LegacyGT.com

SAAB and Subaru linked??

what

It seems to me like SAAB and Subaru's are looking more and more like eachother every year. And I know one of the SAAB's is a Subaru.. does anybody have any information that maybe i have missed somewhere about whether they are linked at all??

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-2X

The Saab 9-2X is a Saab-branded automobile assembled in Japan at the Ota-Gunma plant by Fuji Heavy Industries and based on the Subaru Impreza, but with a modified body, suspension, and interior. Because of this the 9-2X earned the nickname "Saabaru" before it was released. A smaller car based on the next generation Opel Astra named Saab 9-1 will come in 2009.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

From a press release a year and a half ago...

Toyota Motor will buy an 8.7 percent position in Fuji Heavy Industries, parent company of Subaru, from General Motors. GM, which currently owns 20 percent of Fuji, will sell its remaining 11.4 percent stake into a Fuji open-market share buy-back program, completely liquidating its position in Fuji by the end of the week.

The Toyota part of the deal is worth $309 million to GM. The value of the Fuji share buy-back will be depend on the open market value of the shares.

The deal allowed GM to restate its second quarter financials to show a $700 million to $800 million reduction in the carrying costs of its Fuji Heavy position.

All Saab-Subaru joint developments will be dropped, except for ongoing supply for Saab's 9-2x.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

SubieDriver, that should be Subayota or something like it right? I am sure we put Subaru first of the two brands :D

You're absolutely right! Subaru must come first. Subayota it is.

So, if we did that for the now-defunct SAAB venture, would it be Subasaab? Or Subaab? Subaabru? (considering those last two, maybe the horn should have bleated like a sheep! Su-baaa-bru)

what everyone else said, but i do remember there was plans for a the new sabb 9-3 i think to be based of the legacy chassis with a sabb front and rear end. prod dead now though.

It was the 9-5 and also the 9-7x that were to be based on Suby platforms. The current 9-7x (trailblazer) was supposed to hold people over until a tribeca based model could be produced. sucks for saab...the suby platforms could have really made a difference, now theyre a lame duck brand.

but maybe a new breed of Toyobaru will materialize in the future?

Now that they will be made in the same plant, how long until they have a Subaru version of the Camry? Wouldn't be that bad of an idea for those looking for something with more room than a Legacy.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-2X

The Saab 9-2X is a Saab-branded automobile assembled in Japan at the Ota-Gunma plant by Fuji Heavy Industries and based on the Subaru Impreza, but with a modified body, suspension, and interior. Because of this the 9-2X earned the nickname "Saabaru" before it was released. A smaller car based on the next generation Opel Astra named Saab 9-1 will come in 2009.

Interesting write up.

Remember that family who made the wrong turn in Oregon around Xmas time where they burned the tires and the guy fell in a creek but the mom and kids where fine? I thought that it might be a Subaru but then heard news reports saying the car was a Saab. Then I wondered what type of AWD system it had. Now I'm wondering what OEM tires as well.

Now that they will be made in the same plant, how long until they have a Subaru version of the Camry? Wouldn't be that bad of an idea for those looking for something with more room than a Legacy.

I didn't think the Camry was any bigger than the Legacy. The Avalon on the other hand....

I don't see them sharing a platform for their mainstream offerings. I know they're sharing hybrid tech, but they'll probably share a small-car platform, since profit margins are slimmer on those.

I didn't think the Camry was any bigger than the Legacy. The Avalon on the other hand....

I don't see them sharing a platform for their mainstream offerings. I know they're sharing hybrid tech, but they'll probably share a small-car platform, since profit margins are slimmer on those.

Camry is a little bigger, I was thinking it would save development costs to share a platform. The Avalon would be better if they need a larger car, just don't cripple the thing with the NA 2.5L.

Subaru could use small & cheaper (<15K) car below the Impreza. But I doubt they'd do that here since they are trying to move upscale. Maybe we'll see an Improlla or Coroleza in a few years.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Interesting write up.

Remember that family who made the wrong turn in Oregon around Xmas time where they burned the tires and the guy fell in a creek but the mom and kids where fine? I thought that it might be a Subaru but then heard news reports saying the car was a Saab. Then I wondered what type of AWD system it had. Now I'm wondering what OEM tires as well.

as sad as that was...and it really was tragic, I can't imagine making that mistake. Most people would have clued in right away to the fact that there are no gates on roads or highways on the west coast and driving past a gate would tell you that this was probably not the correct road to travel on.

Gate = BLM or Gate = Forrest Service or Gate = Private Land

anyway, bummed for that guy and his family for sure.

That relationship has been over for a while now. Don't worry, the Saabs will start looking more and more like Chevys in the future. The 97X already does, but nicer and in a good way (I own one of those too).

This site might answer some questions you have about the differences/similarities to the Impreza Wagon http://www.saab92x.com You might find it interesting.

If you knew what most of us paid for our 92X Aeros (WRX Wagon) your jaws would hit the floor. OK here it is... http://www.fatwallet.com/t/24/463298

Mine is a 2005, got it last summer. It's the loaded Aero ("Premium") with leather, etc. I paid just over $21K. The guys that went with no leather and stock 17" wheels paid in the 19-20 range. They were giving these things away last year. The 2006 Aeros were going in the 23-24K range. They also have a 4 year warranty and 2 years free service. Not that the Saab techs know how to work on them.

Even the 2.0L is plenty fast as light as they are. An AP does wonders, just like for any other Subie. It's a sleeper.

Mine is a 2005, got it last summer. It's the loaded Aero ("Premium") with leather, etc. I paid just over $21K. The guys that went with no leather and stock 17" wheels paid in the 19-20 range.

Mine has zero options... $19,425. At the time, the Subaru dealership wouldn't give me a used '04 WRX for that price. :icon_bigg

Maybe we'll see an Improlla or Coroleza in a few years.

Yep, I'm gonna take my 2009 Coroleza, lower & tint it, add a little neon, a boomin' stereo, a monster wing, and a whole bunch of STI stickers. It'll be my... drumroll, please... "Coroleza Rice". Maybe I'll name it the "Secretary of Street". :lol:

Yep, I'm gonna take my 2009 Coroleza, lower & tint it, add a little neon, a boomin' stereo, a monster wing, and a whole bunch of STI stickers. It'll be my... drumroll, please... "Coroleza Rice". Maybe I'll name it the "Secretary of Street". :lol:

Very witty. I like it. I think we'll let this guy stick around a while.

The camry is way to popular to have to change it. Toyota knows how to make cars for the masses, I doubt they need help doing that.

However, if they want a sporty car...a subaru platform would be a good place to start.

The two production lines in lafayette are being kept completely seperate. More likely than a toyota/subaru cross breed is that the Toyota Manufacturing System will be implement on the Subaru side, driving down costs and improving quality. Legacys will benefit from this relationship.

i hate to be the one to point this out, but the new avalon and camry interiors are 10x WORSE than subaru's. i work for toyota, and inside these 2 cars is a nightmare of thin plastic and folding doors that dont work properly. the door panels are getting much worse too. toyota doors used to have between 8 and 12 screws and 8 snap-pins holding the inner door panels on, now they're down to between 3 and 6. just for laughs, go "test drive" a camry one evening, turn on hte headlights and laugh you ass off when you see how pathetically lit the road in front of you is, and how damn annoying the "plasmacluster" display is in the dark, its not adjustable, so the whole time you have the massive radio/HVAC(sounds familiar, but they ARE seperate) unit glowing, lighting up the whole interior.

the avalon still has a NAV. option, but like the last car, it seems "added in", the screen is up high and behind a protective cover, then the controls are down where the base-models hide the tape-player, in a fold out bin where our ash trays are. guess what...they stop folding over a short time :)

toyota USED TO HAVE decent fit & Finish..never anythign that great looking, but not overly crowded or confusing, jsut simple and easy for everyone..which is what the car was designed to be like.

i've had my GT in the shop and left all the windows open and car unlocked as i worked in the next bay, half the salesman were stunned by the interior of hte LGT, so "upscale" looking compared to what toyota offers. most even complemented on the exterior being much nicer overall than the new edgy look toyota's going for.

toyota has one thing on their mind, and one thing only. HYBRID'S. all the cars are being designed to accept a hybrid drivetrain. the only one currently not capable is the Sienna, which will be due for a re-design in 2009, so all should be ready by 2010.

/toyota technobabble off

Archived