LegacyGT.com

Safelite windshield cracked this morning

c-lo

As I pulled away from my house this morning my windshield cracked. My defrost was on auto with the A/C on. When I got to work I took a closer look and found what appears to be a VERY small surface nick in the windshield from a rock I assume. Crack goes straight across the bottom above the wiper blades and stops about 4in shy of the edge of the windshield on both sides.

The thing that pisses me off is it's hardly visible and the windshield cracked. They are coming out tomorrow to check it out and fingers crossed they'll warranty it.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

chime in here. started my own thread but...

35 days after safelite replaced my windshield mine cracked this morning. on closer inspection I noticed a VERY slight nick in the glass from where I rock hit me the other day. This thing is tiny......and IMO my windshield should not have cracked so soon.

they are coming out tomorrow to look at it and hopefully warranty it. if not, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

That sucks but how is this Safelite's fault?

I thought safelite used PPG glass?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That sucks but how is this Safelite's fault?

I don't remember saying it was Safelites fault:confused:. However considering how minor the nick is on my windshield compared to cracks I've had caused before rocks hitting my windshield I'm fighting for it to be warrantied.

The last rock that hit my windshield left a spider crack on it the size of my thumb and it lasted through 2 winters before the whole windshield cracked.

This thing looks like a pebble hit it. Unacceptable.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I don't remember saying it was Safelites fault:confused:. However considering how minor the nick is on my windshield compared to cracks I've had caused before rocks hitting my windshield I'm fighting for it to be warrantied.

The last rock that hit my windshield left a spider crack on it the size of my thumb and it lasted through 2 winters before the whole windshield cracked.

This thing looks like a pebble hit it. Unacceptable.

OK so you are blaming the windshield manufacturer. Either way how is Safelite or the manufacturer to blame that your windshield was hit with a rock?

WTF?? are you trying to pick a fight with me or something? Yes, a rock hit my windshield and it caused minimal damage. So minimal that I don't understand why the whole thing cracked.

yes, I'm questioning the integrity of the windshield considering how minimal the point of impact is from the rock.

I'm pissed and have every right to be upset considering I just ponied up the cash to have this replaced.

Now shove off and go find some noob to hassle.

easy c-lo, no need to get heated.

off chance did you turn the heated wiper option on? i have a safelite glass for two years now w/ no problem. (knocks on wood)

the installer told me he sees tons of subarus w/ the same issue and he thinks its cause of the wiper heater. i stopped using it cause its pretty useless anyhow.

just an fyi from being in the car business some years back a small nick can turn into a crack quickly cause of heat and cold expansion. seen it happen more times than i care to mention.

I'm not picking a fight. I'm just trying to figure this out.

just an fyi from being in the car business some years back a small nick can turn into a crack quickly cause of heat and cold expansion.

It's like if I just got new tires put on and I ran over a nail. Yeah it sucks, but thats life.

easy c-lo, no need to get heated.

off chance did you turn the heated wiper option on? i have a safelite glass for two years now w/ no problem. (knocks on wood)

the installer told me he sees tons of subarus w/ the same issue and he thinks its cause of the wiper heater. i stopped using it cause its pretty useless anyhow.

just an fyi from being in the car business some years back a small nick can turn into a crack quickly cause of heat and cold expansion. seen it happen more times than i care to mention.

Lucas, no I had not used the heated wiper. I do remember a rock hitting my windshield, but from inspection this morning I'm failing to see how this one caused my windshield to crack......and this is not the first time I've had to replace one.!

I'm not picking a fight. I'm just trying to figure this out.

It's like if I just got new tires put on and I ran over a nail. Yeah it sucks, but thats life.

yeah, that's life, but when you run over a nail with new tires it doesn't mean you have to replace your tires now does it? fingers crossed...they might be able to mend the windshield without replacing it....so says the guy from safelite I spoke to this morning.

same happened to my oem unit, c -- the pebble was the size of a split pea, and barely did a skiff. by lunchtime it was pillar to pillar crack.

fwiw, my safelite replacement glass has been good since. wish you luck, hope they fix you up properly.

I had a rock chip my factory windshield and the replacement was another OEM Carlex window.

I got a very small nick in it, and I mean small. Less than the size of a pinhead. Turned into a 12" long crack.

I guess there's enough stress around the edge of the window that tiny chips like that can be a problem.

Speaking of which, I took another rock hit the other day on the highway so I should see if it too left another chip.

C-lo did you pay for the windshield or your insurance company?

I purchased a windshield from Safelite in Colorado, through many miles of mountain/snow driving I had to have 3 replaced in a little over a year, one of them was just like the experience your having now although I couldn't find any nick. I came out to my car in the driveway where I left it the night before and boom crack all the way through in the shape of an oblong U. My guess typical colorado weather of snowing/freezing one day and night and then 70 degrees the next morning with sun beating down on the wind shield to cause expansion to quick.

The only reason I am posting is every time I had my windshield replaced they told me my windshield was warrantied for the life of my car as long as I owned it, so I never paid a dime. Maybe this is just for Colorado, but I was under the impression that all of their windshields were warrantied for life?

everyone I have spoke to stated it would be replaced under warranty only if there were no signs of impact.

guess I'm not surprised. no warranty. guy was pretty nice...but he stated there was impact, and it could not be warrantied.

oh well.

I'm going to wait until spring to replace it.

Where exactly did it crack when you used the heaters?

I've never had a problem with the heaters.

mine cracked right where the element connects to the windshield in the center/right.

even the glass installer said he see alot of legacy crack in the same spot. he thinks it overheats and creates a hotspot.

honestly i dunno, maybe hes right maybe not.

im not taking a chance again, so far so good 2 yrs and my glass is still good.

its useless anyhow imho

safelight is a good company. actually I like their windshield better because you can barely see the elements in the windshield. cleaner look. I had not heard of windshields cracking there before though...

• 2 weeks later...
This happened to me also. I had a rock kick up and put a nice 1in spider crack in my windshield, Safelite fixed it and about 2 months later it went from 1in to about 3 to 4in. Lucky I have a Safelite repair center near by and they warrantied without a problem and it was only about 250$ to get a new windshield. Anyway I think as long as the crack they fix...or try to fix gets bigger i think its covered without issue .... at least from what I understand and from what the Sales person and Repair person both said.

Archived