LegacyGT.com

Shift lock system not working, need help to locate the problem

Hi guys!

i had several years with the shift lock system not working properly, some times unlock when i depress the brake pedal; often does nothing and then i have to manually unlock it (pressing the button)

but now, i just decide... i wan tot pursuit the problem and fix it! (with your help, of course)

i just disassembled the shift lock plastics.. and i used my multimeter to figure it out that there is no voltage at the solenoid when i press depress the break pedal

so following back the chain.. i guess I should now test the solenoid relay.. am i right?

Where can i locate it?

These are old cars. I'm not sure of the wiring, but I would start with the switch on the brake pedal. Maybe it's wired to the brake light switch?

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

These are old cars. I'm not sure of the wiring, but I would start with the switch on the brake pedal. Maybe it's wired to the brake light switch?

SC

Hi!

the brake pedal wiring is ok, there is only one switch, so i guess any info/action the ecu need which involve the brake pedal would come from that switch, and brake light is working, so i assume brake pedal switch is oke.

I would maybe start by checking the signal from the switch on the appropriate wires, or from lock out back to the switch.

Or convert to a manual transmission. ;)

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Archived