LegacyGT.com

Reverse not working '93 Legacy Wagon

New to Forum and recently new to owning a Subaru.

My son's 93 Legacy Wagon has a problem with the reverse not working. He said he could rev the engine up and it would move very slow in reverse. Sometimes it will work fine. Just started this problem today.

Could it just be time for a transmission flush and filter change or is this something more? I plan on taking it into a Subaru shop tomorrow but wanted to find out what to expect and tell my Son.

Thanks,

Dave

• I Donated
New to Forum and recently new to owning a Subaru.

My son's 93 Legacy Wagon has a problem with the reverse not working. He said he could rev the engine up and it would move very slow in reverse. Sometimes it will work fine. Just started this problem today.

Could it just be time for a transmission flush and filter change or is this something more? I plan on taking it into a Subaru shop tomorrow but wanted to find out what to expect and tell my Son.

Thanks,

Dave

Not to sound picky, but Second Generation Legacys (what this section is for) are 1995 - 1999. Your 1993 is a First Generation.

On to the point. My 1993 Legacy L sedan had the same problem. Reverse would seem to work better when the it was cool outside and the car hadn't been driven for awhile. If it was hot outside or if I allowed the car to warm up, I would have to rev the engine really high to reach a snails pace in reverse.

I believe the bands inside your transmission are starting to wear out. You're better off hunting down a used transmission and having that installed rather then repairing your current one. Buying / Installing a used transmission will be A LOT cheaper then rebuilding the current one.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
our years are listed as 93 to 99... on this site.

haha now that i look I see that. why is there an overlap. first gen is to 94, and second gen is 93+?

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I'm new enough to Subarus that I don't know if it's a first or second. I know that it's not a 'boxy' looking one but the next generation with rounded corners.

That sucks if you are right about needing a new transmission... this has been a money pit from day one... I should have taken the warning. It only had 150,00 miles so I 'thought' it would still have some life left. It's my son's first car and he's kind of fell in love with it and made it his own. Looks like Santa will have to put more money into it.... again....

Thanks for your help everyone.

Dave

Guess the lesson is to stay away from 95's with a 150K on them ;-)

interesting point.

my 95 auto trans went out at 166k, but i had driven it for 90k miles and never changed the trans fluid. and i bought it as a repo, so no telling when / if the previous owner ever changed it.

but it is still going at 220k looking at a timing belt soon. it leaks oil like a cheap hamburger but it's still running.

I may make a different post about this but we found a used transmission for $100.00 and we have a mechanic that's going to install it at a reasonable cost so we're going to give it a try.

It supposedly was owned by a "Mechanic" who wrecked it and parted it out. It has around 130,000 on it and he supposedly kept up on the maintenance but I have a concern. While checking the fluids to see if they looked or smelled burnt, the transmission ATF looked and smelled good. But... the Differential case had ATF in it as well. I've been told in the past that the differential case takes differential oil that is thicker and a different color. Is this true? If it had ATF in it for an extended period of time, what will it do to the differential?

Thanks,

Dave

• I Donated

Yeah there are two different dipsticks and fill spots....two different kinds of fluids.

100 bucks for a transmission isn't a bad price IF ITS WORKING... the second fill tube (on the passenger side if I remember right. Its been 4 years since I've had an automatic) is the front diff. It takes 80w90 gear oil. ATF fluid is hydrolic fluid. Gear oil is......well uh oil. Big difference haha.

If a "mechanic" owned this transmission and filled up the diff with trans fluid, then he obviously isn't a very good mechanic. I'm thinking he didn't know what he was doing when he tried to do a trans service.....The front diff is likely screwed up from trying to run on transmission fluid.

Your best bet is to get a second outside opinion on the transmission. Have a third party look at it or someone you know thats good with transmissions. Or you could even work out some kind of deal with the guy selling it to let you put it in your car and test it for a week before paying for it considering the circumstances

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived