LegacyGT.com

Replacing ABS Brake Pads - Settle a Dispute

dease42

So I'm talking to my friends, telling them I need to do my brakes, and we get into a discussion on whether you should change both Front and Rear pads at the same time.

I've always heard you should on 4-wheel Anti-Lock equipped cars, it's even in the owner's manual, and in the past I've replaced only the front, and the braking system felt very out of balance (subjective of course).

Any "expert" opinions on whether it matters? :)

(BTW - The rear pads aren't nearly as eaten as the fronts)

Thanks!

The brake pads don't know there's ABS on the car. Change the pads that need it. Changing all for the sake of changing all four equates to "If you have the money to spend, sure, go ahead and replace what might be perfectly good pads."
SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

So I'm talking to my friends, telling them I need to do my brakes, and we get into a discussion on whether you should change both Front and Rear pads at the same time.

I've always heard you should on 4-wheel Anti-Lock equipped cars, it's even in the owner's manual, and in the past I've replaced only the front, and the braking system felt very out of balance (subjective of course).

Any "expert" opinions on whether it matters? :)

(BTW - The rear pads aren't nearly as eaten as the fronts)

Thanks!

I have never had problems with changing just the fronts or rears on any of my cars in the last...I dunno....20 years. These were all ABS cars too. The only thing I have ever noticed was better braking since I usually replaced with better pads:)

This issue may have come up back in the old days when ABS was a single or dual-channel setup (for cost reasons). In other words, there was only one "channel" for ABS to actuate a set of wheels, instead of each individually. In such a situation, I would agree that all pads on the same "channel" should be the same, otherwise you'd slip one wheel and not the other.

But, that's a crappy ABS design anyway, and most systems are 4-channel now... so it doesn't matter anymore. Bottom line, change the pads you want. I would recommend doing pairs (left-right)... and doing all 4 would retain brake balance front to back, but otherwise, it's not that big of a deal, I imagine, unless you drive the car really hard and can tell the difference in brake balance.

Thanks all, should be able to save some $$ and just replace the fronts then.

This issue may have come up back in the old days when ABS was a single or dual-channel setup (for cost reasons). In other words, there was only one "channel" for ABS to actuate a set of wheels, instead of each individually. In such a situation, I would agree that all pads on the same "channel" should be the same, otherwise you'd slip one wheel and not the other.

That makes sense, and considering I got most of my "car-IQ" from my dad, who stopped working on cars regularly 20 years ago, it also makes sense where I got this idea :D

Presumably we're talking about using the same brand/type pad as the OE pad? If you go to a much more aggressive front pad (higher coefficient of friction) you would affect brake balance. Too much front bias and you might not stop as well in an emergency if the rear ABS has to work overtime.

Presumably we're talking about using the same brand/type pad as the OE pad? If you go to a much more aggressive front pad (higher coefficient of friction) you would affect brake balance. Too much front bias and you might not stop as well in an emergency if the rear ABS has to work overtime.

Yes, OEM for now is what I'm planning.

That makes a lot of sense though. The "imbalance" I referred to... I had put Hawk HPS pads up front, but left the rears as OEM... +1 :)

HPS pads don't seem to be any more aggressive than OEM. If there is a HUGE difference in pad height - I'd consider all four new pads...but as long as the rears have more than half-left, and otherwise look good, you'd be fine.

The HPS pads I put on my car just a week or so ago made a MAJOR difference in brake pedal feel, if nothing else. As for braking performance, I believe they're better since the stockers could barely lockup the wheels on dry pavement, but the HPS can do so more reliably... hence, they must be braking harder.

Wonder what's wrong with my set - There was no, zero, none, ziltch, improvement in any aspect of braking swapping from OEM to HPS.

Did you bed the HPS pads?

And the mu on the HPS pads is atleast 25% greater than the mu on the stock pads, which means you will immediately have 1/4 more force in the front if you only switch the front (read, this is a bad thing)

:spin:

Did bed the pads. Car stops the same. Mushy brake feel and no initial bite. I'm used to terrific braking, however - so that may play into it.

Wonder what's wrong with my set - There was no, zero, none, ziltch, improvement in any aspect of braking swapping from OEM to HPS.
Very weird... especially since I did NOTHING more than just replace the pads - no bleed, no new rotors, etc. Just the pads (and a good job cleaning up the pad-areas in the caliper, of course)...

I bedded them, and then let them cool before parking the car... it's a world of difference.

Archived