LegacyGT.com

Shift Knob Install Fail

Nedrex

Ahhh the joys of becoming acquainted with the quirks of a recently purchased used car....

So, when I picked up my LGT earlier this month the momo shift knob immediately began to bother me: the little silver ring at the bottom is loose and rattles pretty much all the time.

I ordered up a Cobb delrin knob and figured that this would take care of the issue, no problem at all.

However, when I went to unscrew the momo knob I discovered that the entire shaft it is threaded onto is spinning and can actually be lifted upwards without too much effort. Clearly whatever this shaft has become disconnected from whatever it is supposed to be connected to on the bottom.

Now, not being familiar with the LGT shifter mechanism, I'm not sure WTF might be going on in there. I was told when buying the car that it had an SPT short shifter, which made sense to me as it is clearly shorter than stock.

So that's where I'm at. It seems to shift properly (thank god) but the shaft still comes upward pretty easily. I have not completely removed the shaft... mainly because I have no idea if I'll be able to get it back in properly afterwards.

Any ideas?

Here's a few pics for ya: the knob all the way down as it normally sits, the knob/shaft pulled upwards about an inch and a half, then a view looking down the shaft where some anodized blue can be seen (cobb sts perhaps?).

IMG_0590.thumb.jpg.c34ae1b465150fa1f7a6e9a24a7ce00f.jpg

IMG_0592.thumb.jpg.68c98f2767cf6c7dfd043a1267b873ae.jpg

IMG_0591.thumb.jpg.9af40d0600d8789d919b74932bfa2807.jpg

Look for a set screw on the knob somewheres. Unscrew the said set screw if there is one in the side of the knob and remove.

It doesn't look like anything is wrong with the shifter itself. Possibly the wrong thread in the knob itself.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

Unscrew the set screw in the side of the knob and remove.

It doesn't look like anything is wrong with the shifter itself.

Bingo. Universal shift knob fail.

That looks like the Cobb DA shifter.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just pulled off the boot and shroud... Sure enough: it's the Cobb sts and the top portion of the shaft has come loose from the blue aluminum portion. Should be as simple as loosening the bolts, reinstalling the shaft and tightening the bolts down to the Cobb specified 40 in/lbs. Lets hope it panne out that way!

Just pulled off the boot and shroud... Sure enough: it's the Cobb sts and the top portion of the shaft has come loose from the blue aluminum portion. Should be as simple as loosening the bolts, reinstalling the shaft and tightening the bolts down to the Cobb specified 40 in/lbs. Lets hope it panne out that way!

Glad you got it sorted out! Explore your LGT man! That way you'll have a better idea of what's going on when you start hearing 'unnatural' noises.

Thanks Lardo, if I were only up against putting the Cobb STS back together I think I'd be in good shape. But the plot has thickened....

Turns out that whoever installed this thing tightened the living shit out of the set screws and left me with four lovely little divots in the threaded rod! So, now I'll either be re-threading the rod if I can find the right sized thread die here at work or (more likely) I'll be chopping the top 1/4" of the rod off.

Updates to come...

Finding an M12x1.25 die is pretty easy. Most auto parts stores will have one.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived