LegacyGT.com

Shift Knobs

Vahkil

I am thinking of installing a STS. There is a wealth of info in here about them. I am also planning on replacing the knob.

My question is to anyone who has the Kartboy shifter knob. Does that insert at the top come attached to the knob? If not, how would the knob look without it? Does it look unfinished? I want a simple design like it ( http://www.allwheelengineering.com/basket/catalog.cgi?query_net_id=kartboy&query_class=KB-015 ), but I don't like the brand logo.

I really like the MOMO Sphere knobs but they are a little too pricey for me for a shift knob. I can get the KB one with the STS for only $30.

- V

some are weighted, some are not.. the weighted ones really do help the ease of throwing the stick into position.

Momo also makes Carbon Fiber ones that are great all year round.. they are smooth for the glove to slide from the pull to push positiion of your hand as well as them being larger to fit your hand (unless you really have small hands.

Every style is different and it's up to you of what you really prefer. Some are very pricey and you'll eventually see why as they are built to quality (I know, it's only a silly shift knob).. it's really up to you of how much you want to spend.

Keefe

Keefe

I can tell you that you will like the round knob, but I can also tell you that you aren't going to like burning your hand on it. I've tried everything to keep my MOMO shifter knob cool and not much works. It doesn't even need to be in the sun to heat up to the point where it seriously isn't something you want to touch. It is ok for shifting, but you can't leave your hand on it for too long. It cools down, but it is really a "pain" for the first few miles until it cools off. The Kartboy knob is a hell of a lot more metal than the MOMO one too, so you can expect a lot of burn with it. I drive with gloves on in the winter, so I don't care about the cold, but the heat that this knob is going to absorb would probably keep me from choosing it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

It seems to me that the MOMO knobs, in being relatively lightweight as well as being effectively isolated from the shift lever via the rubber adapters/bushings, simply get hot as they're, via the former, low mass, and via the latter, insulated.

The reason I think this is because on my last DSM, I had a GReddy Counterweight knob that mated (screwed-on) to a B&M short-throw, and that thing *NEVER* got uncomfortable to-the-touch -- and yes, my MOMO Race was a "scorching ice-cicle." My theory is that both its mass as well as its effective heat-sinking through the actual shifter allowed it to remain more temperature stable.....

That said -

What's the weight/mass of the Kartboy?

Is it a screw-on, or a "universal adapter?"

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I never even considered the temperature aspect. This is my first MT so I am new to choosing a shift knob. I just can't see dropping $90 on a hunk of metal.

I have no clue as to the stats on the weight, but the Kartboy website says it is a threaded knob to fit. That is one of the main appeals to me so I get the clean look without screws.

I'm starting to reconsider though, because I know how it sucks to touch the steering wheel in the heat let alone a solid piece of metal (a la when the seatbelt metal piece brushes across you on a 100 degree day). Maybe a leather wrap knob is the way to go (which probably means the stock one until I want to shell out the $ for a MOMO)

The MOMO isn't entirely leather wrapped. Anyway, I got mine for $40 bucks shipped from a good member of LGT.com. Keep your eyes open and you can score them for good deals. I was only leary of paying money for a knob that I didn't like. The stock knob is just the wrong shape for me. I don't care about weight or anything like that, I just wanted something that I didn't have to worry about missing when I reached for it durring shifting.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

1) Yes, Momo knobs are on the pricier side. Yes you can get them cheaper on ebay, but not by a big margin IMO. I got mine from LTB Motorsports.

2) I wouldn't worry about screws. Most Momo knobs have a "cap" of sorts that screws on the bottom of the knob, hiding any screws completely. Installation, even though it's not a plain screw-on, is pretty easy.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

^^^

Exactly, the "cap" will cover any installation set screws - alternatively, MOMO also offer integrated one-piece shifter+boot combos, as well as markets their own shifter boots, which screws into and mates perfectly with their knobs.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

that cap is a good spacer that is also made of rubber to keep the vibration off your hands for those who rest your hands on the shifter (which is a big NO-NO to do anyways).

Momo offers one of the larger ranges of shift knobs that are larger than most competitor shift knobs, from Sparco, Kartboy, and even the JDM ones like HKS, Blitz and Apex'i. I guess European hands are bigger than Japanese ones..

Errr-go-nom-miks ;)

Keefe

Keefe

that cap is a good spacer that is also made of rubber to keep the vibration off your hands for those who rest your hands on the shifter (which is a big NO-NO to do anyways).

Think we're talking of two different "caps," bro. :)

I think that starlabs and I were referring to the bottom "end-caps" which finish off the knob's dress-up. This is the one that's threaded to match the base of the knob, the area where the set-screws which latch on to the stock shifter stalk/lever would reside, thus allowing for a very pretty, aesthetically "complete" installation.

I think the "cap" you're thinking of, Keefe, we're currently referring to as the "adaptor" - of which there's a complete set packaged with each MOMO "universal" knob.

Good point that it also provids vibration isolation (although with my Kartboy bushings installed, it's not doing much at all to suppress the "entire stalk" vibration) - and an even better point taken in NOT resting one's hand on the knob! Important reminder!

Ah, that's right.. well, only the OEM Momo shift knobs for Subaru will include a collar to snap the shift boot onto the bottom of the shift knob.. the aftermarket ones dont have this bottom adapter collar and it's possible that the shift boot will sag down.

This is another key point to think about as well.

Keefe

Keefe

I'm pretty sure this knob has screws visible on the top:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/ltbmotorsport_1861_11443315

Are the holes on the top of this knob screw holes?:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/ltbmotorsport_1856_3951527

No, those are just fake screws.. I have that CF SHOT knob on my WRX and GT at one point.. the REAL screws that hold the shift knob are these tiny little allen screws that PINCH the shaft (it uses 3 of them to triangulate the pressure and center the shift knob at the center of the shaft). These little allen screws act as cleats to hold the shifter to the shaft.

Keefe

Keefe

The MOMO isn't entirely leather wrapped. Anyway, I got mine for $40 bucks shipped from a good member of LGT.com. Keep your eyes open and you can score them for good deals. I was only leary of paying money for a knob that I didn't like. The stock knob is just the wrong shape for me. I don't care about weight or anything like that, I just wanted something that I didn't have to worry about missing when I reached for it durring shifting.

That you are refering to is the OEM one.. there is a momo FULL LEATHER RACE and the HALF METAL RACE knob are you talking about.

Keefe

Keefe

:)

Ayup, looks like Keefe hit all points!

Vahkil, like Keefe cited, those screws that you're pointing out are just cosmetic/aesthetic/styling "enhancements" - they're there only to provide "the look," and are not for attachment at all.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/ltbmotorsport_1859_14804444

As this installation guide, which LTBMotorsports scanned off the MOMO install directions, shows, what actually secures the knob (A) to the shifter stalk/lever (D) are the three set-screws (B) provided (this is typical of many "centering and locking" applications, including firearms lasersights).

This area is itself later hidden, cosmetically, via the endcap, part (E).

^ that should fit fine, it might show the stock naked shaft because the 5EAT shaft is pretty long. Nevertheless it should fit since Subaru didnt design their 5EAT with an additional shift lock release button like the older automatic cars like my older Acuras.

Razo makes some really neat shifters too for Automatics:

http://www.carmate.co.jp/english/

http://hsg01.vehicle.ad.jp/products/new_product_e.html

http://www.racerwheel.com/accessories-accessories-razo---carmate.html

Keefe

Keefe

Quick question regarding the boot and non-OEM MOMO knobs:

When you say the boot might sag, how bad do you mean and does anyone have any pics of a non-OEM MOMO knob with the stock boot?

stock knobs have a collet on the bottom to snap the boot onto:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/fastwrx_1856_4085815

A workaround if your shift knob lacks this is to use the cap for a 2 litre bottle. Cut the center and slip over the shift rod before attaching the knob. It will hold the boot up.

Quick question regarding the boot and non-OEM MOMO knobs:

When you say the boot might sag, how bad do you mean and does anyone have any pics of a non-OEM MOMO knob with the stock boot?

Pics of my Momo knob with stock booty

It's not much of a sag, but there is a small gap. I just used a rubber washer I had lying around. Got that idea from ScoobyMods.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Patagonian: That is a very nice looking knob. I like the clean look.

starlabs: I love the way that looks and am leaning towards the silver carbon knob like that.

Good to know there are easy ways to custom fit the boot.

EDIT: Xenonk, still have that carbon shot knob and interested in selling?

Archived