LegacyGT.com

Rod knock or Piston slap

My ej has started to make some new noise other than the normal valve train noise. I hope it's piston slap but gear it may be rod knock.

Here's a video please tell me what you thinkhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59da350737ac7/VID_20171006_181949249~3.mp4

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I've already started a turbo motor build with forged internals. 2.5 block with 2.0 heads and some bc 272 cams so I'm really not worried about damage to the 251 that's in it. I'm just worried about being stranded 50 miles from home..

I do burn oil. How fast I burn it depends on how often I rev out the motor.

Compression was tested about 20k ago and all cylinders were around 185psi. I need to get ahold of a compression tester to check it again.

It's definitely not the tbelt tensioner. I used a mechanics stethoscope aka a really long pry bar to locate the noise and it's in the cylinder 2 area

I'm just going to assume that it's piston slap and continue to enjoy the car until winter hits

Definitely piston slap. Nothing you can do to stop it and it's not going to hurt anything. NA Subaru motors are notorious for it. With it being that soft of a slap, it's within spec of what would be considered "normal". Mine does it on cold mornings around when my oil is due to be changed. It's my oil life monitor for my older car :lol: . It's dependent on the viscosity of the oil you're using. Bump it up 5 weight and it'll probably go away.

Word to the wise, forged internals are far more susceptible to piston slap as they tend to expand at a different rate, so make sure your bore clearances are adequate enough.

piston slap goes away as the engine warms up/RPMS increase if you are hearing it under load at a constant speed, it is most likely another issue. My 2003 was loud enough that people thought it was a diesel... car drove just fine

Rod Knock couldl toast an engine in 1 Miles or 1000's of miles. I drive one for SEVERAL THOUSAND MILES (was poor had no choice) before I replaced it.

Well I figured I would update this thread for anyone in the future with a similar sound.

The motor went pop on my way to school today. It was rather sudden too. I was driving normally and then felt the engine kind of fall on it's face for a second then start making some horrible noises.

I pulled over pooped the hood to confirm my suspicion. It was definitely now rod nock and I think that it threw the rod completely.

I made it about 1.5 miles towards a local shop before I stalled in the middle of an intersection and was unable to get the car to start again. With the help of the guy behind me we pushed the car out of the intersection and I had a friend come help me Daisy chain it to the local shop.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59e8bd3bb8330/Snapchat-1114565985.mp4http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59e8bd340afbe/Snapchat-1080290809.mp4IMG_20171019_095010224.thumb.jpg.21e884a58d16161f1eec0bf2f7dc7eae.jpga0b4d6bfc4eaac6cc7d728e58903188e.jpg

Snapchat-313929549.thumb.jpg.da205edb134505ee0270a3dfc5b00fcb.jpg

Sorry to hear about your car. I understand if you feel like it let you down. But you didn't have to do that to it!

:ohhh::icon_eek:

Thanks for pointing that out lol. I'm not even going to edit the post because I think it's hilarious

well now those videos sound like rod knock lol. was there oil in it?
There was when I checked it Monday. The dipstick read a little bit low but I didn't worry about it because I was planning on changing the oil tomorrow but then it died so I guess there's no need to do that anymore lol

Archived