LegacyGT.com

Scammed by a guy in PA... need your help.

bskey

So to make a long story short I bought a laptop on eBay, the guy said he had a family emergency and couldn't ship out the laptop so he refunded my money. He then emailed me a few days later and said he would be able to send me the laptop, so if I still wanted it I should send the $$ via Paypal. So I did, and he printed off a shipping label, but never sent the package. I am now out over $800 and neither Paypal or eBay will take any accountability because the transaction actually took place outside their user agreements. Anyway, I am running out of options...I have the guys name, address, phone number, and more. My local PD isn't really doing much with it, and his local PD is saying any investigation has to be prompted by my PD... anywho, I am stuck and looking for advice. He lives in Coraopolis, PA. Any help or advice at this point would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brett

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

if you used paypal..file a claim, if you never recieved the item they HAVE to refund your money...i've done it before for $18bucks and they paid me back!!

and i used paypal outside of ebay...ebid.com i think. paypal contacted seller, no resoponse from seller, refunded my money.

~Sucka-Duck~

Nope, I have fought back and forth with Paypal and the seller found a loop hole, and they will not help me. I have called and escalated the call numerous times and they wont do anything. They only guarantee a refund if it's through eBay, if it's not, they will try to collect the money either through the sellers Paypal balance or from the sellers account, however this seller had no Paypal balance and had closed his linked bank account before Paypal could attempt to recoup the money. So now I am SOL. Sucks!

if that is the case...i've also filed a claim VIA my credit card company, after paypal and ebay said SOL, ....that worked also, a bit more tedious but the credit card company is on your side.

i got my money back ($800+) shortly there after, and low and behold the seller was like, i'll get you the money soon...sorry for the misunderstanding! haha...EAT IT!

~Sucka-Duck~

Nah, I paid through my checking account on PayPal, so no repercussions through my bank either. It's been 3 months now of back and forth... I am not sure what to do. I don't want to menace the guy... anyone know a Wesley Frazier in Coraopolis?

If your local PD isn't doing anything you can file a civil suit through your local courts. The PD should be doing something though. In PA. this is called theft by deception. I would check back with the PD to see whats up. Sometimes stuff like that gets moved to the bottom of the list because of higher priority cases.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

Well, because the crime crossed state lines they had me file a report with the FBI's internet crime division, so I've done that, but I don't quite know what to do next. I was thinking the DA in his town.... not sure yet...

Nope, I have fought back and forth with Paypal and the seller found a loop hole, and they will not help me. I have called and escalated the call numerous times and they wont do anything. They only guarantee a refund if it's through eBay, if it's not, they will try to collect the money either through the sellers Paypal balance or from the sellers account, however this seller had no Paypal balance and had closed his linked bank account before Paypal could attempt to recoup the money. So now I am SOL. Sucks!

So Paypal is basically worthless unless it's an eBay transaction? (a scammer obviously isn't going to have a Paypal balance or fat bank account sitting there).

On the checking account vs. credit cards - I have noticed Paypal encourages direct withdrawals from bank accounts by giving it "verified" status as opposed to credit cards. I had assumed Paypal avoids credit card fees by going straight to the bank account, but this story shows how buyers give up another avenue of relief (buyers credit card company) by authorizing the direct withdrawals.

I'm in PA but Coraopolis is a five hour drive from me.

Hopefully someone near by could swing by his house, tell this person that they are a friend of yours and are here for the laptop or the money, either is fine by you.

Edit: Let this be a lesson. If anyone tries to do that, tell them to put it back on ebay and win it again. Ebay actually has it written in their preventing scamming faq or whatever it is that they call it.

So Paypal is basically worthless unless it's an eBay transaction? (a scammer obviously isn't going to have a Paypal balance or fat bank account sitting there).

On the checking account vs. credit cards - I have noticed Paypal encourages direct withdrawals from bank accounts by giving it "verified" status as opposed to credit cards. I had assumed Paypal avoids credit card fees by going straight to the bank account, but this story shows how buyers give up another avenue of relief (buyers credit card company) by authorizing the direct withdrawals.

I'm in PA but Coraopolis is a five hour drive from me.

I got scammed on some car parts for my other vehicle back in December. I submitted funds via PayPal but as soon as he got the money he disappeared, and of course I never got the parts. Complaint to PayPal got the typical response to the effect of Sorry, they have no funds in their account, so there's nothing else we can do for you, you're sol.

I then went trough my credit card issuer and eventually got my money back. ALWAYS use your credit card as the funding source for PayPal as this gives you the extra layer of protection of the credit card company (Citibank in my case which has come through for me multiple times).

Just a side note, the scammer was a moron who used the same screen name on other boards. Some investigative Googling gave me his full name, DOB, current and prevoius addesses, pictures of him and his fugly girlfriend, photos of his vehicles with plates clearly visible. What an idiot.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, still nothing. I have the FBI involved but in the scheme of things my $800 is not their priority. Would anyone who is close be willing to knock on his door and just see if I have the right address?

Thanks!

we had a scammer division on my prelude board....some of us would call the house acting like a cop/Prosecutor and lay down what law...yadda yadda bout federal fraud due to state lines and such.....id say 50-50 we would get the items/refund to the person. if the contact info was correct to begin with

-Travis

Rob (rao) you're a fine gentleman, thanks I guess.

Archived