LegacyGT.com

Rough when cold

Omen

I did a search on this and it was of some help but I can't understand why the Legacy feels so rough when it is cold. This morning I started it up and I thought well I'll just give it a few blips from the throttle to get it warming up a little faster (I have never done that before. I usually just let it idle and then just baby it for the first few miles) and when I reved it:eek: damn it sounded like it was going to break (a little exaggerated but not by much LOL). So I just drove off and babied it for a few miles till it warmed up.

Is this really normal for the Leggy to be so delicate and rough when it is cold? I just really hope nothing is wrong with it. Any thoughts?

While it certainly isn't objectionable, I have noticed that my LGT is a bit on the cold-blooded side for a modern car. Fires right up, but there is the occasion lump in the idle. Actually, since my equal length header install, I've noticed that cold operation is smoother, and in general the idle is smoother. If you are experiencing any worse than a couple lumps in the idle when cold, I'd have the dealer check it out.

I hope you mean just a little rev to smooth out the idle and not a full on rev like you are getting ready for the Daytona 500. Never race a cold engine!

I have used the mini rev (like to 2000RPM) to get my idle to drop but that was usually in an auto and it was REALLY cold.

How cold out was it?

Are these autos or manuals? I'm having an issue with my auto. If I run the car for like 3-4 minutes and come to a stop the idle will drop to about 300rpms. If I then lift my foot off of the brake but give no gas the car will shudder or sometimes stall. It will start right back up no problem. When the car first starts it's not a problem and when the engine is hot it's no problem. Ideas?

I have a manual and it was a very small bump of the pedal not a full rev or nothing. I reved it to like 1.5k or 2k at most and I've only done that a couple times since I bought the car.

I'm going to take it in because from the sound of it my problem does not seem normal. When it is cold (the engine whether hot or cold outside) is rough. When I first engage 1st gear after a cold start I kinda of hear a small grind then its okay. I just have to baby it for the first few miles or it stutters.

Don't know I guess off to the dealer I go. I just try to avoid going cause they always say they don't hear, see, feel the noise or problem and I hate dealing with that.

Yeah that sounds way different from what I have ever experienced in previous vehicles. And when I say it was cold out I mean like single digits and the cars idle was just high in a 'warm up' mode (and it was an old car).

Good luck at the dealer.

Found the problem. Dealer said that it is the fuel pump regulator or something along those lines I will have to look at the paper work again. But they said that the newer Legacys (in terms of production) had a newer valve or regulator put in however the older Legacys with the original valve or regulator could start going bad as they were not as efficient as the newer part. And the symptoms of this faulty regulator are the symptoms I was describing.

The part gets in next week and the problem will be solved at that time...fingers crossed. There's the update! LOL

MIC

The build date info should be listed on the manufacturer sticker located in the drivers side door corner when the door is open (you'll have to bend down... it's under the door latch). Look for a sticker that has your VIN#, place of manufacture (Lafayette, IN), Manufacturer (Fuji), etc... you should find a month/year date... example 07/04 .... this is your car's date of manufacture.

Probably have to ask Subaru of Indiana, Inc... if you want the actual date of manufacture and not just the month/year...

good luck,

J.

I did a search on this and it was of some help but I can't understand why the Legacy feels so rough when it is cold. This morning I started it up and I thought well I'll just give it a few blips from the throttle to get it warming up a little faster (I have never done that before. I usually just let it idle and then just baby it for the first few miles) and when I reved it:eek: damn it sounded like it was going to break (a little exaggerated but not by much LOL). So I just drove off and babied it for a few miles till it warmed up.

Is this really normal for the Leggy to be so delicate and rough when it is cold? I just really hope nothing is wrong with it. Any thoughts?

Would you like to be romped on first thing in the morning when waking up?

I think you have misread my quote cause I never romped on it. I said I simply tapped the gas (1.5k or 2k rpms) which is just a blip of the gas. If you consider that romping then I don't know how you drive.

I do not abuse the car and under normal driving conditions when cold it was not sounding right. And in fact it was this regulator valve which is being fixed. Like I said I always baby it in the morning till it is warm. Problem will now be solved.

Archived