LegacyGT.com

Rockblocker bra install - anyone had fit problems?

nomoreS4

Had my installer do the Rockblocker bra installation today. No issues with the mirrors, scoop, or hood. But they said the alignment of the bumper pieces were off by quite a bit...so much that it felt as if the kit was for a completely different bumper. I spoke with Rockblocker (Chad); who was responsive, but couldn't really assess what the problem could be. It was suggested that my installer lacked experience. Either that, or there is a profound difference between USDM and Canadian bumper....there isn't AFAIK. Spoke with my installer...they've installed 100's of clear bras, many much more complicated than my kit. They will have to cut here and there to make it fit (arggh!). WTF? Curious to hear from anyone about their Rockblocker install, esp. anyone from Canada.

What part of the bumper did you have the problem? I have the bumper kit on my USDM 2.5i wagon and the edges to need to be pulled pretty far over towards the light. The edge of the clear bra needs to stretch quite far in order for the foglight holes to line up with the pattern.

[quote name='Edvig']What part of the bumper did you have the problem? I have the bumper kit on my USDM 2.5i wagon and the edges to need to be pulled pretty far over towards the light. The edge of the clear bra needs to stretch quite far in order for the foglight holes to line up with the pattern.[/QUOTE] Where did you get yours done?

[quote name='KGreb']My installer didn't have any real problems. He did say that it had to be pulled pretty tight around the fogs. He also said it would be a lot harder if it wasn't 90 degrees when he installed.[/QUOTE] My installer had huge problems with the the fog cutouts...they couldn't stretch the material enough to make it fit...a 5-1/2 hour tug of war. Probably made worse by the fact that it was under 50 degrees outside, and his shop wasn't much warmer. The usual material that my installer uses is far more flexible. He eventually made it fit by modifying the pieces quite a bit. I've not really had a chance to examine things in detail, due to continued rain and cloudy weather, but I can already see several problem areas, and there are probably many more. So: when looking for a Rockblocker installer, specifically ask if they have experience with the Scotchcal material. Ask for customer references. And make sure they can install it at elevated temperatures.

It's common for people to not visualize how that bumper piece will fit but it does. It really takes some stretching. We'll post some pics of Jim's car on sunday so you can compare. I may even have my car done too since I'm picking it up tonight. -Lee

[quote name='leeberbs']It's common for people to not visualize how that bumper piece will fit but it does. It really takes some stretching. We'll post some pics of Jim's car on sunday so you can compare. I may even have my car done too since I'm picking it up tonight. -Lee[/QUOTE] Great! Then I'll post my Frankenstein bumper pics...just in time for Halloween

When I first read the title I thought it said c@ckblocker bra installed. I was like holy poop this should be in the tikki lounge. Hes getting away with it here.....thought maybe we took a corner on this forum that i didn't know about. :lol:
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']When I first read the title I thought it said c@ckblocker bra installed. I was like holy poop this should be in the tikki lounge. Hes getting away with it here.....thought maybe we took a corner on this forum that i didn't know about. :lol:[/QUOTE] Boxer, I'm sure even the word BRA must have gotten you all sweaty! Trying to imagine what a c@ckblocker bra would look like...lots of wires, plates, hey, maybe even booby-trapped!

[quote name='nomoreS4']Boxer, I'm sure even the word BRA must have gotten you all sweaty! Trying to imagine what a c@ckblocker bra would look like...lots of wires, plates, hey, maybe even booby-trapped![/QUOTE] Actually I was think along the lines of a chastity belt for a set of tata's :D
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[quote name='agctr']nomoreS4 so has your installer offered you anything in compensation to fix the dodgy job? Adam.[/QUOTE] Nada. Even wanted to charge me extra since it took them much longer than anticipated. I'll wait to see exactly how bad it is once we get some dry weather and sunshine...pretty much 10 days of non-stop rain here in Toronto. Getting Nokian WR's mounted on Rota SDRs today, in preparation for winter. Strange combo; Philippine rims with Finnish tires on a Japanese car assembled in the US!

Just had my rockblocker partial kit installed today. Word for the wise-notify the installer that the front hood bra is cut a little short all around. That way, if you want to have the bra roll-over a little into the front edge of the hood (which I recommend in order to provide full frontal protection of the hood), the installer will know to place bra a little lower on the front of the hood. My installer didn't figure this out until too late, since he worked from top to bottom of the hood.

Installed my headlight covers today. Didn't have too big a time with it, even though it was below 50 degrees. I do have some crappy looking spots though that I hope will come out with heat and time. Anyone have the headlight C@ckblockers yet??

I have the Rockblocker headlight covers on my Legacy and WRX. Some of the spots will dry out, but the air bubbles won't. I put the covers on my WRX last year and have learned to live with the spots. My Legacy covers came out a little better. I only had one real issue with the Legacy covers. It was caused by me being an idiot.

I had my Rockblocker clear bra placed yesterday by leeberbs. Came out great! I did the full front of the car, hood intake, door edges and fogs. I didn't do the headlights due to a spider taking up residence in my right headlight. Tons of webs. Will have subaru fix then have light covers placed.

OK, I have seen some posts on the Rockblocker and I have a few questions. Wont the rest of the car get rock nicks, etc and the front will look out of place because it will have no wear? Can you and do you wax over the Rockblocker? If you wax your car wont the rest of the car have a nice shine except for the front? Does the Rockblocker have UV protection... if so wont other parts of the car naturally fade and the front will look out of place because it will not fade? If you put one on at what point do you take it off, if ever? I ask these questions because I can remember people who put a leather bra on their car and when they took it off the front was perfect and the rest of the car showed wear.

The kit covers the parts of the car that are most exposed to damage from road debris. Usually it's verticle forward facing surfaces. Once the material cures properly (around 3 weeks but sometimes longer in colder climates) you can wax it as you would the rest of the car just as long as you are careful with the edges. I would check with Rockblocker about using products like Zaino though. 3M Scotchgard (the material used in Rockblocker kits) contains UV inhibitors to keep the film from fading, yellowing, cracking, or hazing. The application is meant to stay on the car but if for some reason you needed it removed it's not difficult. -Lee

You can wash and wax the clear bra three days after the install. Yes it has UV protection in it. So if you wax the film and not your car then the rest will look like crap. Sure the whole car can get chips etc, but do you have $3000 to do the whole car? The high impact areas and the areas that get the most damage is the front end that is why you want to cover it with a clear bra. To prevent damage to the front end. This product does not have the same bad side-effects as the black bra did. The product is guaranteed for as long as you own the car so you dont need to take it off ever. Hopefully this helps a bit. If you have any other questions let me know. Chad

Archived