LegacyGT.com

Second Generation Legacy Suspension FAQ

I am tired of the same questions being asked over and over again, so here is a FAQ that I have put together with the help of Reuben.

Q: Will STi struts and springs work on my car?

A: Yes, but only '04 STi struts will be a direct fit because in '05 the hubs were changed from 5x100 (which is what your car is) to 5x114.5. '05-07 STi springs will work too, but also require the '04-07 top-hats. Additionally, any '02-07 WRX set-up will work since the WRX never changed away from the 5x100 hub.

Q: I found some '05 STi struts and springs, can I use those?

A: The springs, yes, but not the struts for the reason mentioned above.

Q: How much lower will STi struts and springs make my car?

A: Approximately 1 inch.

Q: What about WRX struts and springs?

A: As stated above, yes they will fit. Any '02-07 WRX strut, spring and top-hat combo will work on our cars. These will only lower half an inch at most with the stock WRX springs.

Q: Can I use just STi springs?

A: Yes, but you will need the 04-07 rear top-hats if you are using 04-07 springs. If you are using JDM springs meant for a bugeye (GDA) you should be able to use your stock top-hats.

Q: Isn't STi stuff really expensive?

A: It can be, but for a complete set of '04 STi suspension you are looking at about $300-400, which is a pretty good deal when compared to our stock set-ups.

Q: Would 3rd or 4th gen stuff work?

A: Unfortunately, no. Both have a completely different rear suspension set-up.

Q: I want my car lower, what is the easiest way to do it?

A: Get a good set of aftermarket struts or springs, or even both. DO NOT cut your stock springs, not only does this decrease your handling performance but it can be very dangerous.

Q: I want my car slammed and heard S-Techs are the way to go.

A: No. Just no. You might as well cut your stock springs, just get a good set of performance springs and enjoy. You might not be quite as low, but you and your car will thank me. Please see THIS THREAD on NASIOC for more info.

Q: I've heard wagon and sedan rear struts are different, won't you get 'ass sag' with sedan struts in a wagon?

A: Generally it's chassis related. In most cases, second gen. Impreza (bugeye-hawkeye) suspension works just fine in our second gen. Legacy wagons and sedans. The exceptions being the 05-07 STi struts which don't work due to the different hub. GC/GF (first gen. Impreza) stuff also works in Gen 2 Legacy's, but GC/GF Impreza rear shocks and springs are shorter, and so you get the 'ass sag', regardless if it's from a wagon or a sedan.

Q: Is it hard to swap struts over?

A: If you've worked on cars before and generally know you way around, no, it's an easy job. I recommend having a friend help out when installing the struts, it makes things so much easier. Keep in mind that you must get an alignment done once finished.

Q: Ok, I installed some WRX suspension and now my wagon has a saggy butt. How do I correct this?

A: Spacers. Putting spacers in between the top hats and the top strut mounts on the car will help correct the sag.

Q: That is all good and all, but let's say I want to **gasp** raise my car.

A: In that case, your best bet is swapping on BD/BG Outback struts and springs or second generation Forester struts and springs.

Q: All that performance stuff is nice, but what about just replacing worn out OEM struts with stock-spec struts?

A: For that I would recommend KYB GR-2 struts, they are nicely priced and are excellent quality all around. Another option would be Monroe, they are also good stock replacements.

Q: While I have the car in the air, what else can I do to make my car handle better?

A: One simple thing you can do is install camber bolts. These will give you more available camber (can produce both positive or negative camber) to fine-tune your alignment.

Q: What about swaybars and endlinks?

A: Good question, please check out Zeus Marine's repost of Jamal's excellent swaybar FAQ HERE.

Q: What are you running on your car?

A: I currently have '04 STi struts with '05 STi springs, a 22mm adjustable Whiteline rear sway bar, Tribeca 25mm front sway bar, Kartboy solid front and rear endlinks, Ingalls camber bolts on all four corners and a slightly aggressive alignment (-2.3 degrees front camber with zero toe and -1.4 degrees rear camber also with zero toe).

More will be added as is needed. I hope this helps some ;)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ you da man

the fix for suspension sag on some applications here:

Saggy Butt Spacers

as far as springs, stay away from the Tein S-Tech, these are cosmetic lowering springs and have very soft spring rates, almost no benefits to handling other than the lower center of gravity, your ride will feel like you had cut springs..

there are several venders that sell stuff, but if you want used stuff, such as the '04 STi bits, your best bet is looking in the classifieds on nasioc or even better, on your local subie forum's classifieds

Oh, and as mentioned, with the short GC/GF impreza springs.

This is my wagon on the stock bilsteins, but with GF8 STi springs all round. Note how the rear end sits a good 20mm's lower. Not cool:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/Pilot_Reuben/IMG_4375.jpg

looks great!

thanks fwa good thread, and for zeus for the spacers. i've been a little disappointed with the rear sagging, but the combo of the gr-2 and h&r setup has exceeded my expectations.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Let's say I want to **gasp**, raise my car.

Outback suspension, obviously.

But what years will fit? I want to go as new as possible, since the cars have become heavier it should push me a bit higher.

another way to raise is to add metal to the bottom mount part or put spacers in. im working on the bottom part. let me explain. you know there are two bolts the connect the shocks to the car. welllll if you mount the shock 'up one hole' and then add metal to reach the bottom bolt. thats about a 2 inch lift. only problem is that 2 inches is alot and it might be bad for the axles..... confirm??

thats a horrible idea, the forces on the struts would be not be as designed and would likely cause a catastrophic failure

how is it any different then adding 1 inch in spacers? i need factual evidence and facts to prove it.

spacers dont change the geometry of the strut its self, the mounts were meant to take a load in a certain way from the mounting points on there, welding on extra bits to the bottom shifts the way stresses are applied to the rest of the bracket and would likely lead to it breaking or bending. this isnt rocket science.

highlinerider: '08s have completely different rear suspension set-ups from us. go with '02-07 wrx or 04 sti bits :)

Archived