LegacyGT.com

Seats?

MUD

I know this may be a little soon to ask seeing as how the car is fairly new.

Have any 05 GT owners swapped aftermarket seats into their ride? Such as Recaro, Sparco or the like?

If so....how'd it turn out? Do they sit any lower than the factory seats? Did you get power seats, or manual adjustability with them?

I'm asking because while the 8 way power seats in the Ltd do offer a little bit more room, I'm still looking to swap them out in the future for more leg room when I plan for Auto-x. I stand 6'3" and I'm also a big guy, so more room ensures a better fit for hard cornering & overall comfort.

I was thinking of purchasing the Recaro Sport seats with manual adjust, and having them wrapped in either perf leather, or maybe Alcantra center w/ leather trim to match the interior of my Ltd-GT. All in all....I'm willing to sacrifice the power seats & heat for more room for my fat azz. I was attracted to this car by the power, AWD & handling (Scoob was a +), not the BMW amenities (used to not having them).

TIA

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

most aftermarket seats are not powered. I've been told that the bracket is relatively the same as the STi. Normally a speed shop can build you a rail for an aftermarket seat. You can make the seat sit lower by a good 2".

Keefe

Keefe

I'm not sure what effect replacing the seats has on both the passenger sensor in the right front passenger seat and both seat air bags/sensors on the stockers. I'm sure it's a plug in unit, but IIRC, the curtain ab and the seat ab's are integrated... so this could be a problem. I also suppose the heated seats heating units could possible be swapped though.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'd love to get some seats with some different support. 90% of the driving is fine with what we have, but i do slide around on hard corners.

You can find some nice seats which have heating elements in them, I am more worried about the airbags.

We'll see how it turns out. I'm gonna give the leather & cushion on these factory seats some time to break in. I'm pretty damn heavy....so that should aid in the break in.

If not...I've been given the number to an engineering company that specializes in seat brackets. They've worked with Recaro on more than several occassions. I've been told it would be no problem for them to tackle my problem. Seeing as how I'm not quite Shaq.

That....and the trim shop I spoke to in town said it's more than possible to remove a little bit of padding from the seat cushion itself to gain a little bit more room.

The only thing I am worried about was mentioned above. Those air bags....but not the bags themselves. It's the sensors & relays in the seat, and those that lead to the seat. Hopefully.... there's a way to get around those without throwing a light. Maybe.... similar to what they do when you're needing an O2 sim on OBD-II cars seeking boost. We'll see.

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

The only thing I am worried about was mentioned above. Those air bags....but not the bags themselves. It's the sensors & relays in the seat, and those that lead to the seat. Hopefully.... there's a way to get around those without throwing a light. Maybe.... similar to what they do when you're needing an O2 sim on OBD-II cars seeking boost. We'll see.

People with WRXs that have wanted to get around this have been able to insert a resistor (I think thats all it was) into the circuit so that the air bag sensor thinks that everything is still ok and the other airbags will function properly. I can't remember the actual value of the resistor that was needed but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Archived