LegacyGT.com

Salvage search

So, I am driving last night on a local road, following some dude going 30 mph in 40 mph zone. Then he slows down, and I can see there are some deer in front of him. We both slow down to about 15 mph, suddenly - whack! we're hit on the passenger side by yet another deer. The deer gets up and runs away, and we get out and find the passenger front door all smashed up.

So I stopped by a body shop earlier today, and the guy says that Subaru does not sell the door skin, so the entire door needs to be replaced. I am looking at a $1200 bill, which I am going to pay out of my own pocket - last time I had a similar event, my insurance premiums went up a lot more than the cost of the repair.

Anyway, does anyone know of a wrecked WHITE LGT with a good right front door anywhere, preferably in or around NY/NJ? Thanks!

I am looking at a $1200 bill, which I am going to pay out of my own pocket - last time I had a similar event, my insurance premiums went up a lot more than the cost of the repair.

Really? Same thing happened to me...I got hit by a deer after i had stopped for another. It did about $800 in damage, which was covered under comprehensive (not collision) by state farm. $100 deductable and my rates didn't change.

Really? Same thing happened to me...I got hit by a deer after i had stopped for another. It did about $800 in damage, which was covered under comprehensive (not collision) by state farm. $100 deductable and my rates didn't change.

States have different insurance laws. In California, if an auto claim is not your fault (ie stolen car, possibly deer hitting your car like above) it can not raise your insurance. You're probably in a state with similiar laws, and just_phil isn't.

yeah, if a deer hits you, it should be considered as an act of god, so the insurance should not go up. i had a car stolen and totaled before and my premiums did not go up, even if it was an integra, one of the most stolen cars in the US

When I was shopping for insurance here in Maryland, a few companies told me that they actually gave you a break on your first accident. Meaning that your rates would not go up after your first accident. I would talk to your insurance company and see if that is something they offer. Your rates don't go up unless you make a claim, so inquiring with them won't raise your rates.

Stop! Tell your insurance company this was not a collision. It was an “Act O’ God” or nearsighted deer and should go against your comprehensive not collision. Hopefully this will be a lower deductible.

I saw a buck hit a BMW 328 last year that had stopped. You hear things like that from time to time, but to have seen a buck lower his rack and charge a helpless stopped car is astonishing. A buck in the rutting season is a fearsomely stupid and aggressive animal, and this one was strong enough to go for a second shot at the car before he got tired of it. He took out the left front fender, hood, and light assembly on that 328.

I too was "hit" by a deer while stopped, fortunately it was in the ex-wife's volvo( nothing to do with her being an ex). After that happened, I went on a hunting tear- "harvesting" a big Buck in 4 out of the last 5 years. I only occasionally hunted before the incident. I feel that by removing the "Deer Menace" I am saving others from this costly $$"act of nature":)
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

My comprehensive deductible is just as high as my collision deductible - $1000. With insurance rates like they are in NJ, this is the way to go, unfortunately.

I sent requests to both http://www.junkyarddog.com and http://www.car-parts.com. So far I've found a few doors, but only one is white, and it has a dent. So does mine :-) Anyway, they are asking between $600 (for the dented one) and $950 (for a blue one in Alabama), so it looks like I'll end up getting a new one.

I guess, as far as the deer accidents go, this one was minor...

And no, no hunting here. I live in the suburbs, there are some small patches of woods, yet plenty of deer.

I just noticed you're from NJ (I grew up in Chatham). The deer problem in parts of NJ is just outrageous. They complain about them here in Rochester but I have to say I can't remember when I last saw one in the suburbs up here.

In NJ though the deer are so crowded in with all the people that you see them near the road or dead on the side more than once a day.

Archived