LegacyGT.com

should I have connected the power antenna wires on new stereo install? bad reception

jmberg

I just installed this Clarion in my 2006 Legacy SE wagon. It looks great, sounds great, and performs really well except for the radio signal. The reception is very weak. When I was attaching the wiring harness I didn't bother connecting the blue power antenna wires, thinking "I don't have a power antenna." Now I'm wondering if that's the source of my bad reception. Is there an antenna amp that needs power, and will connecting the antenna wires likely solve my problem? THANKS!

Update: I pulled everything out and connected the blue antenna wires (radio to wiring harness pin #14) and re-installed everything. The verdict: no improvement in reception.

I'm looking again at CLARION's wiring diagram (http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/872/447/CX501_INST,1.pdf), which seems to confirm that I did exactly what's required.

I've read about the antenna wires breaking off in the rear boot, but it seems highly unlikely that this would randomly happen exactly at the moment when I swapped my stereo.

Any other ideas?

I'll just continue this dialogue with myself. As far as my installations go, third time's a charm. I had a bad connection with the power antenna wires following my annoyed, hasty removal and re-install. I just soldered and taped those blue wires, and all is well in reception land. Now I can officially say that I love this stereo.

http://i.imgur.com/MoJwO.jpg

glad it worked.. instead of tape heat shrink tubing is better that is what i used on all connections. Also there is some clear goop you can buy at the auto store that is better and hardens to a protective shell.

• 2 months later...
JMBerg - would you be willing to give me a walkthrough on the requirements to replicate what you've done? I've never installed a stereo but feel like its something I could do. I recently went through installing one of Jazzy Engineering's aux in lines but in the process somehow through off the alignment of my CD player which makes both the aux in line and the CD player useless. I'm facing replacing the CD player but think going for an install like this with an actual aux in would be a much better option.

My advice is to buy a stereo from Crutchfield. It will come with the new faceplate for your aftermarket stereo, the wiring harness to connect your new stereo to the existing wires in the dash, and the antenna adapter to easily connect your new stereo. Through crutchfield, all of this come for FREE ( $70+ purchases separately). Plus, they will also provide detailed installation instructions.

Assuming you have the 2.5i, like me, with MANUAL climate controls, you'll follow the same steps to remove all the trim pieces and pull out the factory HU. Then it's simply a matter of connecting the wires that come with your new stereo to the wiring harness [adapter] that crutchfield provides. It's all color coded these days, so you'll simply connect the red wire from your stereo to the red wire on the harness, and blue/white to blue/white, etc. There is, of course, a wiring diagram included too.

I guarantee that you'll find that replacing the stereo is an infinitely simpler job than installing one of those Jazzy aux in lines, and you'll gain more options and functionality too. I did this primarily to get an aux in, but i never use it because music streaming via Bluetooth is so easy, streamlined, and sounds great!

You might find a stereo for a nominally cheaper price elsewhere, but you'll then spend $75 on the above-mentioned FREE accessories. You really can't beat the service crutchfield provides. Free, FAST shipping too.

Let us know what you decide to do!

If you have a manual climate control Legacy, getting an aftermarket HU through Crutchfield is absolutely the best move, IMHO. Just double check their instructions, and be sure they include an antenna adapter. They left it out of my friends Forester install kit.

Yeah, after visiting their website I realized just how Sweet and easy their systems are, went with the same clarion head unit. Kicking myself for driving around all these years thinking I couldn't do anything about it hope to have installation done this weekend. Also picked up the sound ordinance 8" powered flat sub, anyone put one of these in have any tips on how to install it and where it fits well?

Yeah, after visiting their website I realized just how Sweet and easy their systems are, went with the same clarion head unit. Kicking myself for driving around all these years thinking I couldn't do anything about it hope to have installation done this weekend. Also picked up the sound ordinance 8" powered flat sub, anyone put one of these in have any tips on how to install it and where it fits well?

Try under the driver or passenger seat, IMHO. It should fit in either location, I did look into it a bit before deciding to go a different route.

Archived