LegacyGT.com

Roof lining sag in the back?

I noticed today that the roof lining does not seem to be connected to the roof in the very back by anything that I can detect. In fact, it seems like it is a bit "sagged" in the middle on our Legacy...

I can easy put a finger between the roof lining and the roof from the direction of the rear glass? :confused:

If I push it up and down like so, it all actually goes up and down, by about 1/2 inch or so:

WP_000315.jpg?psid=1

This does not look right to me; has anyone else seen this? Is the roof lining attached on your cars or it is just sitting there?

I noticed today that the roof lining does not seem to be connected to the roof in the very back by anything that I can detect. In fact, it seems like it is a bit "sagged" in the middle on our Legacy...

I can easy put a finger between the roof lining and the roof from the direction of the rear glass? :confused:

If I push it up and down like so, it all actually goes up and down, by about 1/2 inch or so:

WP_000315.jpg?psid=1

This does not look right to me; has anyone else seen this? Is the roof lining attached on your cars or it is just sitting there?

Same exact thing on my Legacy...very strange.

Nick

Yup... me too. I called the dealer and asked about it. They've already replaced a few headliners.. no EZ fix. Mine is on order and will be replaced under warranty.

The rear of the headliner flops a little when I have the windows down.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Yup... me too. I called the dealer and asked about it. They've already replaced a few headliners.. no EZ fix. Mine is on order and will be replaced under warranty.

The rear of the headliner flops a little when I have the windows down.

Yeah that right there is the picture that I had when I first discovered it. Every so often you see an oder car with the rear of the headliner flopping 'cuz the windows are open.

Mkay... I'll put it on the list when I eventually make it to the dealership.

This something that many Subaru owners experience and they need to get a TSB on. There are a couple imbedded pins that anchor it to the roof. The pins come loose from the headliner. Problem is they are hidden. The wifes Mazda 6 has the pins color matched to the headliner and exposed. They just anchor through the headliner like the other gazillion pins on our cars. The repair kit would probably cost $3.00 instead of replacing the whole headliner if they got a team on this.

There is another headliner thread showing the shop manual diagram in here some place.

Here is the thread with the exploded diagram.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/interior-roof-liner-aka-head-liner-coming-down-again-190924.html?t=190924&highlight=headliner

I just picked up my car for the second headliner installation. That makes three for this car which includes the factory installed original. Sadly, they creased the passenger door and had to send it to the body shop (again). Car has been damaged three times by dealer. Twice for headliner installations. We are now in the discussion stages for a new car. They brought it up so I'm on board.

Point is, the headliner needs a TSB/recall with something that is a permanent fix.

What good is it to install shit headliners and perform body work every time it's at the dealer? Madness!!

Guest superscoob

We had our headliner replaced for this problem a few months after we purchased our 2010. About a year later I noticed it had dropped again. I decided it wasn't worth dealing with the dealer hassle again so I bought some Liquid Nails Perfect Glue at Home Depot.

I folded down the rear seats, put a small amount at a couple places between the liner and roof and used adjustable walking sticks with their base on the seat backs of the folded rear seats and with cardboard between the stick and headliner to wedge the liner up. It dried over night. That has been over a year ago and it still is perfect. I wish I'd never have pulled the original headliner out.

Every time they pull my car apart at a dealership, I just cringe. The mechanics are often good, but it's not like the factory where they install brand new parts using the proper tools with proper torque specs and in the proper order. Even a good mechanic can break or damage the cheap plastic parts when pulling them apart and putting them back together. Then you have more parts falling off and rattling around. :spin:

Have the same problem with mine. I pulled it down a little further, looks like the epoxy they used didn't hold very well. Taking it to the dealer next week to get the steering wheel volume issue resolved and will ask them to fix this too. If I wasn't already taking it to the dealer, I would think the Liquid Nails or double sided foam tape would work.

• 11 months later...

Almost a year since the last post on this thread:

I had my roof liner replaced 4 months after I bought it in 2010.

A year later it dropped.

They mended it with glue in the summer of 2011.

A year later it dropped.

They mended it again in the summer of 2012.

A year later it dropped.

Now my warranty is expired and it's hanging down. My guess is that the heat makes the glue come unstuck since it always happens in the middle of summer.

This is just really shitty on Subaru's part.

Try sticking your hand under the cushion of the rear seats. :lol:

I had a cop thinking i was storing drugs down there because of how easily he could slide his hand under.

Just more examples of how Subaru saves us money. :rolleyes:

When I bought mine in 2010, the sales lady said that the cigarette lighter and ash tray were an option. I asked why that wasn't a standard item anymore and she said because it would have added $30 to the price of the car and the list would have been over $20k for the base.

The head liner in my 20012 was sagging the day I oulled it off the lot. I had it replaced under warranty and it is beginning to sag agian. I may try to find my own solution before it drops too much. The Vegas heat is not helping. All in all I am happy with the car though.

Try sticking your hand under the cushion of the rear seats. :lol:

I had a cop thinking i was storing drugs down there because of how easily he could slide his hand under.

Just more examples of how Subaru saves us money. :rolleyes:

What beyond the seat would cause a cop to think you have guns there? You profiling?

• 3 years later...

I have a 2010 legacy 2.5i and have the same issue, in 2011 I had them repair it but a year later the same sagging started again, I went to the dealer today but my warranty expired, so to fix it it will cost me $600 basically $300 for the part and about $290 for labor...annoying.

There should be an official recall by Subaru on this matter.

I have a 2010 legacy 2.5i and have the same issue, in 2011 I had them repair it but a year later the same sagging started again, I went to the dealer today but my warranty expired, so to fix it it will cost me $600 basically $300 for the part and about $290 for labor...annoying.

There should be an official recall by Subaru on this matter.

Call SOA and see if they will help you out on the part cost. You really should have taken care of it back in 2012 when it started sagging again after the first repair.

Call SOA and see if they will help you out on the part cost. You really should have taken care of it back in 2012 when it started sagging again after the first repair.

I should have indeed, just it wasn't as much, but it became bigger since every year in the summer.

I did just what you suggested, hopefully they can work something out, I'll know at the latest by Wednesday.

They called me yesterday and they said they will replace the whole liner and get it Installed and the whole thing would cost me $100 instead of $600+.

Got lucky this time. Hopefully they use good glue to attach it, I'll ask them to make sure they use something that will stick and not come off.

That's a deal! I had mine replaced last month due to Safelight damaging it during a windshield replacement. My dealer charged about $1200! I think they had to remove a front seat to get it in the car.

My understanding is that the headliner fabric is adhered to the backing and the backing has clips that attach to the roof.

I also had it replaced previously under the b2b warranty due to sagging above the rear window; dealer reported that was caused by broken clips.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, they got the part in, took it yesterday morning, gave me my car 6 hours later.

They did leave messy hands prints on the passenger side visor, but I was able to clean it with a wet towel.

Overall everything seem to be sturdy. Hopefully it lasts.

When I toured the factory, I saw that the factory installs the headliner through the front windshield opening.(before the windshield gets installed) They have a guy on the outside feeding it to a guy on the inside of the car, who puts it in place.

I'll bet this is tricky trying to get it in through the door....

Update, after further checking the right side of the headliner has a small gap compared to the right and center side so it's not sittingf flush, I'm concerned because that small gap can slowly become bigger and start sagging further, took the car in on Saturday to have the guys look at it, they said they couldn't until Monday so they can look at it then again.

I need to make sure they properly get everything fixed because I don't want to cough up anymore repair for this headliner. I hope they don't just put glue in it to fix it.

Archived