LegacyGT.com

Short Shifter

a2cpc

I would recommend not changing the bushings. I installed the rear kartboy bushings when I install my kartboy sts. it made it very hard to shift and made the tranny hum. Trannies are no suppose to hum. That's bad :). Just try the shifter first and see how it feels. Do forget after you install the shifter that it does'nt hit the shifter opening. You might have to file it. You will just need to get the tool to remove the c-clip at the base of the shifter.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

The bushings remove some of the "slop" from shifting. Theoretically it should allow for more precise shifting. But the harder bushing also increases NVH that stock bushing helps filter out. I would also suggest that you try the STS without the bushings first. If you like the way it feels then leave the bushings off.

So the Subaru Short shifter isn't any good? I heard that the others weren't true short shifters, but just changed the pivot point. If so, wouldn't the Subaru one be better, even if it is a little longer shift? Since it is a factory install, isn't it coverd by the waranty?

So the Subaru Short shifter isn't any good? I heard that the others weren't true short shifters, but just changed the pivot point. If so, wouldn't the Subaru one be better, even if it is a little longer shift? Since it is a factory install, isn't it coverd by the waranty?

STS stands for short throw shifter. The length of the shifter is only part of the equation for shorter throw. Ideally you actually want to keep as much of the shifter length as possible for leverage. A properly designed STS will combine shorter shifter length with repositioned pivot point. The point is to be able to shift in and out of the gears faster, not to simply have a shorter shifter stock.

STS stands for short throw shifter. The length of the shifter is only part of the equation for shorter throw. Ideally you actually want to keep as much of the shifter length as possible for leverage. A properly designed STS will combine shorter shifter length with repositioned pivot point. The point is to be able to shift in and out of the gears faster, not to simply have a shorter shifter stock.

So going by this, wouldn't the STi STS be better?

Archived