LegacyGT.com

Rota Grid 18x9.5 w/ 255/35/18

Xplosivo1

I scored a set of Rota Grid wheels 18x9.5 e38 with 255/35R18 tires. Can you all tell me what will be necessary to make them fit? I know the rims will fit, as they are on a car in this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rota-grid-18x9-5-38-06-lgt-104821.html

And according to the super sticky, a 255 will fit without rolling, but it doesn't specify at what rim width:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-4426.html

I am currently on stock spec b suspension, but have epic springs and plan on a Koni install. I'm just a little confused because I see some saying it is required to run coilovers and have your fenders pulled and rolled and others saying none of it's necessary. Is anyone else running this setup? Can you give me an idea if it will work? I don't want to run stretched tires like in the first thread...don't really like the look.

Thanks!

just a couple threads down: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wheel-and-tire-combo-222937.html

if you don't want to do work, then get the 7/7.5/8.5 inch wide wheels with ET45+ and tires that's less than 235 in width.

you don't NEED coilovers, you don't NEED to roll your fenders

but combination of them might be necessary to avoid rubbing

coilover reduces the suspension travel, while rolling fender gives more clearance for tires

Thanks for all the info. I had actually read the referenced thread earlier, but I guess I read a little too quickly because I didn't realize it was the same tire size. Here is a follow on question, if I do get coil-overs and rolled fenders would it be possible to run a wider tire, say 265? The super sticky lists the following:

265/35/18 (very good daily driving use, but the car wont be able to use all 265mm of tread for the track)

275/30/18 (tallest tire you can mount without fender clearing issues on a 2" lowered car if you get the right offset)

285/30/18 (aka, the "STREETS OF DREAM" setup... the widest you can go.

I assume it's also necessary to get the aftermarket adjustable camber bolts to make sure everything can be dialed in properly?

Thanks again!

why do you need the width again?

sure it'll work, but the amount of camber necessary negates the point of having a wide tire

Truthfully, I don't need it. I just want to protect the rims, my thinking is that if I get a wider tire it will help prevent curb rash. I was looking for chrome rims that I liked and found the Rotas for a decent price. Now that I have them it's a matter of keeping them nice. I've never raced the car, but i'm one of those people that would rather have and never need than need and not have.

Think again, how many stock/skinny wheels with curb rash do you see?

not gonna make a difference if you don't care about the wheels

I'll take your word for it, mine definitely don't look that great. I assure you it has nothing to do with not caring. I already have the rims, in your professional opinion, what size tire would be best on the 9.5 rim? Also, you've been more than generous with your knowledge do you sell tires?

i run those wheels, on 235/40r18 streched. 2.5degrees of camber and low on kw coil overs

a 265 would be about flush with it, but you won't be very low on 265s without a lot of work

i run those wheels, on 235/40r18 streched. 2.5degrees of camber and low on kw coil overs

a 265 would be about flush with it, but you won't be very low on 265s without a lot of work

When you say low, do you mean a dropped car?

I'm currently on stock spec b suspension. I have Epic springs and plan on running Konis with that setup. I know with the spec b suspension the front rides a little higher than normal, but I don't think the Epics will drop it too much to worry. I was talking to M.Sprank and he said as long as I can find a good body shop to roll and pull the fenders 255 would be ok. 265 and it might run into problems.

I'll report back here if I ever get things figured out...

I have some run to spare with fully rolled and slightly pulled fenders, 255s would be really tight, but would look awesome. Are you going for the streched out stance look, or just want a fat setup?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l35/bgraysierra/Ras%20Whip/IMG-20120311-00145.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l35/bgraysierra/Ras%20Whip/raS032.jpg

That looks good! Are those the hyper blacks? My idea when I started looking was to get as much track on the ground as I could with minimal modification. But, with what I'm finding out I may just go for looks. I talked to the best body shop in my little city and they told me to take it somewhere else for the rolling and pulling. If I can find a good shop that can do it, I still want to run the 265. Call me crazy...

265s, Will be extremel;y stuffed. Front bumper tabs will have to be removed, and so will the plastic inner fender. You'll have to pull the fenders pretty good, changing the body lines of the car fyi

I've decided it's not worth the risk/effort to run the 265s or 255s. I am going to look at a 245/40/18 and see what I come up with. If I can't get this combo working with little effort, I'll sell the wheels and get an 18X8.0. Opinions and advice is always welcome...

Ride height and camber play a big role along with rolling the fenders. I'm fitting 255/40/R18's with zero rolling up front (didn't touch anything) and a roll with no pull in the rear. 18x8.5 et43. It is possible. Next time I'm going 265, I refuse to pull the fenders.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back with more questions! I've got the fender flares and its time for some new rubber. After doing some searching and comparing i'm left with some questions I'm hoping can be answered. My current stock spec b. wheel/tire combo is 215/45. I've listed some measurements below with some tires i'd like to put on.

215/45 = 651mm x 215mm sidewall height = 96.75mm (stock size)

275/35 = 649mm x 275mm sidewall height = 96.25mm

285/35 = 657mm x 285mm sidewall height = 99.75mm

The roads where I live are absolute crap, which is partly why i've chosen those sizes. The 275/35 is almost identical to the stock sizing other than width. The 285/35 is only 8mm taller than the stock size. My question is, why would these tires be considered too tall for the car?

They are close to what the car has on now other than the difference in width. In the super sticky it says that 275/35 is the tallest you can fit on a car lowered 2 inches. If I go with coil-overs, does the car automatically drop 2 inches? What options are there to maintain the height so I can run the 285/35? Anyone know?

1287324432_TireComparison.thumb.jpg.9dc62f90e095cc84760852fc5b030465.jpg

good luck fitting 275s or 285s...lol

if the roads are so bad, drop it down to 17" wheels

I know it's been done, the question is whether I'm willing to put out the money for what it takes. These un-researched, compulsive purchases are really starting to take a toll. I really wish I would have just bought some smaller rims to being with. I'll still try and make it work, if nothing more than to educate myself and other members that might want to try.

Archived