LegacyGT.com

How to run simple DVD on your NAV!

t-type86

Hey guys,

By recent demand through replies in other posts along with several private messages I will give a quick how-to on running a DVD player on your OEM Navigation Unit.

I would rate this project a 2.5 on the "hard to do scale" out of 10 only because pulling the trim was a little unnerving...

1. Park the car in an area of good light....

2. Pop the trim bezel that surrounds the NAV screen and center a/c vents.... This took a little more effort than I thought it would and managed to do it using a couple of guitar picks :lol: ...... I grabbed about 6 and wedged them all around the trim in between the dash and itself.. I did about 4 on the top side and 2 on the bottom corners... I then pushed down on the picks causing the trim to begin to pop out... I continued around the trim with ease till it came loose... The trim is removed with the vents as well and should be pulled directly towards the back of the car...

3. I removed two black phillips head screws that secure the nav into place.. these can be easily found to the right and left of the unit and can also be identified by the black plastic "nubs" that poke through... you can check them out on a picture later in the thread.

4. Gentle pull on the Nav unit from the back on both the right and left side.. it has to plastic pins that hold it into the rear of the dash.. THEY WILL NOT BREAK WHEN YOU PULL ON IT.. so dont worry too much...

5. After the pins become loose be careful not to pull too hard as there is some wiring that needs to be disconnected.... Do this by facing the NAV screen to the ceiling and removing the 2 wiring harnesses and the other big wire.. all three items have releases on them and they will not just pull right out...

6. Now that the screen is free to inspect.. turn it around and find the YELLOW video input.. similar to that of a TV,VCR,or DVD player...

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19523&thumb=0&d=1149818735

7. I ran a video wire from the screen cubby straight down and snaked it out the side of the stereo on the passanger side floor... this is after I tested that the video would play from my portable DVD player onto my screen... which it does flawlessly after pushing the INFO button on the NAV controlls 2 times and having the e-brake up...

8. I then ran the wire along the floor and pushed it under the center console so it cant be seen poking out unless your looking between the passanger seat and the center console..

9. While I had everything apart I decided it would be best to make it perminant and grounded out the e-brake switch so that video can be shown to "passengers" while the car is in motion... this is done by cutting the greyish blueish wire on the larger wire harness and grounding it to the car from the harness... I grounded mine to a good screw inside the cubby of the NAV..

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19526&d=1149818735

10. Last but not least I ran the audio wire which is conventiently placed in the center console along with a power supply under the passanger side seat and hooked all my wires up... to my DVD player...

11. Put everything back together... turned car on... turned DVD player on (which I leave on always).. popped in my fav DVD.. tucked everything under the pass. seat.. hit the INFO button twice... turned stereo onto AUX... and enjoyed the show...

As of right now I need to figure out the best way to leave the player under the seat but still be in range of the remote so that I can FF Stop RW or change scenes and such from the drivers seat... as of right now it is wedged in between the floor and the seat and stays fine unless someone moves the seat back or forward which causes it to full all the way under the seat....

Here are picks of the finished product... whover decides to go ahead and do this little project should post more pics of the cubby hole and such

http://rides.webshots.com/album/557032206GRmegD

Well this was my first "HOW-TO" and I hope it helps...

Ask questions if needed...

Joe

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7. I ran a video wire from the screen cubby straight down and snaked it out the side of the stereo on the passanger side floor... this is after I tested that the video would play from my portable DVD player onto my screen... which it does flawlessly after pushing the INFO button on the NAV controlls 2 times and having the e-brake up...

Joe

I got to this part and pressing INFO twice did not display the video from my portable DVD player, it went from map to INFO and then back to map again, am i doing something wrong?

Ed

9. While I had everything apart I decided it would be best to make it perminant and grounded out the e-brake switch so that video can be shown to "passengers" while the car is in motion... this is done by cutting the greyish blueish wire on the larger wire harness and grounding it to the car from the harness... I grounded mine to a good screw inside the cubby of the NAV..

Joe

Ok another question, i cut the greyish wire and in your picture there is a short end connected to the plug and the longer end thats part of the harness, am i supposed to ground the short or long end?

Ed

Ok another question, i cut the greyish wire and in your picture there is a short end connected to the plug and the longer end thats part of the harness, am i supposed to ground the short or long end?

Ed

Ground the wire on the harness.... its the NAV unit (screen) that needs to be told the "e-brake" is up

;953840']Can't be STICKY without copious sharp detailed pictures. :lol:

Well I suppose whoever decides to use my write up for their install should do the board a favor by adding more pictures to the post.... :icon_wink

Does grounding the grey wire disable any of the navigation's other features? Or is it only for the video input?

And this is probably a simple question but I need to make sure, since this was all done on a 07 spec b, this should be able to be done the same way with an 06 navi and the jazzy aux-in mod to the radio right?

Ground the wire on the harness.... its the NAV unit (screen) that needs to be told the "e-brake" is up

wait, im still confused, so when you say 'ground the wire on the harness = long wire, not the short wire thats coming from the plug, correct?

if i do that, then how does the nav unit know the e brake is up if no signal is going to it because of the cut wire.

or are you called 'wire on the harness' as the short wire coming from the plug?

and how did you ground the wire, did you just strip it and wrap it around a screw in the cubby and secure it down, because thats what i did, and in addition to the video IN not working, but the car thinks the ebrake is constantly UP even when im driving.

Ed

Ground the wire attached to the harness plug side... that way the screen thinks your e brake is constantly on.

Take a look at this Picture(there is a wire cut in half one side is stripped, thats the side you ground to the vehicle.)

Ground the wire attached to the harness plug side... that way the screen thinks your e brake is constantly on.

Take a look at this Picture(there is a wire cut in half one side is stripped, thats the side you ground to the vehicle.)

Thank you, then do i simply leave the other cut end bare?

Ed

Ok thanks, yeah i just grounded the wrong end of the gray wire, so i cracked everything open again, fixed it and voila!

http://img277.imageshack.us/img277/5784/navihackys4.jpg

A little Top Gear for ya :D

thanks to the OP for the extra help, this is a very simple mod/hack indeed.

Ed

So you can watch movies while you drive? :lol:

ummm yeah... NAV is great for long trips and dvds are good for keeping the boardness levels down.... plus cruising around with the woman has become easier because there is less fighting over music :icon_cool

Archived