LegacyGT.com

rubber molding / rear window

I have an issue that I would like your comments on.

Let me paint you a picture:

On a wagon, open the rear passenger side door, like if you were about to get in. On the left side of the opening is the rubber molding where the glass will lay on and it also touches the rear trunk window. if you closed the door, it would be - rear trunk big window, rubber molding, door window.

Q1: with the door open, can you use your thumb and easily pull away the rubber molding from the rear trunk window? on mine, i can begin to seperate them with some slight effort. bad?

next item on the list is that I never noticed but my passenger side rear trunk big window, the edge that sits next to the passenger rear door window is not cut exactly straight. because of this, the factory black tint along the edge that's exposed is starting to peel away.

Q2: it's not leaking or anything, should i take it to the dealer and see if they'll replace the entire glass and the molding?

also, regarding molding where the door windows rest on .. when are they suppose to show signs of cracking and wearing down? on my driver side door. if the door was closed, the upper right corner, the rubber has all these little cracks on the curve. normal? yes/no?

I'll try to post some pictures to give you all a better idea.

i can't exactly picture what you're talking about but i've got a problem in the same area. for me it is the molding on the rear passenger door itself at the base of the window (in particular the part that extends towards the rear past the door window). mine came folded over from the factory so the molding does not sit flat against the rear window when the door is closed. this trim piece will be replaced by the dealer when the part arrives.

the other issue is that the same part on the driver's side was installed incorrectly (albeit off only by a few millimeters) such that it looks like hell in my side mirror. i think this can be fixed.

as for your other concerns i'll take a look at my wagon.

pictures .. yaaaay. =(

left pic:

the reflective highlights you see is actually the black edge tint peeling away. the crack is probably 4" long

right pic:

easy to "pull" the molding away with just 1 finger =(. just as a reference, that highlight just to the "11 oclock" of my finger is the point where the rock hit the edge.

PS - new rear quarter window assembly = $250. includes window, molding, 2 window fasteners and 1 decal.

smDSCN1993.jpg.33083d07f4811af28411609b15507add.jpg

smDSCN1989.jpg.ccb4eeaecafad51c3ed04c1d23f9c88b.jpg

Archived