LegacyGT.com

Rev limter dropped to 4250??

I have a 96 legacy 2.2 with 308,000 on it and quite often the rev limiter is at 4200 or so instead of 6k. If I shut the car off and then turn it back on it will be back to normal for a bit. Has anyone heard of this? I have a CEL on that I have to get codes from but I have searched for hours on google and found only one thread about this and no answer.

I know that I need to provide more info to help diagnose but I am more or less just trying to figure out if anyone has heard of this happening. Thanks

Auto. It does it under load and in neutral. I just borrowed a scan tool from a buddy and this is what i got:

PO100 - MAF or VAF circuit malfunction

PO120 - TPS/Pedal position sensor A circuit malfunction

PO500 - Speed sensor malfunction (this always comes on in winter when I do AWD donuts)

PO505 - Idle Control system malfunction (It idles low at times, I have an IAC to put in but just have not had the time. I assume it is the problem, if not it was like $5 at a junk yard)

Oh interesting, Yea they both work. It did throw that code but that one comes up every winter it seems like.

I got the CEL last winter but it went away on it's own. Came back this winter with no speedo or odometer. I just had the VSS replaced at the dealership for $183.

I know on 240sx's when the MAF goes bad they won't rev past something like 3-3.5k? RPM's. Try giving it a cleaning. If that doesn't work. Test your TPS. I DOUBT a speed sensor would lower a rev limiter.

Dbrisky, would you happen to be in the tri-state area? I have tons of spare parts that would make trouble shooting a breeze

I live in western Ny, I have a throttle position sensor and an idle air control so I will try to switch those. Where are you located?

Your TPS is what is causing the rev limiter to be so low. Mine is in the same boat right now.

Thanks for all the replies so far

I know on 240sx's when the MAF goes bad they won't rev past something like 3-3.5k? RPM's. Try giving it a cleaning. If that doesn't work. Test your TPS. I DOUBT a speed sensor would lower a rev limiter.

what would one use to clean the MAF, carb cleaner?

what would one use to clean the MAF, carb cleaner?

eh, it would work but preferably there is cleaner specifically for electrical connectors that can be found at just about any auto parts store

And I'm in ulster county, PM me if thats any place reasonably close to where you are

alright Ill check into that. I live close to a Pick your own parts junk yard where they basically give parts away so I don't mind throwing parts at it to eliminate possibilities. The most expensive part in the yard is $99.95 and that is a complete engine.

I cleaned the IAC and the MAF and also changed the throttle position sensor with a used one. For some reason it feels like it ha way more power now, I am not complaining but I wonder what would have caused that.

The idle is still low, I searched high and low on how to adjust the TPS and found a lot of conflicting procedures, the hanes manual basically just says how to replace it and test for 5V coming from computer. It is the three wire sensor, does anyone know how to adjust. The throttle feels jerky at times now, mostly at highway speed when I am on and off the pedal.

Thanks for the help so far!

Archived