LegacyGT.com

short throw shifter

ir2005

Im looking to get a short throw shifter for my 05 lgt.

I know there is kartboy, twm, cobb and a few others out there but I don't want to buy something and it not be to my liking. I've searched on here and google not much has come up that answers my questions.

I want something short meaning the height without having to modify it or modifying my stock one. and also a good shift throw reduction. Does anyone have pictures of theirs installed that they could show me?

any advice would be helpful!

Thanks

Brandon

If you're worried about getting something that is to your liking I would just go with the Cobb. It's adjustability makes is almost impossible not to get it set up in a way that you will be happy with. I've got one on my car and it took about 45 minutes to install including the time needed to modify the shifter surround. I'm happy with it.

I didn't get a knob, but I've heard many of the options available will also shorten the shifter height.

I ordered front and rear shifter bushings but ended up returning them. I never installed them. The front bushings are a little more involved to install than I originally thought, not to say it's too hard I was just thinking it would be a quick 20 minute deal. Plus I was happy enough with the shifter feel without them.

• 1 month later...
Just put in a COBB and the front bushings. I am going to be getting the rear bushing soon as well. I am very happy with the COBB and the bushings to this point. The adjustment with the COBB is awesome and is great to fit everyones personal preferences.

You should also think about the STI rear tranny mount. Made a big difference in high rpm shifting in my 05 wagon. I put the same mount in my 09 Spec B and it didn't change a thing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...
Bumping an old thread, but did you guys with the Cobb STS's get any increase in noise from the tranny, or any "gear grinding" noises? I'm researching STS's, and I like a short height for aesthetics, but a lot of theads report a noticeable and annoying increase in road noise.

There is definitely a correlation between a sts (and/or new bushings) and noise.

My 6mt was already loud with my stock shifter and kartboy bushings; so I didn't notice much sound increase when i went with my spt sts.

There is definitely a correlation between a sts (and/or new bushings) and noise.

My 6mt was already loud with my stock shifter and kartboy bushings; so I didn't notice much sound increase when i went with my spt sts.

I'm wondering if I'm better off modifying a stock shifter and just cutting down the height (if it can be done). Is it the weight of the aftermarket shifters that causes the noise? Would I still get the noise if I just went for the STS and no bearings?

It's too bad I can't just replace the knob and have the lower look I'm going for. I don't really mind the throw of the stock shifter.

To quote mike sprank (regarding the Cobb sts extra noise)....

"Thats because of the materials used. OEM is far heavier and denser. So, it mutes the noise. I know exactly what you are talking about. Unfortunately in order to block out all the noises in my SpecB the stock radio was inadequate. Performance and luxury dont always go hand in hand."

So it's the height that you don't like, not the throw distance...?

Right, the shift height is a higher priority to me than throw distance. I don't race the car, and haven't found the shift distance to be that much of a hindrance. I'm more concerned with preventing any noise increase than decreasing throw distance.

To quote mike sprank (regarding the Cobb sts extra noise)....

"Thats because of the materials used. OEM is far heavier and denser. So, it mutes the noise. I know exactly what you are talking about. Unfortunately in order to block out all the noises in my SpecB the stock radio was inadequate. Performance and luxury dont always go hand in hand."

That's exactly the quote that got me nervous, I actually had Cobb's website loaded and was about ready to pull the trigger earlier.

1) An aftermarket STS will make more noise for the aforementioned reasons. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the OEM shifter is actually a two piece, so it's isolated/insulated somewhere at the bend.

2) Most people that install STS also install shifter bushings, which are harder and make the shifting feel more crisp and direct, at the cost of increase noise also.

3) A lot of people have different shift knobs also. Believe it or not, the shift knob matters for noise. An OEM leather MOMO knob makes less noise than an OEM aluminum MOMO knob.

4) Cutting the top of your stock shifter and simply rethreading it to allow the knob to sit a bit lower will indeed decrease your height AND it will also decrease your effective throw distance. Think about how the closer you sit down to the fulcrum/pivot point the less distance you have to "swing" the lever to get the same angle of change.

5) Lowering the shift knob without doing anything else also increases the amount of force you need to perform a shift due to a decrease in leverage. You can offset this probably by getting a heavier shift knob.

^ great points. An STS is more than a cut shifter stem. They have to change the complete geometry of the bends and throws.

And yes- the shifter knob plays a huge part in sound insulation. I'm a fan of the Oem knob luckily.

^ great points. An STS is more than a cut shifter stem. They have to change the complete geometry of the bends and throws.

And yes- the shifter knob plays a huge part in sound insulation. I'm a fan of the Oem knob luckily.

What he said, the OEM knob is the best.

If its a race car the heavy steel knob can help with the throw. The race car (Civic) had a Skunk2 STS and thier heavy knob, with solid engine mounts never missed a shift at near 9500rpm.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived