LegacyGT.com

Rotora pads fyi

captainmorgan

Well, swapped my pads out on the Rotoras after being on the car for 30,000 miles. As those with these BBK's know, they use some goofy sized pad for the fronts and rears.

I used these HAWK part numbers.

Front:

HB193F.670 (Brembo F-40, 05+ Jaguar MKR, 05 Dodge Viper)

Rears:

HB180F.560 (Subaru Impreza STi, Mitsubishi Lancer EVO)

I shaved the fronts down from .670" to .591" on an end mill. They fit like a glove. I guess my rotors are a little wore down. I probably could have gone a little thicker on the pads, but oh well.

The rears fit perfect as well, but they could be thicker. It wasn't until after I ordered the pads did I find they made a different one. The correct part number should be HB180F.591. I dont know a corresponding car that these go to, but its a valid number so I'm sure you can order it.

Hope this helps!

I added the thread mostly so it could be searched for later.

Overall, I like the Hawk pads much better than the ones that came with the kit, though with the wniter road conditions, can't really tell, though they grip so much better it cause s the ABS to have fits.

That's very interesting.

I had Rotoras on my WRX and the fronts could only be sourced from them and the rears...I forget, but they were more common.

The JDM/EDM 4 pots on the imprezas were using front pads that also crossed to an F-40/300ZX turbo.

I wonder if now if those pads fit? If so that opens them up to a bunch of choices that weren't available and making their BBK the best bargain out there!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I think that the Rotora is as good a BBK as any out there, and they have an incredible value.

Mine have been through two winters now with no rebuild, and are flawless.

The HAWK pads are cheap too. I think the fronts were $113 and the rears were $79 from Tirerack.

^ +1.

By "shaving them down," I assume you mean that you took off the respective amount of pad surface?

Thanks a bunch, captainmorgan ! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yes, I took 2mm of pad surface off.

I have a machine shop at my work so I just put them in a cnc at work and programmed it to take 2mm off! :p

I think that you can use heavy grit sand paper and a belt sander or disc sander. But be careful! Once the pad gets hot it gets harder and is impossible to machine.

Basically anything that will abraid the surface and that you can keep relatively parallel to the pad backing should work.

I'm also thinking if enough people are interested in a set of pads like this, I might be able to do them myself.

Thanks, bro! :)

I'm not there yet ( still plenty of the good stuff left - I'm low-mileage, and an easy driver, to-boot :o ), but when I do, this information will be most excellent!

Thanks again!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 years later...

I am bringing this thread back from the dead, hehe. I am looking into eventually replacing my Rotora pads i have I believe H2's with the Hawk Pads.

How are these pads holding up on your car? Do you think I can get away with shaving down less than 2mm?

I have a 4 pot front Rotora BBK

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So I've had my Rotora set on the car now for a couple years. I check them every spring, pull them off the car, put the pads, check for damage rubbing etc. I havent had to rebuild them, but I think that this spring I will finally do that. I havent had any problems with the,

Except one, but its my fault.

So I decided not to buy the Rotora replacement pads, and instead bought a set of HAWK HPS HB193F.670 and HB180F.591. The rears work perfect, no issues with them, but the fronts were too thick, so I put them on an end mill and turned them down to .590" thickness, basically burning half their life from them. They work fine, but milling them down a bit changed the surface of the pads and it took a while to get the glaze off. Another issue is that the HAWK pads had a bit of flash on the pad backing, and occasionally the pad would get stuck in the caliper, locked to the rotor, and heat up. Its fine if you're only out an about around town. But mine did this while I was driving I-70 through the continental divide. Not a time when you want to lose your brakes. I let them cool down and wedges the pad bake in place and they worked fine. Not damage other than some color change to the caliper and a little warpage to the rotors, maybe just buildup.

All in all, if I had to do it again, I would NOT buy these calipers as they do not offer much improvement over stock, unless you have a track dedicated car, and even then, you might want to look at a higher end, nicer set, or even a set of Brembo take-offs.

• 7 months later...

Archived