on look into getting a spray sealant. Allows you to work much faster on the wheels. A good list of cheap spray sealants (keep the expensive ones like Zaino aside for your paint) are...

Duragloss Aquawax

Mothers FX Synwax

Meguiar's NXT Spray Wax

They are cheap, relatively speaking, and have descent durability and if you are really in a hurry you can use them on your paint ;)

Another thing to consider is a product called 'poly booster'. I am going to experiment with it next week in fact. It is an additive that you can put in any spray wax, QD, liquid wax, or sealant. Supposedly it is like a turbo charger for whatever product you put it in. Durability goes through the roof and it acts like a super sealant. Something like that added to a spray wax like NXT could be very interesting. I've got an order of it on the way and will be testing it out soon. I ordered it from http://www.danase.com. Danase has been a great supporter of OCDetails and our events lately. They are the main sponsor of our Spring Cleaning Event too. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

^Danase rocks! :) Thats where I buy all my stuff from. Awesome customer service.

I have heard of the polychargers, apparently there are two types one for water based sealants and another for oil based. Some people have gotten some very good durability out of some conventional waxes and sealants with them. I'll have to try them one day.

Once I get it I plan on sending out some samples of treated products so people can experiment with it. Multiple reviews are always more helpful than one man's perspective of it. I can be a little critical when it comes to reviewing products. I'll let you know when I get it and I'll send you a QD sample and a wax sample and perhaps you can tell me what you think.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Once I get it I plan on sending out some samples of treated products so people can experiment with it. Multiple reviews are always more helpful than one man's perspective of it. I can be a little critical when it comes to reviewing products. I'll let you know when I get it and I'll send you a QD sample and a wax sample and perhaps you can tell me what you think.

No problem. PM me when you're set :) I have to order some 5" pads from Danase this week I'm really looking forward to trying his 5" CSS pads.

Sheesh... what am I? Sears Robuck? lol I'll see what we can work out when I have the products in hand. What I'd be sending is just a small bottle of treated wax or QD that you would evaluate and track your results on. I may try something tricky and get a lot of people involved and send half of them normal product and the other half treated product. I just won't tell you which is which. ;) That would make for some really fun experimenting.... Hmmmm......

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived