LegacyGT.com

Removing tree sap rings?

I used bug and tar remover, and most of the sap wiped right off. Now I've got rings and blotches left where the sap was. I've tried Clay Magic, WD-40, Goo Gone, nothing is working. I'm going to have someone try to buff it out tonight... But if that doesn't work, what are my options?

The hood is disgusting looking. I might just pay to have it repainted if it doesn't cost an arm and leg. Anyone know a rough estimate for regal blue on an 05 GT Limited?

I'm in 100% agreement with MiniStiGuy. Especially if it sat there for a while. But it's also possible that the heat from the engine was a contributing factor if the rings are just on the hood and not on the roof as well.

Get it polished and then be sure to protect it.

they obviously didn't know how to buff if they are leaving swirls.

I'd suggest if that if you enjoy your car looking good and don't mind spending time on it yourself that you get yourself a Porter Cable random orbital buffer and some polishes and learn to do some of it yourself.

A great website is Autogeek.net and they have AWESOME forums with a lot of knowledge and helpful professional detailers to help you out.

I had a tree branch at my work fall on my car's roof and drag off the back over the trunk. The roof has 3 little door ding like dents now and the trunk has scratches across it as well as the back bumper. It wasn't a heavy branch so the scratches are just in the clear but the damn dents I can't do shit about which pisses me off.

they obviously didn't know how to buff if they are leaving swirls.

I'd suggest if that if you enjoy your car looking good and don't mind spending time on it yourself that you get yourself a Porter Cable random orbital buffer and some polishes and learn to do some of it yourself.

A great website is Autogeek.net and they have AWESOME forums with a lot of knowledge and helpful professional detailers to help you out.

+1 If it was buffed properly it would show no swirls. Sounds like someone missed the last/final step in buffing. Or just used too course a pad/polish.

I had a tree branch at my work fall on my car's roof and drag off the back over the trunk. The roof has 3 little door ding like dents now and the trunk has scratches across it as well as the back bumper. It wasn't a heavy branch so the scratches are just in the clear but the damn dents I can't do shit about which pisses me off.

No pic on the dents but, I have had good luck with the pantless dent removers. They can't remove a crease in the metal - costs nothing to have them look.

Repainting will likely run a minimum of $400 and could be as high as $800. It is not crap. You may be able to cut the paint with a polisher, as already suggested, but you may also want to consider hiring someone to do just the damaged panel. That will cost you less than a hundred bucks. Getting the right tools for the job will cost a minimum of something north of $150. The upside of that will be that you can do the whole car whenever you want and will be able to repair the damage again when it happens. Sap happens, so I'm glad I can sort it out when I need to. :)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

But it's also possible that the heat from the engine was a contributing factor if the rings are just on the hood and not on the roof as well.

I'm almost 100% sure this is the problem. When the hood is cool they're almost hidden. But after it heats up, they're back out. If you scratch with your fingernail, it breaks up, but it's in there good.

Hang on a second then! When you use the clay bar, do you still feel the clay bar rubbing on the "rings"? Or does it glide perfectly over them without feeling any catch? If you can rub the rings off at times, it may be that you just need to spend more time with the clay bar until ALL the residue is off. Sometimes working the clay bar can take some time depending on what is stuck to your paint.

Archived